2019 CX-5 Headlight Replacement

Hey all. I was in a minor accident several months ago and had my right passenger light assembly replaced. It has sense turned on the error light on the dashboard and my dealership has told me the light is defective. The body shop where I had the work complete will not replace the assembly. The dealership quoted me around $1500 to replace it. I have been looking at replacements on eBay for 200-300 as I am very capable to change it out myself.

My question is some of the posts say that "Programming is needed." Is this accurate or just something they are saying to cover themselves? Can I just buy a replacement assembly and install it?

Last edited:
I would contact your insurance company. They should cover it, or pressure the shop to.

I would contact your insurance company. They should cover it, or pressure the shop to.
Already went that route and was told it was the shops responsibility. The shop told me their supplier would not replace it. Everyone just passes the buck so I decided to take care of it myself.

Hey all. I was in a minor accident several months ago and had my right passenger light assembly replaced. It has sense turned on the error light on the dashboard and my dealership has told me the light is defective. The body shop where I had the work complete will not replace the assembly. The dealership quoted me around $1500 to replace it. I have been looking at replacements on eBay for 200-300 as I am very capable to change it out myself.

My question is some of the posts say that "Programming is needed." Is this accurate or just something they are saying to cover themselves? Can I just buy a replacement assembly and install it?

Shouldnt need programmed unless newer models now require it.

Should only take you 1/2 hour to 1 hour to install. Should be like my other SUVs, just unbolt/unscrew and take off the panels, front bumper, etc and pull apart/wedge it off. Just remember to buy extra plastic rivets fasteners. They always fall off and get lost or break apart.

Sounds like the body shop put in a cheap aftermarket light assembly that's not compatible with your car. Body shop's fault and they should make it right!

Sounds like the body shop put in a cheap aftermarket light assembly that's not compatible with your car. Body shop's fault and they should make it right!
Just another reason I use dealer body shop for insurance repairs.
Dealer for warranty claims , dealer body for insurance claims, DIY & local mechanic for car repair & maintenance.

Dealer body shops don't want to lose their preferred status as insurance repair shops so they fix it right and usually offer lifetime guarantees on the work.

You out could ask your insurance company to speak to the body shop. But if the body shop doesn't do that much business for your insurance company then they probably don't care.

Next time choose a body shop from the insurance company list.

Just another reason I use dealer body shop for insurance repairs.
Dealer for warranty claims , dealer body for insurance claims, DIY & local mechanic for car repair & maintenance.

Dealer body shops don't want to lose their preferred status as insurance repair shops so they fix it right and usually offer lifetime guarantees on the work.

You out could ask your insurance company to speak to the body shop. But if the body shop doesn't do that much business for your insurance company then they probably don't care.

Next time choose a body shop from the insurance company list.
Oh yeah lesson learned. I was going to use the dealer in the beginning but it was going to be a huge hassle to get a rental and my local guys treated me well last time. Never again!

I was under the impression since my car was so new they had to use OEM parts, because that was the policy on my last car. I guess they had permission to use salvage or aftermarket parts this time for whatever reason.

Oh yeah lesson learned. I was going to use the dealer in the beginning but it was going to be a huge hassle to get a rental and my local guys treated me well last time. Never again!

I was under the impression since my car was so new they had to use OEM parts, because that was the policy on my last car. I guess they had permission to use salvage or aftermarket parts this time for whatever reason.
Yeah. The dealer guarantees everything for lifetime. So while they may re-use and re-bend your fender, they'll tell insurance company you need new headlight, etc.

Yeah. The dealer guarantees everything for lifetime. So while they may re-use and re-bend your fender, they'll tell insurance company you need new headlight, etc.
And this place does guarantee their body work, they actually did some work on another of my vehicles twice because of a painting mistake, but apparently not new devices they put on the car.

What year and what trim level? Different trim may have different headlights. And programming shouldn’t be required even if your CX-5 has the AFS, But some “adjustments” may be required.

Shouldnt need programmed unless newer models now require it.

Should only take you 1/2 hour to 1 hour to install. Should be like my other SUVs, just unbolt/unscrew and take off the panels, front bumper, etc and pull apart/wedge it off. Just remember to buy extra plastic rivets fasteners. They always fall off and get lost or break apart.
Thank you! Any suggestions where I can get the plastic rivets? There are actually a couple missing so I need them anyway.

If you want to replace the headlight of the 2019 CX-5, then go to a local mechanic or garage. They have second-hand headlights. You will get the headlights at an excellent rate if you negotiate a little.

If you want to replace the headlight of the 2019 CX-5, then go to a local mechanic or garage. They have second-hand headlights. You will get the headlights at an excellent rate if you negotiate a little.
He could also go to junkyard. But most adaptive headlights are running around $700 to $1100 even at salvage yards.
Non-adaptives from $125 to $700.

Plus if he's tearing it apart with all the time involved if he can get a brand new aftermarket for $300, probably his best option.

Just needs to make sure he's getting adaptive if that's what's already in vehicle.

Look at Rock Auto. Some come certified as equal to OEM, at a price.

I have had a good experience with Auto Parts Fair, now Automotix.net. They are a network of salvage yards that disassemble and store parts. I bought a transmission from them that was strapped to a pallet and shelved. They ship, but I picked it up and they loaded it into my pickup gently. The whole thing came of as a quality operation. This yard was in south Atlanta. They are showing OEM Headlights listed on eBay, now.

I checked the mazdaswag.com.
For 2019 CX5.
It costs much more w/ directional beams.
These are new ones, not refurbished.

1671148592010.png

Back