Impressions of the CX-50

I love Mazda and my intention isn't to simp for MT here, but I do think some of their comments ring true to be honest. Particularly for buyers who are going to directly cross-shop this with a Subaru I think many of those shoppers are going to come away thinking the CX-50 rides harshly and feels darty in direct comparison. Mazda engineers have a clear commitment to attaining certain vehicle dynamics and handling targets for every vehicle in their lineup but their focus feels out of step with what buyers in these categories actually care about. The Outback will feel a little more comfortable and have a little more usable space in the back and that will carry the day for them 90% of the time.

Will take delivery of my Mazda CX-50 Premium Plus Pkg. April 2nd. Could not be happier with the upgrade from CX 5.
Was told by my dealer that I was about the 1st buyer in the Tampa Bay area.
Congratulations! You might be the first to have one here…You could have the first “New CX-50 Owner” thread…😁

As I have been driving the CX-50 Premium Plus I noticed some odd options that don't always translate up to the Turbo base model such as power folding side mirrors, ventilated seats.
I have the Head Up Display on my windshield but there is no Sign Recognition on mine as I had with my old 2018 CX-5. Not what I was expecting but I will deal with it.

As I have been driving the CX-50 Premium Plus I noticed some odd options that don't always translate up to the Turbo base model such as power folding side mirrors, ventilated seats.
I have the Head Up Display on my windshield but there is no Sign Recognition on mine as I had with my old 2018 CX-5. Not what I was expecting but I will deal with it.
For sign recognition, you need a GPS SD card. You can get one from dealer for $350 or Amazon for $50. Don't ask me which one is genuine.... you decide.

I got to see one in person today at an art festival partially sponsored by the local Mazda dealer. I didn’t have high expectations and I went into it with Mazda’s “built for the outdoor adventure” marketing in my head.

I wasn’t really feeling the outdoors angle at all to be honest. I really like the styling of the exterior, but I wasn’t thinking the interior was any more durable than previous Mazda models. I prefer my mother in laws 2018 CX-5 interior styling over the CX-50 to be honest. I found the seats just kind of plain. They didn’t seem to have that premium look the Cx-5 had. And there’s something about my RAV4’s SofTex and interior that I find more rugged and durable. Maybe it’s because my Toyota is cheaper looking inside? The slightly bumpy texture vs smooth plastic? I don’t know.

Do any CX-50 trims come with painted wheel well cladding? I hope so, I’m digging that on my RAV4 Hybrid XSE and I hope Mazda offers that for the CX-50.

Anyway, I was a little confused after seeing it in person. It’s a great SUV but I felt like the outdoor marketing was off. My RAV4 gives me that feeling, but the Cx-50 didn’t. I am looking forward to future electrification plans though. It will be a real contender to replace my ‘13 CX-5 down the road if they electrify it in some manner.

The Meridian edition of CX-50 likely will be more for off-roading.
I only know that it has 17" wheels.
That makes more sense. I went back and checked the marketing and articles, and it sounds like they’re selling an off-road mode really hard for the CX-50 in general. It sounds like clever programming in conjunction with the vectoring system. 20” wheels don’t scream rugged or off-road to me.Ride height and an airy cabin do :D

I didn’t really like the 19” wheels on my ‘19 RAV4 XLE Premium for soft-roading, and I’m glad my ‘21 Hybrid XSE has the 18”. It was a blast to drive in Bankhead National Forest even with the stock Michelin Primacy tires. It ran on EV only for at least three or four miles in and back out. I’m stoked if Mazda can bring that feeling to the Cx-50 with future electrification updates!

Being a new design, I was hoping for a foot activated back door like on the CX-9 but it's not available. Many compact crossovers have that feature nowadays; perhaps a mid cycle refresh will offer it in a couple of years.

I love Mazda and my intention isn't to simp for MT here, but I do think some of their comments ring true to be honest. Particularly for buyers who are going to directly cross-shop this with a Subaru I think many of those shoppers are going to come away thinking the CX-50 rides harshly and feels darty in direct comparison. Mazda engineers have a clear commitment to attaining certain vehicle dynamics and handling targets for every vehicle in their lineup but their focus feels out of step with what buyers in these categories actually care about. The Outback will feel a little more comfortable and have a little more usable space in the back and that will carry the day for them 90% of the time.
You couldn't be more right. I came from an Outback to the CX-50 in August and I regret the decision. I saw the CX-50 as a more refined and better handling version of the Outback/Forester with a high quality and sophisticated interior that Subaru lacks. I was not ready for the overly harsh ride compared to an Outback. It is significantly worse on my highway commute. I would alter your claim and say the Outback has significantly better ride comfort and is much more roomy inside.

You couldn't be more right. I came from an Outback to the CX-50 in August and I regret the decision. I saw the CX-50 as a more refined and better handling version of the Outback/Forester with a high quality and sophisticated interior that Subaru lacks. I was not ready for the overly harsh ride compared to an Outback. It is significantly worse on my highway commute. I would alter your claim and say the Outback has significantly better ride comfort and is much more roomy inside.

Did you buy the CX-50 sight unseen, without a test drive?

Have you checked the tires to make sure they aren't overinflated? Some new vehicles are delivered with the tires overinflated, resulting in stiffer, less comfortable ride. The tire pressures are supposed to be checked and adjusted before delivery, but sometimes that step is missed or skipped.

Did you buy the CX-50 sight unseen, without a test drive?

Have you checked the tires to make sure they aren't overinflated? Some new vehicles are delivered with the tires overinflated, resulting in stiffer, less comfortable ride. The tire pressures are supposed to be checked and adjusted before delivery, but sometimes that step is missed or skipped.
I test drove it. Only once though. I should have taken more time. The tire pressure was too high when I received the car. I do notice going to 32 or 33 psi instead of 35 does take a little of the edge off. I also wonder if better tires would help at all.

I too came from an outback and while it was a great car. It did have its issues. The cvt was a bit funky Put in drive and it would launch forward. The car was comfortable and bigger than the 50, but I bought the 50 for its sportiness. Yes you feel the bumps but the overall driving experience in my opinion is superior. The interior on the outback was nice but does not compare to the 50( I had a 16 limited. ) To me the 50 is the right balance of size,power,tech and luxury(not over the top). I didn't bother to test drive the 22 outback. The hvac controls being integrated with the touchscreen was a deal breaker for me. I like the separate controls the 50 has. Three months with the 50 have been great, no major issues and I look forward to driving it every day.

I too came from an outback and while it was a great car. It did have its issues. The cvt was a bit funky Put in drive and it would launch forward. The car was comfortable and bigger than the 50, but I bought the 50 for its sportiness. Yes you feel the bumps but the overall driving experience in my opinion is superior. The interior on the outback was nice but does not compare to the 50( I had a 16 limited. ) To me the 50 is the right balance of size,power,tech and luxury(not over the top). I didn't bother to test drive the 22 outback. The hvac controls being integrated with the touchscreen was a deal breaker for me. I like the separate controls the 50 has. Three months with the 50 have been great, no major issues and I look forward to driving it every day.
I agree that the CX-50 has better overall drive characteristics. And a far superior interior. And yes, the Subaru infotainment is a mess. I do still wish the CX-50 ride were just a bit more compliant than it is.

I’ve had my TPP for 3 weeks and haven’t found anything significant about the vehicle that I dislike. Well, I don’t like the dampered opening of the glove box- seems weird and unnessary - but that is not a significant gripe. Mostly I really like the vehicle. I think the steering is quite good and have not experienced any of the wandering or uncentered feeling that some have mentioned. Generally that indicates the alignment is off more than anything…
Also, my CX-50 has none of the squeeks, groans or leaks that have been mentioned by others. I did find (and noticed during my test driving) that the 20-inch Goodyear Tourings were slightly harsh. They are 45 series rubber, so a little harshness to be expected without some really top-notch (read ‘after market’) shocks. Plus, the 20” wheels are quite heavy which adds a lot to the heavy feel of the jounce response. So I dropped to 19” wheels (BBS SR, Tire Rack) and went up to 50 series Conti DWS06+ and this was a nice improvement in ride and handling, although not a cheap change to make.
(If anybody wants to buy the 20’s I’ll make a good deal - they only have about 40 miles on them)
This is going long so let me just say I’m a happy new owner, no issues, car is what I thought it was. Satisfaction is the alignment of expectation and experience.

I’ve had my TPP for 3 weeks and haven’t found anything significant about the vehicle that I dislike. Well, I don’t like the dampered opening of the glove box- seems weird and unnessary - but that is not a significant gripe. Mostly I really like the vehicle. I think the steering is quite good and have not experienced any of the wandering or uncentered feeling that some have mentioned. Generally that indicates the alignment is off more than anything…
Also, my CX-50 has none of the squeeks, groans or leaks that have been mentioned by others. I did find (and noticed during my test driving) that the 20-inch Goodyear Tourings were slightly harsh. They are 45 series rubber, so a little harshness to be expected without some really top-notch (read ‘after market’) shocks. Plus, the 20” wheels are quite heavy which adds a lot to the heavy feel of the jounce response. So I dropped to 19” wheels (BBS SR, Tire Rack) and went up to 50 series Conti DWS06+ and this was a nice improvement in ride and handling, although not a cheap change to make.
(If anybody wants to buy the 20’s I’ll make a good deal - they only have about 40 miles on them)
This is going long so let me just say I’m a happy new owner, no issues, car is what I thought it was. Satisfaction is the alignment of expectation and experience.

Feel free to list your 20s for sale in our free-to-use Marketplace! Just remember to write "mazdas247", your username, and the current date on a piece of paper and take a photo of the wheels with the paper. Include this photo in your listing and you'll be good to go!

Hard to call that a long-term review if they don't include winter, especially with them being in Canada. My wife and I found a couple significant shortcomings living with ours in northern Michigan and seeing our typical snowfalls. Wrote it up HERE after quite the nice write-up by @Digbicks1234

Back