OEM Yokohama tires wear out after 35k? Cost effective replacements?

I've had tires done at Wal-Mart in the past without issue. As a plus, if you get a rotation or something done in the future, they could do that while you shop for groceries and such .

As far as Road Hazard warranty, you pay $10/tire up front when you purchase or install and if you get a flat that is repairable, Wal-Mart will take care of it free of charge. If it's not repairable, they'll replace it at a pro-rated price (i.e. if your tire is 30% worn, you'd get a 70% discount off of a new tire).

It just comes down to your own personal feelings and financial situation/cash flow. Do you find yourself getting many flats or blowouts? Picking up nails or screws, live in an urban area with really nasty roads or a cold climate that gets lots of potholes? Do you have a tight budget or a cash flow situation where dropping $150-$200 for a new tire would cause a big problem? Those are the things that may make a Road Hazard Warranty the right choice for you.

Whereas if you rarely have a tire problem and/or if you did have an issue your financial situation allows you to more easily absorb the hit then save your money.

The only Walmart service I would consider would be a battery. And the last time the guy looked at the application guide and was ready to put in the wrong battery. No, wrong, I pointed to the right entry in the guide. He then said those were out of stock. I guess just any ol' battery will do.
Well the nearest Walmart that installs Tires is forty miles away. I just have them ship them to me then I take them to Les Schwab 4 miles away and they mount them and do my alignment all at the same store takes about two hours with an appointment!

Well the nearest Walmart that installs Tires is forty miles away. I just have them ship them to me then I take them to Les Schwab 4 miles away and they mount them and do my alignment all at the same store takes about two hours with an appointment!
I've had tires done at Wal-Mart in the past without issue. As a plus, if you get a rotation or something done in the future, they could do that while you shop for groceries and such .

As far as Road Hazard warranty, you pay $10/tire up front when you purchase or install and if you get a flat that is repairable, Wal-Mart will take care of it free of charge. If it's not repairable, they'll replace it at a pro-rated price (i.e. if your tire is 30% worn, you'd get a 70% discount off of a new tire).

It just comes down to your own personal feelings and financial situation/cash flow. Do you find yourself getting many flats or blowouts? Picking up nails or screws, live in an urban area with really nasty roads or a cold climate that gets lots of potholes? Do you have a tight budget or a cash flow situation where dropping $150-$200 for a new tire would cause a big problem? Those are the things that may make a Road Hazard Warranty the right choice for you.

Whereas if you rarely have a tire problem and/or if you did have an issue your financial situation allows you to more easily absorb the hit then save your money.
Gotcha.

I'm going to pass since I rarely get nails. I will have to get an alignment which is 90 bucks at my local tire dealer or should I spring for 200 lifetime alignment at firestone?

Anything I should check once they install other than a ride that seems off? This will be the first time I use Walmart.
Installing tires is not rocket science and there's not much to check out. It just so happens the guys working the desk at my local Walmart the few times I've gone for a battery or to ask a question seem frazzled or in a hurry or in that one case couldn't read the application guide. You might get a better vibe at your shop.

It's highly unlikely anybody would install the wrong tires. But when they have you sign off on the work order check to make sure they ordered the right ones. That's the minimum no matter who is doing the work.

I presume you're getting a set of four. Somewhere along the line you should get a list of the freebies that come with the purchase--free rotations, etc.--and keep it with the receipt. If that does not come with the receipt ask for it or get it off the web site. Buying just a pair? The freebies may not come with that purchase. Find out what you get with a pair purchase if that's the case,

You could take a minute out of your life to confirm they installed the right ones before you drive away. The tires will be cold so you might as well check the tire pressure. You'd want to do that anyway so right then is as good a time as any. You could check for rim damage. I can't say I've ever take before pictures of rims but if you're anal about their appearance that's an additional precaution.

You are likely to have a favorable experience, just maybe not as likely as at a tire chain.

With the alignment ... Once again, it depends on your environment and condition of the tires that are coming off. Sure, you can get alignment checked/reset every month if you want to spend the money on the lifetime. Or if you live in an area with rough roads there is likely more chance of things getting out of wack and needing an adjustment.

I think about a few things when it comes to alignment ...

1) is there any abnormal behavior from the car i.e. "pulling" one way or another? (And that doesn't necessarily mean the alignment is out. It could be a tire problem)

2) is there a known incident. Hit a massive pothole that jarred your teeth? Ran over a parking lot landscape island curb at speed? Etc.

3) is there evidence in abnormal tire wear? Cupping, scalluping, etc?

If none of the above, drives normal, nothing known has happened, even tire wear I wouldn't spend any money on an alignment. I've had several vehicles that have never had an alignment and never had a problem.

Alignment jobs can be an easy source of revenue for shops. They offer "free" check and it's very easy for them to "lay a thumb on the scale" [wink wink] to show you it's out of spec and then "adjust" it back in. You have to find a shop you trust.

⋯ Alignment jobs can be an easy source of revenue for shops. They offer "free" check and it's very easy for them to "lay a thumb on the scale" [wink wink] to show you it's out of spec and then "adjust" it back in. You have to find a shop you trust.
So true! Still, I only go to an alignment shop where the alignment check is free. I always watch them doing the alignment at the Brakes Plus; and ask them to give me before-and-after print-out. I even ask the tech to adjust both sides of tie-rods making sure the steering wheel is still centered after the toe-in adjustment if it’s ever needed.

So true! Still, I only go to an alignment shop where the alignment check is free. I always watch them doing the alignment at the Brakes Plus; and ask them to give me before-and-after print-out. I even ask the tech to adjust both sides of tie-rods making sure the steering wheel is still centered after the toe-in adjustment if it’s ever needed.
Good point. I might do the same now. Did they ever give you a hard time if you ask them to do that?

Gotcha.

I'm going to pass since I rarely get nails. I will have to get an alignment which is 90 bucks at my local tire dealer or should I spring for 200 lifetime alignment at firestone?
I only trust my local mechanic to do my alignments. And heres why:

A long time ago, got the Firestone lifetime alignment on my first vehicle. Back then these needed scheduled and still took up a greater part of your day. But these alignment are conditional...read the fine print. Each time you take it in, they will try to sell you tires, oil changes, brake services, etc. They had repeatedly told me that they couldn't perform the alignments because other suspension components were damaged and needed replaced to the point they voided the lifetime alignments.
You name it, it was broke, tie rods, cv joints, ball joints, etc. This was on a car with less than 50,000 miles. My local mechanic verified there were no problems with the vehicle. But then are you gonna pay $300 an hour lawyer fees to get your $200 back??? Only get alignments when you need them. Lifetime alignment not worth the hassle. Goodyear is most likely the same setup.

And I am a faithful Firestone tire customer and have run them for years. Firestone tires yes. Firestone alignments no.

I only trust my local mechanic to do my alignments. And heres why:

A long time ago, got the Firestone lifetime alignment on my first vehicle. Back then these needed scheduled and still took up a greater part of your day. But these alignment are conditional...read the fine print. Each time you take it in, they will try to sell you tires, oil changes, brake services, etc. They had repeatedly told me that they couldn't perform the alignments because other suspension components were damaged and needed replaced to the point they voided the lifetime alignments.
You name it, it was broke, tie rods, cv joints, ball joints, etc. This was on a car with less than 50,000 miles. My local mechanic verified there were no problems with the vehicle. But then are you gonna pay $300 an hour lawyer fees to get your $200 back??? Only get alignments when you need them. Lifetime alignment not worth the hassle. Goodyear is most likely the same setup.

And I am a faithful Firestone tire customer and have run them for years. Firestone tires yes. Firestone alignments no.
nice, that's the catch. I was wondering why they were pushing it so hard when I called them.

nice, that's the catch. I was wondering why they were pushing it so hard when I called them.
Yeah... Probably the same no matter if it's an tire chain or an auto chain like pep boys, etc.

Also biggest complaint with those chain places is when they crank the lugs nuts on too tight.

Alignment jobs can be an easy source of revenue for shops. They offer "free" check and it's very easy for them to "lay a thumb on the scale" [wink wink] to show you it's out of spec and then "adjust" it back in. You have to find a shop you trust.
Free alignment checks without putting the car on the rack and taking measurements is worthless, just guessing. And they're not doing that for free unless it is an full free alignment with a purchase. When taking advantage of that freebie best to ask what it entails.

Free alignment checks without putting the car on the rack and taking measurements is worthless, just guessing. And they're not doing that for free unless it is an full free alignment with a purchase. When taking advantage of that freebie best to ask what it entails.
Oh, they put it up on the rack. Many of the shops around me will offer up a "free" alignment check ... "We'll check that for ya sir, no charge and let you know if everything is okay". They'll put it on the rack, hook up all sensors on the wheels, do everything necessary and print out the current reading.

At that point, you are still under no obligation to purchase an alignment, you could say thankyouverymuch, set my car down and I'll be on my way" no matter what the printout says. Or you tell them to go ahead and make alignment adjustments to "bring the car into spec" for $69 or $100 or whatever. It's really just a few minutes more work for the tech at that point.

The point I'm trying to make is the difference between "in spec" and "out of spec" they show you on a pretty little color coded printed out official paper from the machine might be .02° .... 2/100ths of ONE degree. On just one of the specs (toe, camber, caster, total toe, etc). Which can quite literally be just the tech pressing on a component just slightly to "show" it out of spec instead of your car actually being out of spec. Then bingo! Oh dang Mr Customer, yep it's out of spec .... .02 degrees!! You'll destroy your tires! Fear fear fear.!

The games service providers play. It's hard to find good help! I would love to do an alignment scam sting around my area with a car guaranteed certified correctly aligned and see how many shops scam you and say it's out of spec. My guess would be a majority.

Good point. I might do the same now. Did they ever give you a hard time if you ask them to do that?
One of the reason I choose these service stores, Discount Tire or Brakes Plus, is they’re pretty loose on forbidding customers to get close to the working area. I usually have no problems to talk to the tech directly at these 2 stores I use about my preferences of how the work is supposed to be done. Of course once I expressed my preferences, I’ll walk away and watch his work from the distance.

The shop will hook up the sensors and do the free alignment check just like HyFlyer said. The sensors from the latest Hunter HawkEye Elite® Alignment Machine used by my Brakes Plus are very easy to put on the wheels without any calibration like the older machines, see here.

I also agree with what HyFlyer said in previous post. My only alignment job on my CX-5 is right after I put on new Radar Dimax AS-8 tires at 44K miles. Honestly the front toe was fine during the initial check but the tech centered the steering wheel a bit off unintentionally which shifted the toe readout to out of spec. With the red specs on front toe-in showing on the screen and I agreed the tech to do the alignment. But after the test drive I noticed the steering wheel was off center a bit and I brought the CX-5 back. This time the manager was checking the alignment and he adjusted both tie-rods to center the streeting wheel, and also adjusted the rear right toe which now showing red. Yeah the wheel alignment can be tidious and the shop can easily make you feel you need an alignment.

Last edited:
I came across a good deal and ordered (online ) 4 of the new Pirelli Scorpion All Season Plus 3 tires today from Walmart for the 'rollback' price of $124.95 each. Size is 225/65/17 102H.

I've been looking at tires for a while and these check a lot of the right boxes and the price too good to pass up. Tire prices are getting a bit over the top. They should be delivered to my local Walmart (my choice) for pickup early next week.
After agonizing over 3 choices to replace my OEM Toyo's....Michelin CC2's, Continental LX25's or Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3's, I too, opted for the Pirelli's which was a new model released in May, 2021. I run separate winters so ruled the CC2's out as they are more of a true all weather tire, and the Pirelli's ranked higher overall in the features that I was looking for in an all season compared to the LX25's. After a month of use I am absolutely delighted with my Pirelli's!!!

After agonizing over 3 choices to replace my OEM Toyo's....Michelin CC2's, Continental LX25's or Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3's, I too, opted for the Pirelli's which was a new model released in May, 2021. I run separate winters so ruled the CC2's out as they are more of a true all weather tire, and the Pirelli's ranked higher overall in the features that I was looking for in an all season compared to the LX25's. After a month of use I am absolutely delighted with my Pirelli's!!!
Awesome! Glad to hear it. Mine were installed this past Sunday. I have less than 100 miles on them and they're getting better every day. After limiting speeds to less than 50 mph or so for the first 45 miles, I took them on the freeway. Nice and smooth up to 80 so far. Nice ride around town and backroads and handling good enough. Looks like a winner.

One of the reason I choose these service stores, Discount Tire or Brakes Plus, is they’re pretty loose on forbidding customers to get close to the working area. I usually have no problems to talk to the tech directly at these 2 stores I use about my preferences of how the work is supposed to be done. Of course once I expressed my preferences, I’ll walk away and watch his work from the distance.
Given how few Brakes Plus markets / stores there are I'm beginning to think you picked a city with a Discount Tire and a Brakes Plus when relocating and picked a house equidistant between them and the Mazda parts department. Just kidding.

Seriously, the only shop in my area that I can find that offers a free alignment check is a Firestone shop and I wouldn't even get my oil changed there. The Toyota dealer I sometimes frequent did advertise complimentary alignments at one time but not anymore. I operate under the assumption people don't like working for free unless it is to sell me something so I share HyFlyers cynicism that they'll find something wrong. Maybe if you're buying a set of tires or having a brake job done they'll let you off the hook. Of course if you buy something with a free service included that's another matter.

Given how few Brakes Plus markets / stores there are I'm beginning to think you picked a city with a Discount Tire and a Brakes Plus when relocating and picked a house equidistant between them and the Mazda parts department. Just kidding.
Ha! I wish that’s the case. Originally I didn’t know the America’s Tire in San Jose would honor everything on the tire work I’ve done at Discount Tire in Dallas. But when I needed a flat repair and went to an AT, I found they’re the same company with different names. AT can retrieve all my service history based on my phone number. Unfortunately there is no Brakes Plus in San Jose. I just have to find another good alignment shop in the area but I have much less frequent needs for an alignment job.

Awesome! Glad to hear it. Mine were installed this past Sunday. I have less than 100 miles on them and they're getting better every day. After limiting speeds to less than 50 mph or so for the first 45 miles, I took them on the freeway. Nice and smooth up to 80 so far. Nice ride around town and backroads and handling good enough. Looks like a winner.
Glad to hear your good experiences. I have to install mine on Monday. I tried calling the walmart auto center to confirm the appointment at 7 am and no one would pick up so I hope that isn't a bad sign...

Just got back from a 300 mile round trip on my new pirelli scorpion AS3s, with the return trip through the remnants of Nicole with heavy rain and a few down pours nearly the entire way. The tires were outstanding, always felt in control, super smooth and quiet. Can’t say enough about them. No drop in mileage, got 32mpg.

Back