Looking at a 2022 CX-9 Signature

:
2022 CX-9 GT 2.5L Turbo
2018 CX-5 GT 2.5L N/A CD [RETIRED]
I am seriously considering a 2022 CX9 Signature (or maybe a GT since I don't think 2nd row captains chairs are very family friendly). Anyone here know of anything I should be concerned about? Not necessarily from 2022, maybe 2021 or even 2020?

Thank you in advance!

Edited with more clarity.

Last edited:
Well, right off the bat you might take a look at these two threads. I have a 2019 CX-9 GT FWD with about 17K miles on it and so far no trouble.

According to Mazda they have made changes to alleviate the issue (potentially after 9 june 2020), but these vehicles have not been on the road long enough to confirm. See my post here:
Post in thread '2018 CX-9 Overheating'
https://mazdas247.com/forum/t/2018-cx-9-overheating.123877872/post-6761247

There was an oil consumption problems for a brief stint for 2021 vehicles i think, Mazda acknowledged it in a tsb and says they are working on a fix.
Check the vin and manufacture number here.
Post in thread '2021 CX-9 burning oil'
https://mazdas247.com/forum/t/2021-cx-9-burning-oil.123876289/post-6743653

Other than that it is a pretty solid vehicle, with not much issues reporting with the newer models. The AC is a bit weak if you live in very hot climate, try to do your test drive on a warm day if you can to see if it bothers you or not. I would go with a 2021 or 2022 built after these dates.

Last edited:
I am seriously considering a 2022 CX9 Signature (or maybe a GT since I don't think 2nd row captains chairs are very family friendly). Anyone here know of anything I should be concerned about? Not necessarily from 2022, maybe 2021 or even 2020?

Thank you in advance!

Edited with more clarity.
We have a 2020 Signature with the individual rear seats. Unless you have three kids or more, no reason not family friendly. In any event we've had no problems whatsoever with vehicle and highly recommend. Check the upgrades you get on the Signature before you go for the GT. Not sure of the changes made to 21 and 22 models but you can't go wrong with either. Good luck.

We have a 2020 Signature with the individual rear seats. Unless you have three kids or more, no reason not family friendly. In any event we've had no problems whatsoever with vehicle and highly recommend. Check the upgrades you get on the Signature before you go for the GT. Not sure of the changes made to 21 and 22 models but you can't go wrong with either. Good luck.

Up here in Canada, the only differences between 2022 GT and 2022 Signature is purely cosmetic (exterior and interior) as far as I can see. Exterior: titanium grill inserts, bigger exhaust tip, different color wheels, captain's chairs in the 2nd row with a console, napa leather, quilt/piping seats, some premium cross stitching on steering wheel, real rosewood trim, frame-less rear view mirror, and can't forget the Signature badging for that extra HP.

I think honestly the captain chair with the console would be the deal breaker for me for a 2022 signature. All the disadvantage of the captain chair (no middle seating, no full width flat surface when folding the seats to load stuff) without the advantage of being able to walk between them to go to the third row, i don’t really see the point over the bench seat. Especially since the bench seat has a fold down « center console » with cup holders and usb charging ports (at least on my 2018.)

I would chose a gt with the bench seat or with the captain chair without the center console instead, or a carbon edition maybe if they still sell those.

Last edited:
I think honestly the captain chair with the console would be the deal breaker for me for a 2022 signature. All the disadvantage of the captain chair (no middle seating, no full width flat surface when folding the seats to load stuff) without the advantage of being able to walk between them to go to the third row, i don’t really see the point over the bench seat. Especially since the bench seat has a fold down « center console » with cup holders and usb charging ports (at least on my 2018.)

I agree with @youri. The pass-through access is the chief benefit of having captain's chairs for me, even though I prefer a bench seat anyway. For that reason alone I'd go for a GT over a Signature, then a GT with bench over a GT with captain's chairs. If bench seats were available on the Signature, I'd get that no question. I love the interior and extra bits that came with my 2018 Signature.

Congrats....and enjoy your CX9.
I was one of the unlucky ones here in Toronto that had a cylinder head issue/oil leak on a 2018 CX5 (started just over the 32,000km mark) :( I was hoping to drive the CX5 to the ground (as that's how my family have always drove cars), but the oil leak issue was on the back of my mind. The dealer gave a pretty good trade-in so CX9 here we go. Hopefully no major headaches with this one (fingers crossed)!

Back