What's the tire consensus?

Op here. Went with Michelin CC2 and really like them. Much quieter and smoother than oem. Pleased w my choice.
Thanks for the report, @kone. I’m strongly leaning towards a set of CC2’s for my AWD Ioniq 5 when the OEM Michelin Primacy Tour A/S set wears out. Will see what TireRack scores are for less expensive alternatives are when the time comes.

I’ve got a set of Blizzak DMV2’s for my CX-5, so that’s the primary snow/ice car. I don’t want to hassle with another snow set changeover and the CC2’s should be sufficient for occasional snow duty when we need 2 cars.

if anyone wanna get UHP tires like Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4. check out my replies here at this post.

I used to get only Michelin’s too, no longer. My experience with Michelin tires is mixed. I had blow-out 3 times on my 1987 VW Vanagon GL Syncro while driving on the highway with new Michelin’s. The Michelin’s on my 2001.5 VW Passat GLX had developed dry-rot on the side wall after only 4 years of service. Since the Michelin usually is the most expensive tire available on the market, and tires are getting much more expensive, I’m now going to spend my money wisely on tires. Check the specs, read the reviews. And what I’ve found recently that with the tire technology keeps improving, most new tires offer at least 51 psi maximum inflation pressure but most Michelin tires still offer only 44 psi on maximum inflation pressure which I definitely won’t consider such tires nowadays.
I agree 100%. I did like the feel of the Michelins better, but its wasn't drastic enough to warrant their considerable additional cost. My experience was that they were good, but they never reached their purported mileage lifespan and I always had to replace them earlier than I should have. I had a 60k mile rated Michelin tire and they were done at maybe 48k. Tire rotations were kept up on, and everything.

These days, I am content to go with a well priced all-season that is rated well and spend my money on the snow tires. Though, admittedly last couple of winters were pretty mild here on the snowfall front.

... I had a 60k mile rated Michelin tire and they were done at maybe 48k....

That's the gimmick ... Tire is not really gonna make it to warranty miles so you come back and say I need some warranty replacements ... Bingo, they say yep, we will pro rate those for you right away sir and give you a 20% off "prorated" price off MSRP on the tires (that you could've gotten anyway on a sale). Just a gimmick to get you back buying another set.

That's the gimmick ... Tire is not really gonna make it to warranty miles so you come back and say I need some warranty replacements ... Bingo, they say yep, we will pro rate those for you right away sir and give you a 20% off "prorated" price off MSRP on the tires (that you could've gotten anyway on a sale). Just a gimmick to get you back buying another set.
I agree that many tires won’t get promised warranty miles but Michelin tires seem to be the worst based on many reviews I’ve seen and my personal experience. Once recommended by some here on Michelin Premier LTX® which has very bad reputation on tread life from many reviews with 60K-mile tread warranty is a perfect example. Many complained their Michelin LTX® wouldn’t last 40K miles and it got discontinued really fast by Michelin from the market.

On the other hand, I really don’t care too much on tire tread life not meeting the mileage warranty as my experience with the Discount Tire where I purchase tires from all the time handles the mileage warranty isn’t like you said. My DT will give me prorated credit based on my original purchasing price of my tires, then apply this credit to the best available market price of ANY new tires I prefer (don’t have to be the same brand and use the MSRP) with price matching policy. Even better, many times the DT sales encourage me to replace my old tires with mileage credit even though the tread depth is around 4/32”!

OK...first report on my new Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3's: They are quieter than the Toyo's but then the Toyo's were almost down to the wear bars. The biggest difference is that they are much more responsive to turning and more comfortable (less harshness). I take my first long trip in a couple of days so will report back after that. So far....I'm delighted with my choice. Of course the one-day 25% off deal I got at COSTCO on Pirelli's helped to seal the deal. My COSTCO tire guy couldn't believe that I hadn't chosen the Michelin CC2's but after I explained my rationale he said that these Pirelli's were actually a really good choice, based on my needs.

2nd update.....After my recent road trip I can now confidently say that these Pirelli's are performing magnificently!! In addition to what I had already experienced I am sure the rolling resistance is lower than the OEM Toyo's as my fuel economy has improved. So far, I can't think of a single downside to these tires.

I just check the website for my local Costco and it appears they don't sell the Pirrelli tire. How did you get lucky?

Just put Nokian WRG4/suv on my 21 signature. What an improvement!! Handling is fantastic, just waiting to see how it does in the snow.

Just put Nokian WRG4/suv on my 21 signature. What an improvement!! Handling is fantastic, just waiting to see how it does in the snow.
When I lived in a snowy state, the snow tires that I've used were Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2. I was flirting with Nokian but they weren't available so I opted for Blizzak. Moving to warmer latitudes with virtually no snow I kept the snow tires. One thing I've noticed, driving with snow tires through rain was fantastic, never had a problem, alt least with the ones that I had. Maybe you can test them on rain one day and share your experience.

When I lived in a snowy state, the snow tires that I've used were Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2. I was flirting with Nokian but they weren't available so I opted for Blizzak. Moving to warmer latitudes with virtually no snow I kept the snow tires. One thing I've noticed, driving with snow tires through rain was fantastic, never had a problem, alt least with the ones that I had. Maybe you can test them on rain one day and share your experience.
Pouring today, no problems. This is Nokian's new "all season".

Currently Walmart has some pretty good tires sales going $20 to $30 dollars a tire cheaper than the Tire Rack with some very good brands

Back