Thoughts on this wheel/tire combo for a 2022 CX-5 Turbo

After doing quite a bit of research, I'm just about to pull the trigger for one wheel/tire combo to test fit on the vehicle. The combo is as follows:

FlowOneRaceSpecF2DarkTint.png

That's a 20x8.5 with a +45 offset (same as stock).

The tire I've settled on (and this was hotly contested between it and the Goodyear Eagle Exhilarate) is the Continental Extreme Contact DSW06 in size 245/45R20

1658427834631.png

It's almost identical (2 revs per mile difference) to stock, just 10mm wider each way (.39") given the same offset.

This combination, assuming it all fits just fine, will net about 12lbs per corner improvement in unsprung weight.

Thoughts on the combination? I think I've seen other post that members have run this same size setup so I assume it will be OK, but still planning to get one an mount both front and rear to verify before getting the others in.

Attachments

• FlowOneRaceSpecF2DarkTint.png
    FlowOneRaceSpecF2DarkTint.png
    85.3 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
I love the tire choice as I run those on all three of my vehicles. My main concern is wet weather performance and the Contis are great.
The +45 offset is not going to be flush if that matters to you. I run 20x8.5 +40 (which is very common) and it still sits in just a bit. There are examples in the “show me your wheels” thread of +35 that look truly flush with the bodywork.

After doing quite a bit of research, I'm just about to pull the trigger for one wheel/tire combo to test fit on the vehicle. The combo is as follows:

View attachment 311774
That's a 20x8.5 with a +45 offset (same as stock).

The tire I've settled on (and this was hotly contested between it and the Goodyear Eagle Exhilarate) is the Continental Extreme Contact DSW06 in size 245/45R20

View attachment 311775

It's almost identical (2 revs per mile difference) to stock, just 10mm wider each way (.39") given the same offset.

This combination, assuming it all fits just fine, will net about 12lbs per axle improvement in unsprung weight.

Thoughts on the combination? I think I've seen other post that members have run this same size setup so I assume it will be OK, but still planning to get one an mount both front and rear to verify before getting the others in.
Is this for a CX5 or CX9???

While the 245 tire size should be ok(you are only increasing the tire width 10 mm closer inwards to suspension components/frame at the outer tire diameter)

the rim size at that offset may be a concern. There is really limited tight area under the wheel well. A 8.5 inch wheel @ stock ET45 is increasing rim width by 40 mm which will be pushing the rim inwards by 20 mm closer to suspension components. Unlike a rubber tire which will rub and cause problems and is also a safety concern, a metal alloy rim could cause immediate damage and danger.

If you are going with an 8.5 inch rims, you may want a lower offset like 38 mm, 40 mm. Or maybe buy one rim, jack up the car to see how it fits before you mount a tire or buy a whole set. * Make sure you turn the steering wheel full lock both ways and check to ensure no obstructions.

Maybe look on the forum and see if others have that rim width at the stock ET 45 offset. If others are running 8.5 at ET45 then maybe no worries.

Also, even with low profile tires, you should be able to mount a 245 mm tire on a 8 inch rim width. You shouldn't need an 8.5 inch rim for a 245 tire.

An 8 inch rim @ lower offset will be lighter and move the tire closer to the fender for a better look.

f.i.
My winters are on 17x 7.5 @ ET42.

Stock was 19x7 @ ET45

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies for my 2022 Turbo CX-5. I like the Conti DSW06s for their wet and snow performance. The snow rating folks give them is far better than the Goodyear Exhilarate I was considering. I kind of like the look of the tread pattern better too!

I checked TireRack and they suggest the 20x8.5 in either +45, +40, or +38 offset. I think moving up to the 20 helps a bit with clearance on the suspension side which helps compensate for the 8.5 width, although as mentioned, an 8" wheel would work fine for a 245 tire.

I figure I'd go with the +45 and if they are wrong, a small 5mm spacer could be added to push things out away from the suspension.

I plan to just get one, verify fitment, then get the others.

Ordering the one today!

BTW, I do plan to lower things 1.5". I don't see that causing any problems though.

UPDATE: Ordered in one and will test it out well then get the others assuming it fits. TireRack's salesman was pretty adamant that it will fit so I think all will be fine.

Last edited:
Just an fyi you can run a 20"x9.5" et40 with 275 tires and not rub anything at all. So an 8.5 et45 is no concern.

As soon as I wash the SUV I'll take some photos, but two things stand out so far...

1) It looks better in person than it did in the TireRack mock-up.
2) It sure "feels" like it accelerates better (shaving 11lbs per wheel/tire and another 20 total given the lighter suspension I guess it should)

I do notice a bit more road noise...those sidewalls on the 245/45 Continentals are stiffer so....

I was looking at the OZ wheels as well because they look good but I wanted an offset to get the tires more flush. Do the Enkei Gtco2 19x9 et40 will get me pretty much there and like the OZ save a ton of weight. That should help a hair with acceleration and braking due to less rotational mass. It should also definitely help the suspension perform better due to less unsprung weight. It's a win win all the way around. Looking forward to seeing your pics!!

Lookin' good there dps03. They really don't appear to be any bigger than the silver OEM 19s on my '22 Signature, a function of the lighter color's higher reflectivity and greater surface area.

IMG_1735.jpg

Lookin' good there dps03. They really don't appear to be any bigger than the silver OEM 19s on my '22 Signature, a function of the lighter color's higher reflectivity and greater surface area.View attachment 312059
I agree. Just 1/2" in each direction is hardly perceptible and the total height isn't any taller as the aspect ratio went from the stock 55 to the new 45. Revs per mile are only like 2 different from stock.

Nice combo.
Really looks sharp, especially since you lowered.
I need my ground clearance or else I'd lower mine.

I would love to get this thing on a skid pad. Stock, our SUVs only pull like a .78. With that mod and these tires, I feel certain that it is solidly in the .8s now and certainly transfers side to side much better than before. I do hear more road noise on crappy pavement, but it's nothing excessive. The ride quality itself with the shocks adjusted where I have them is no worse that I can tell.

So I reviewed some tests to get an idea for how much a skid pad result (and I know that's far from everything WRT handling) would be improved going from a touring 225 to a UHP All Season 245. I noticed that TireRack used the same car (2020 BMW F36 430i) to test both the UHP All Season tires AND the Max Performance Summer tires. There are some results that were, interesting, to me, and further assured me that the tire choice in going with the Continental DSW06+ UHP All Season was a very good choice.

In short, the DSW06+ pulled a .94 in the dry on the skip pad. The Max Performance Summer tires ranged from .93 to .98. So, long story short, for that one test the UHP All Season DSW06+ tire would be competitive.

Even more interestingly was the dry lap times. The DWS06+ did it in 30.44 seconds. The Max Performance Summer tires ranged from 30.08 to 30.50. Again, although in the upper range, the All Season DSW06+ would be competitive.

Most interestingly of all though was that neither the DSW06+ nor any of the UHP All Season tires would be competitive in the wet! That's where I expected them to shine. There, the DSW06+ (and all of the other UHP All Season tires) were about 1.5-2 seconds off of the pace. Not horrible, but certainly not competitive. The DSW06+ was the best of the UHP All Season group by over half of a second however.

Too bad there wasn't a snow test pitting the UHP All Seasons against the Max Performance Summer tires. 😅😂🤣

Long story short, if this tire is available in your size, and you need an All Season tire, The newish Continental DSW06+ simply gets the job done. Oh, and it has a 50K mile wear warranty, and isn't too pricey compared to the Michelin for example.

Last edited:
You won't have snow test because the Max Performance tires are not designed to really handle any snow at all. Many of them even tell you not to drive in freeze temps or below because the tires can crack.

The OZ wheel was just the one on for the tire photo. The wheels I got are Flow One (flow forged wheel...why they are so lite weight).

Here is a photo of the wheel and of my 2022 Turbo with them on.View attachment 312048View attachment 312049
Looks good for sure. Would like to hear your feedback in a couple weeks to see how the wheels are holding up especially if they see any kind of rough roads, railroad track ruts etc. You have me strongly looking at the Flow One wheels due to their light weight and lower price point when compared to Enkei and other well known name brands.

Looks good for sure. Would like to hear your feedback in a couple weeks to see how the wheels are holding up especially if they see any kind of rough roads, railroad track ruts etc. You have me strongly looking at the Flow One wheels due to their light weight and lower price point when compared to Enkei and other well known name brands.
I'll be sure to give feedback. Some potholes here, but not too much in the way of "bad" roads.

Excellent choice of tires. I have the same tires in 245/55-18 on OEM Mazda M012 18x8.0 ET45 rims and they are phenomenal in dry and wet conditions.

IMG_3638.JPG

Back