Thoughts on this wheel/tire combo for a 2022 CX-5 Turbo

After doing quite a bit of research, I'm just about to pull the trigger for one wheel/tire combo to test fit on the vehicle. The combo is as follows:

View attachment 311774
That's a 20x8.5 with a +45 offset (same as stock).

The tire I've settled on (and this was hotly contested between it and the Goodyear Eagle Exhilarate) is the Continental Extreme Contact DSW06 in size 245/45R20

View attachment 311775

It's almost identical (2 revs per mile difference) to stock, just 10mm wider each way (.39") given the same offset.

This combination, assuming it all fits just fine, will net about 12lbs per corner improvement in unsprung weight.

Thoughts on the combination? I think I've seen other post that members have run this same size setup so I assume it will be OK, but still planning to get one an mount both front and rear to verify before getting the others in.
I’m rolling with CX-9 20”x8.5” rims on my 21 Akera with 255/45/20 tyres I think the offset is 45 and have no issues whatsoever.

Attachments

• 9B08AE2C-2B20-46A6-98D7-BB359E3C872C.jpeg
    9B08AE2C-2B20-46A6-98D7-BB359E3C872C.jpeg
    198.2 KB · Views: 119
  • AE13D785-71F1-419E-A009-73065020AA75.jpeg
    AE13D785-71F1-419E-A009-73065020AA75.jpeg
    72.9 KB · Views: 123
  • C58F909C-DEC8-48D1-BC4F-E5FDE0173F1F.jpeg
    C58F909C-DEC8-48D1-BC4F-E5FDE0173F1F.jpeg
    134.2 KB · Views: 110
  • 518E1E46-8BC4-4B81-9918-E72A1B4AA5EB.jpeg
    518E1E46-8BC4-4B81-9918-E72A1B4AA5EB.jpeg
    109.8 KB · Views: 121
I would love to get this thing on a skid pad. Stock, our SUVs only pull like a .78. With that mod and these tires, I feel certain that it is solidly in the .8s now and certainly transfers side to side much better than before. I do hear more road noise on crappy pavement, but it's nothing excessive. The ride quality itself with the shocks adjusted where I have them is no worse that I can tell.
I was gonna get the Conti Extreme Contact summer tires as i had on my last car but not compatible w stock 19in rims (2022 premium plus) . DSW06 was the only good alternative t but they only come in 245/50 (4that size) which is too bulging.
Now,.I'm debating between 19 and 20in 8-8.5 lighter wheels.Would stick with 19s and go w 8j but selection is limited. Super limited tire options on 19s as well, because I wanna stick w Mazda's height recommendation. So , either 245/45/20 or 245/50/19

Do you think the ride would have suffered more if you didn't adjust the shocks and lowered it? I'm not intending to do either.

Also, did you just simply replace the wheels or you had to use spacers or something? I'm about to get the same as yours also from tire rack. Been loyal customer for 4 years now. Best place for tires.

The color on the car looks gloss black, but the wheels photo you shared is machined. Can't tell for sure which ones are on it. Gloss black looks better on white than machined , but only comes in 18 and 20in

I was gonna get the Conti Extreme Contact summer tires as i had on my last car but not compatible w stock 19in rims (2022 premium plus) . DSW06 was the only good alternative t but they only come in 245/50 (4that size) which is too bulging.
Now,.I'm debating between 19 and 20in 8-8.5 lighter wheels.Would stick with 19s and go w 8j but selection is limited. Super limited tire options on 19s as well, because I wanna stick w Mazda's height recommendation. So , either 245/45/20 or 245/50/19

Do you think the ride would have suffered more if you didn't adjust the shocks and lowered it? I'm not intending to do either.

Also, did you just simply replace the wheels or you had to use spacers or something? I'm about to get the same as yours also from tire rack. Been loyal customer for 4 years now. Best place for tires.

The color on the car looks gloss black, but the wheels photo you shared is machined. Can't tell for sure which ones are on it. Gloss black looks better on white than machined , but only comes in 18 and 20in

Without changing the spring rate/lowering, and keeping the air pressure right, I think the ride on the 245/45/20 Conti would be fine and better than it is for me...and it isn't bad now at all. Stiff, but not horrible at all.

Without changing the spring rate/lowering, and keeping the air pressure right, I think the ride on the 245/45/20 Conti would be fine and better than it is for me...and it isn't bad now at all. Stiff, but not horrible at all.
How you all drive on those skinny uncomfortable treads, ill never know.

Ya all gotta be in your 20's.

Just wait another 10 or 20 years and youll be switching to 17 inchers.

How you all drive on those skinny uncomfortable treads, ill never know.

Ya all gotta be in your 20's.

Just wait another 10 or 20 years and youll be switching to 17 inchers.
I'm 40. Couldn't care less about the wheel size, but I'm all about safety - breaking and emergency handling, so I'm always going for the most grip on the road , while sticking with manufacturer's recommended diameters. In this case, Mazda made it impossible to upgrade just the tires, because it has skinniest rims for which UHP All seasons / summer are not available without significant altering of the height and or bulging side walls.
Car makers love to save money where they can and these days try to show 1-2 mpg more for window stickers. Seems like Mazda went all in :)
Their whole branding is about sporty ride, driver engagement and so on. Then, give your customers skinny low resistance tires. Give them at least an option.
At least they did that on CX-50 Turbo. That one comes with stock 245/45/20

I can't tell in the picture of your car whether it's Machined Black or Painted Black. 19s come only in machined , so i don't know how it would look in person
So, which ones you have?

I'm 40. Couldn't care less about the wheel size, but I'm all about safety - breaking and emergency handling, so I'm always going for the most grip on the road , while sticking with manufacturer's recommended diameters. In this case, Mazda made it impossible to upgrade just the tires, because it has skinniest rims for which UHP All seasons / summer are not available without significant altering of the height and or bulging side walls.
Car makers love to save money where they can and these days try to show 1-2 mpg more for window stickers. Seems like Mazda went all in :)
Their whole branding is about sporty ride, driver engagement and so on. Then, give your customers skinny low resistance tires. Give them at least an option.
At least they did that on CX-50 Turbo. That one comes with stock 245/45/20
+1!! Mazda clearly chose to hold price points down (along with getting a bit better mileage) with the wheel/tire setup. It’s the skinniest in the segment and brings down a beautifully designed package. It’s smart though. The better quality interior was a huge selling point for me and I assume a lot of others. The money spent on that had to come from somewhere. For those of us who care that much about the aesthetics, wheels are fairly easy to upgrade. Although I do feel like I spent a good deal extra to get my cx5 to look the way the designers meant. Also on the plus side, my larger wheels and wider tires weigh less than the oem set.

Back