Mazda Smart Fob Emergency Key Check (CX-50)

:
USA
:
2023 CX-50 PPT
Probably a good idea to verify before you might actually need to use them that the emergency keys inside of both CX-50 key fobs are able to open your driver's side door. If your fob battery is dead, the key is used for manual access to your locked vehicle and you can then start the car by using the "dead" fob and the special process outlined in the manual. There is a single small lock cylinder hidden behind the driver's door handle.

I had seen owners of other newer Mazda vehicles with this same fob complain online about being unable to turn the key or not even being able to insert it at all.

I was able to insert the first key after a bit of fumbling (it requires an odd angle and there's not a lot of space even with the door handle pulled out), but I was unable to turn it in the cylinder. I then carefully used a pair of pliers, and was able to unlock/relock the door manually. I did that a number of times to try to make things work more smoothly, and it did seem to get a bit easier afterwards and I was able to do it just using my hand with some effort. The second key also worked and I could turn it by hand with that same bit of effort.

The lack of a traditional key head makes a good grip challenging no matter what so I'm sure that contributes to the general turning difficulty. On the other hand, I disliked my CX-5 fob keys with that offset large plastic & metal head which made it annoying to carry in a pocket. The current emergency key is much better in that regard for when I want to carry just it and not the entire fob with me (hiking, etc).

I also purchased a set of blanks online at a very reasonable price (5 blanks for under US$20) and will have two of those cut once I find a locksmith able to do so. Since these are not chipped keys but just plain old "dumb" keys, I'm hoping a standard locksmith can cut the copies. Just not sure if the non-traditional head design will complicate things. I want extra copies around in case I need them or lose one of the originals. If you want to do the same, be sure to select key blanks that are slotted on the same side as your keys. Mine at least are left grooved.

I also purchased a set of blanks online at a very reasonable price (5 blanks for under US$20) and will have two of those cut once I find a locksmith able to do so. Since these are not chipped keys but just plain old "dumb" keys, I'm hoping a standard locksmith can cut the copies.
FYI - For both our CX-5's ('14 & '19) I've gone to our local Ace Hardware store and found a matching key blank from their rotating key carousel/display. They cut it to match the original, no problem. Cost <$3 per key.

FYI - For both our CX-5's ('14 & '19) I've gone to our local Ace Hardware store and found a matching key blank from their rotating key carousel/display. They cut it to match the original, no problem. Cost <$3 per key.
Excellent to know--thank you! Hopefully they can cut the new version as well.
mazda smart-keyless-entry-remote-27.jpeg

Back