Oil overfill during service

Bingo! Turn the engine off, set your timers for five minutes and voila! Easy-Peasy...
Yeah, that works. And would be the thing to do for everyone if it said "wait 5 minutes". For wait "at least 5 minutes", you can go have lunch, or go to bed, then come back too.

Yes, it does reference oil temperature, and I wouldn't go too high on that oil level. If it hits the crank it may foam up.
Yes manual says warm up the engine, then the next step is to wait AT LEAST 5 minutes for the oil to return to the oil pan. To me letting the oil return to the pan is the key for oil level. And nothing been said you need to check the oil when the oil is still warm.

As I’ve said many times, you can check oil level warm (wait for at least 5 minutes) or cold, the difference is minimum. But checking oil cold is a lot easier (easy to see and no wipe), why check it warm?

Interesting. I keep getting surprised at some people's notions of logic. After reading these forums, I wouldn't want to be responsible for writing the instructions in the Owner's Manual.
Yes.

"Wait at least 5 minutes" doesn't seem vague to me at all - it's quite clear, and comes after the stage that mentions warming. 4 minutes doesn't meet that criterion. 6 minutes does, as does 1000 minutes.
Exactly. After the engine warm up, wait at least 5 minutes for the oil to return to the oil pan, and check the oil level whenever you prefer. And the result will be almost the same.

Hopefully this isn't perceived as bullying, I got my first post in any forum removed from here this week.
Really? I must missed something here?

I checked it again first thing this morning and it is showing the same reading as image #2. Nothing much more I can do now other than ensuring it is all on record with Mazda.
Thanks for reporting us back: Unfortunately your observation proves only the oil level looks the same when you wait 5 hours (picture #2) and wait overnight. Please check the oil level again 5 minutes after the engine shutting down and let us know, if I don’t ask you too much.

You can suck some oil out with a simple tool via dipstick tube if the current oil level really concerns you. But really, no worries for such minor overfill condition.

You can suck some oil out with a simple tool via dipstick tube if the current oil level really concerns you.
I have used this cheap mini pump before to suck some overfilled oil out from dipstick tube.

D8BEC951-D36A-4FD1-8C00-94443AE75C11.jpeg

The second reading was taken by OP when cold, more than 5 hours after the engine off.
r
And I don’t believe the difference will be that much, ¼ quart, between hot and cold (see comparison pictures of mine from the link in post #6 above).
I was going off the OP where the second reading was checked with the vehicle warm. Didn't read through to the the post where he checked after 5 hours. So, yes, 5 hours or overnight should make no difference.

As for post #6, we've had this discussion before and my experience is different. I got a noticeably higher reading after 5 minutes, maybe as high as a 1/4 quart, compared to overnight. I would consider the cold reading to be the baseline.

I agree that getting a clean reading checking after 5 minutes is not so simple. It takes a few dips and wipes, making sure the slight curve in the stick is aligned to the curve in the tube to get it in and out as smoothly as possible.

As for the manual's instructions, 5 minutes or longer which could be overnight might have the following logic to it. It might take 5 minutes to have a chance at a clean reading without dipping and wiping repeatedly until 5 minutes is up. Then, if there's a 1/4 quart difference between 5 mins. and 12 hours, that's within acceptable tolerance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you tried it yourself?
I tried with my MityVac 7201, but can't get to oil sump. Tried with smaller tube a 1/4" OD, still too thick.
Yes I did, but on my previous VW Passat 2.8L V6. The diameter of the dipstick tube is the same as the 2.5L on my CX-5. And the included 1/4" OD tubing seems to be designed just for the dipstick tube. And I’ve seen some here had said they use similar hand pump to suck the entire used oil out for oil change, so that they don’t have to deal with going underneath the CX-5. It seems they had no issues to mark the 1/4" OD tubing going down to the oil pan via dipstick tube.

Yes.

Exactly. After the engine warm up, wait at least 5 minutes for the oil to return to the oil pan, and check the oil level whenever you prefer. And the result will be almost the same.

Really? I must missed something here?
Apparently unsolicited grammar corrections are considered confrontational or unfriendly or something :)

Interesting. I keep getting surprised at some people's notions of logic. After reading these forums, I wouldn't want to be responsible for writing the instructions in the Owner's Manual.

Moderating an online forum seems to be just as challenging. Lucky me, I get to do both :)

Apparently unsolicited grammar corrections are considered confrontational or unfriendly or something :)

Context is important. I was able to see the deleted posts and it makes sense to me. You can PM me if you'd like my insight on the situation, but to keep it short - whether your intentions were good or not, your comment sparked a confrontation. As a result, both you and the other member's posts were deleted.

I have successfully used this OEMTool fluid extractor Amazon.ca using the dip stick tube to remove oil from my CX5 and MX5.
Thanks for the report although I personally don’t like this method for oil change as the suction tube may not be able to reach the lowest point of the oil pan (can’t get all oil out), and some debris in oil if any can’t be extracted out easily like using drain hole (located at the lowest point of the oil pan) draining the oil which is fast and complete.

^^^ I agree, I don’t use it to do an oil change however, I have used it successfully to remove a small amount due to an over fill on a car and for oil change on riding lawnmower. For a car oil change the traditional method as you note is best IMO.

Last edited:
^^^ I agree, I don’t use it to do an oil change the however, I have used it successfully to remove a small amount due to an over fill on a car and for oil change on riding lawnmower. For a car oil change the traditional method as you note is best IMO.
Most car owners even the DIYers won’t care too much on oil overfill. You and I are minorities who really wanted to get rid of some oil which was higher than the Full mark on the dipstick (and used the same method ⋯ ;)).

I've pulled the drain plug out temporarily a time or two to remove some oil. Can be a little messy, of course, but if you do it with a cold engine it's not too bad.

I like the hex key drain plug because it kind of sticks on the wrench and that helps.

I've pulled the drain plug out temporarily a time or two to remove some oil. Can be a little messy, of course, but if you do it with a cold engine it's not too bad.

I like the hex key drain plug because it kind of sticks on the wrench and that helps.

If I was to drain a little oil I would loosen the drain plug too, instead of using the tube/suction method. I feel like it is too easy to get dirt in or on the tube and it would end up in the oil.

No big deal. Back in the day one of my posts was deleted because it offended someone. Don't let it bother you. Grammar corrections can be irritating though :)

Or they just lead to back and forths mucking up threads. Kinda like this post. Every moderated forum I've been on has such a rule. I can't speak to Reddit rules. :LOL:

If I was to drain a little oil I would loosen the drain plug too, instead of using the tube/suction method. I feel like it is too easy to get dirt in or on the tube and it would end up in the oil.
It’s a little difficult to control how much oil you want to drain by loosen drain plug. And I don’t like the idea of “reuse” the drain plug washer too.

How is it possible to get dirt into the oil when I insert the “clean” ¼” tubing into the dipstick tube?

I do this. Just crack the plug loose, unscrew it until you see some flow, make it finger tight, check your level, repeat until you get your desired level, then torque it up again. If you didn't overtighten the plug to begin with to ruin the gasket with you should be golden. No big deal. Just don't do it with hot engine oil.

Back