Oil overfill during service

My CX-5 has recently had its first oil change from new as part of the annual Mazda service. I check my oil levels monthly and from factory it had always been at the max mark - historically I have always checked it cold in the garage and only recently learned that the manual recommends warming the engine first (not sure how much of difference this will make on the dipstick).

Anyway, after the service the next month I checked the dipstick to find out that it was quite overfilled - see image below.
IMG_E6894.JPG

Unfortunately I had driven around 1000 kms by this point and I'm worried about any long lasting damage that may have been caused. I took the car back to the Mazda garage and explained the situation and they drained the oil and refilled it. After I got home I have rechecked it and to my amazement it is still over the max mark as below.
IMG_6897.JPG

Took it straight back to the garage and the head mechanic took a reading (engine wasn't cold this time as with the previous readings since I had driven to the garage) and although it was over the mark said that the reading was fine.

At this point I honestly don't know what to believe and am looking for a second opinion. Do I need to go back again and have some more oil drained?

I think it is fine. The issue with having too much oil is that it gets air bubbles churned into it and then the flow from the oil pump isn't good. Even from the first overfill no damage was done. I wonder why they over fill your car. They do hundreds of oil changes a month, they should be experts.

My CX-5 has recently had its first oil change from new as part of the annual Mazda service. I check my oil levels monthly and from factory it had always been at the max mark - historically I have always checked it cold in the garage and only recently learned that the manual recommends warming the engine first (not sure how much of difference this will make on the dipstick).

Anyway, after the service the next month I checked the dipstick to find out that it was quite overfilled - see image below.
View attachment 305299
Unfortunately I had driven around 1000 kms by this point and I'm worried about any long lasting damage that may have been caused. I took the car back to the Mazda garage and explained the situation and they drained the oil and refilled it. After I got home I have rechecked it and to my amazement it is still over the max mark as below.
View attachment 305300

Took it straight back to the garage and the head mechanic took a reading (engine wasn't cold this time as with the previous readings since I had driven to the garage) and although it was over the mark said that the reading was fine.

At this point I honestly don't know what to believe and am looking for a second opinion. Do I need to go back again and have some more oil drained?
Sounds like they aren't draining it completely then just refilling with 4.8 quarts or 5 quarts.
Probably a quick drain, plug & fill without checking dip.

The manual states 4.8 quarts (at least for my 2018) but takes 5.2 quarts. Even if they were lazy and added 5 quarts, it still shouldn't be over unless they didn't drain everything.

Do you know if they used actual bottled quarts or was it barrel oil?

You should get in habit of changing it yourself or find a good local mechanic.

After a Toyota dealership messed up a simple inner cv joint replacement and my transmission ran out of fluid(lost alot of fluid) on the way home due to a leaking gasket (bent during install), no dealer sees my car for anything other than warranty work.

I had done the same cv joint replacement on the other side and used a large socket to hammer the gasket in evenly. They had bent it and you could see the hole punch marks on the gasket from them trying to hole punching it in. * The gaskets back then were made from metal encased in rubber. They denied they did anything wrong and Toyota corporate wouldn't extend the warranty on the transmission. Hence why I wont buy another Toyota. Ford built a quality product and stuck by it. Luckily the Toyota transmission lasted up to/over 200K without issue.

Dealerships don't care about your car. They can keep the free oil changes and their free car washes, etc.

Find a good local mechanic to treat your cx5 like family.

Also the 2nd overfill is nothing to worry about.
Try to keep it between the holes.

Now the first overfill...

Depends...more than likely no damage was done but you never know....their could be.

Again find a mechanic that cares about doing the job right or DIY it yourself.

Corporate will never fix something an individual franchise dealership did wrong. And the dealerships don't care about the BBB complaints nor lawsuits. So you're on your own.

Now most of the time your local mechanic likes working on cars, cares about his job, and is worried about lawsuits. That's the difference.

Last edited:
My CX-5 has recently had its first oil change from new as part of the annual Mazda service.
What year and which trim level? (2.0L/2.5L NA or 2.5T?)

I check my oil levels monthly and from factory it had always been at the max mark - historically I have always checked it cold in the garage and only recently learned that the manual recommends warming the engine first (not sure how much of difference this will make on the dipstick).
The owner’s manual doesn’t say you have to check the oil level when engine is warm, it only says you want to wait AT LEAST 5 minutes so that the oil can drain back to the oil pan. You can check the oil level hot or cold, the difference on result is very minimum. But I prefer checking it the first thing in the morning before the engine start. Just one pull and the oil level is right there, much easier to read on the dipstick.

2021 CX-9 burning oil

View attachment 305299
Honestly most car dealers will overfill the oil change for some reason. I personally have had a couple of overfill incidences in recent years on my 2018 Toyota Yaris iA (Mazda2 in disguise) which comes with free 2-year factory maintenance even though i specifically told the service advisor be aware. I discussed with the tech who did the oil change, he said the Toyota service document has listed 4.6 quarts oil change quantity (owner’s manual has 4.4 quarts), and he just followed the instruction. When I did the oil change by myself on Yaris iA a couple of days ago and found 4.6 quarts is a legit quantity, and Mazda’s specs on oil change quantity is unstated as usual. Then the reason why dealers seem to overfill during the oil change? IMO it’s the tech doesn’t give ienough time to drain the old oil.

In your case the first oil chang (the 1st picture) was a quart overfilled which was a mistake by the tech.

Unfortunately I had driven around 1000 kms by this point and I'm worried about any long lasting damage that may have been caused.
A quart overfilled may cause some damage due to the reason MyFirstMazda mentioned above. But you can’t prove anything at this point.

I took the car back to the Mazda garage and explained the situation and they drained the oil and refilled it. After I got home I have rechecked it and to my amazement it is still over the max mark as below.

View attachment 305300

You did the right thing when the engine was a quart overfilled. The second oil change is still overfilled a bit, but this’s very common like my Yaris experience. This amount of overfill IMO is due to the drain time is not long enough, and Mazda may give the dealer an instruction with different oil change quantity (like the Toyota dealer) and resulted ¼ quart overfill.

You can check the oil level when cold, and see if there’s any difference.

As some have said, you don’t have to do anything with your current oil level which is about ¼ quart overfilled.

Everything is on record with you having gone back to the dealer. Like others have said, unlikely any damage to the motor, but should a problem arise, you have the documentation showing your concern and the dealer having done the oil change....

And as Jack Rabbit pointed out, I'd do my own oil changes from now on. It's an easy job and you'll have peace of mind afterward knowing you filled the oil properly.

Thanks for all the replies :)

Do you know if they used actual bottled quarts or was it barrel oil?

You should get in habit of changing it yourself or find a good local mechanic.
I'm not sure what oil is used however this is an approved Mazda service center. I understand using a local mechanic however the car comes with free 5 year servicing which is why I took it to Mazda - I have to say that I haven't had a great experience with them so far.
2020 2.5L AWD
In your case the first oil chang (the 1st picture) was a quart overfilled which was a mistake by the tech.

A quart overfilled may cause some damage due to the reason MyFirstMazda mentioned above. But you can’t prove anything at this point.
I'm hoping that no damage was done either - the car had been driving fine for that time but you never know. I don't believe anything went on record when I took it in but my plan anyway is to contact Mazda HO to have this put on record as I think they should be liable for any issues that may arise in the future.

As some have said, you don’t have to do anything with your current oil level which is about ¼ quart overfilled.
The second reading is when the engine has cooled completely (about 5 hours after use) - I could leave it overnight and recheck if that would make much of a difference.

It's a bit more reassuring that the consensus seems to be that the current level although a little over the max isn't going to cause any issues until the next change.

Call me paranoid, but here is one more theory.

At 5k miles, my dealership changed my oil. Filled it to precisely the 'full' point on the dipstick. At 8k+ miles, I was a half quart low and the 'Low Oil Level' warning light came on. I added a half quart, and told the dealership (to be on record) about it when I brought the car in for its 10k miles oil change. This time, they over-filled the oil, to a similar level as shown in your photos.

Could it be that an excessive oil consumption condition exists and is recognized, and my dealership simply wants to make sure that I do not run low on oil again before my 15k oil change? Is that why Benny 85 was over-filled?

Frank

Second picture is fine. 1/4 quart over isn't going to hurt anything. It wouldn't surprise me if it was at the full mark if you checked it cold after sitting overnight.

The only thing that I've noticed makes a difference for the oil level reading on the dipstick is the angle of the car... i.e. my driveway has a slight incline. Not much at all. The dipstick shows 1/2 qt lower on my driveway (car's nose slightly inclined) than when level in the garage. Conversely, if I check the oil where I park at work (slightly declined) dipstick shows a little higher on the dipstick.

@Benny85 does that apply to your situation? How level is the spot where you are checking dipstick?

A little short or more isn't of any concern. Most driveways are sloped for better drainage. And building code dictates all garages have some degree of drainage, it's very hard to find perfectly level place so you can check the accurate oil level. Also, if your oil level is right in the middle between H and L is good enough.

IMO, it's better to check oil level at the same place and time, either first thing in the morning or 5 minutes after shutting off the engine. In my driveway and garage (I'm at the end of cul-de-sac), both are steep (heavy rain in PNW). I park at the end of driveway at the same place and check the oil level five minutes later, then move it on the driveway. That way I remove one very important aspect of equation.

Could it be that an excessive oil consumption condition exists and is recognized, and my dealership simply wants to make sure that I do not run low on oil again before my 15k oil change? Is that why Benny 85 was over-filled?
This wasn't the case for me - the oil level never changed from the max line in the first year of ownership.
Second picture is fine. 1/4 quart over isn't going to hurt anything. It wouldn't surprise me if it was at the full mark if you checked it cold after sitting overnight.
Since I haven't taken a reading after revisiting the garage I will take it after sitting overnight and see if any difference.
@Benny85 does that apply to your situation? How level is the spot where you are checking dipstick?
I have always taken the reading in the garage which I would say is pretty level.

The second reading was taken by OP when cold, more than 5 hours after the engine off.

And I don’t believe the difference will be that much, ¼ quart, between hot and cold (see comparison pictures of mine from the link in post #6 above).

The owner’s manual doesn’t say you have to check the oil level when engine is warm, it only says you want to wait AT LEAST 5 minutes so that the oil can drain back to the oil pan. You can check the oil level hot or cold, the difference on result is very minimum. But I prefer checking it the first thing in the morning before the engine start. Just one pull and the oil level is right there, much easier to read on the dipstick.

2021 CX-9 burning oil

Honestly most car dealers will overfill the oil change for some reason. I personally have had a couple of overfill incidences in recent years on my 2018 Toyota Yaris iA (Mazda2 in disguise) which comes with free 2-year factory maintenance even though i specifically told the service advisor be aware. I discussed with the tech who did the oil change, he said the Toyota service document has listed 4.6 quarts oil change quantity (owner’s manual has 4.4 quarts), and he just followed the instruction. When I did the oil change by myself on Yaris iA a couple of days ago and found 4.6 quarts is a legit quantity, and Mazda’s specs on oil change quantity is unstated as usual. Then the reason why dealers seem to overfill during the oil change? IMO it’s the tech doesn’t give ienough time to drain the old oil.

You did the right thing when the engine was a quart overfilled. The second oil change is still overfilled a bit, but this’s very common like my Yaris experience. This amount of overfill IMO is due to the drain time is not long enough, and Mazda may give the dealer an instruction with different oil change quantity (like the Toyota dealer) and resulted ¼ quart overfill.

Yes, it does reference oil temperature, and I wouldn't go too high on that oil level. If it hits the crank it may foam up.

Attachments

• oil.jpg
    oil.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 264
Yes, it does reference oil temperature, and I wouldn't go too high on that oil level. If it hits the crank it may foam up.

As it turns out, this isn't specific enough for some owners, because the following instruction to "wait at least 5 minutes" is too vague and can be open to interpretation, i.e. 5 hours satisfies the "at least 5 min" condition.

At the end of the day, I think the most important thing is to be consistent with the process you decide on when doing your oil changes and checking the oil level. If you're consistent with your process, it can eliminate the process as a variable if an issue arises.

As it turns out, this isn't specific enough for some owners, because the following instruction to "wait at least 5 minutes" is too vague and can be open to interpretation, i.e. 5 hours satisfies the "at least 5 min" condition.

At the end of the day, I think the most important thing is to be consistent with the process you decide on when doing your oil changes and checking the oil level. If you're consistent with your process, it can eliminate the process as a variable if an issue arises.
Interesting. I keep getting surprised at some people's notions of logic. After reading these forums, I wouldn't want to be responsible for writing the instructions in the Owner's Manual.

"Wait at least 5 minutes" doesn't seem vague to me at all - it's quite clear, and comes after the stage that mentions warming. 4 minutes doesn't meet that criterion. 6 minutes does, as does 1000 minutes.

Hopefully this isn't perceived as bullying, I got my first post in any forum removed from here this week.

Interesting. I keep getting surprised at some people's notions of logic. After reading these forums, I wouldn't want to be responsible for writing the instructions in the Owner's Manual.

"Wait at least 5 minutes" doesn't seem vague to me at all - it's quite clear, and comes after the stage that mentions warming. 4 minutes doesn't meet that criterion. 6 minutes does, as does 1000 minutes.

Hopefully this isn't perceived as bullying, I got my first post in any forum removed from here this week.
Bingo! Turn the engine off, set your timers for five minutes and voila! Easy-Peasy...

My other car's (2015 MDX) OM says, wait 3 minutes before checking engine oil level.
After shutting off your engine, either wait 3 min or 5 min isn't going to make any significant difference, but just don't check it right after shutting engine off.

As Hal 2 said, being consistent is the key here.

I checked it again first thing this morning and it is showing the same reading as image #2. Nothing much more I can do now other than ensuring it is all on record with Mazda.

Latest posts

Back