Winter is here and my CX-5 turbo is now a 2.0L!

Single digit temps here now, but definitely started noticing the restriction at around 28°F... car warmed up for around 45 min, WOT 1st, 2nd, 3rd (until 4250 rpm) low power. But once 4250 rpm in 3rd gear hits, the CS intake makes a brief 'sneeze' and it's off to the races. Tried 'bogging' a bit in 4th gear, and it's all good regardless of RPM.

So the limitation isn't speed related, it seems to be a gear and RPM limitation.

My guess is that it's a cold weather (assumed icy condition) safety thing, that's most likely controlled by either the waste gate or maybe the variable vain in the exhaust manifold. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd are still getting boost, as I can hear the air through the intake and diverter valve when I let off. But it could be boosting to 0 psi (which is still boost, not vacuum).

I can test again with my OBD2 reader/torque app to see whats actually going on.

edit: it seems like this has already been well documented. I wonder if the non-SUV's with this motor have similar issues. I haven't been able to find any threads or complaints about it.

Looks like they have a different tune, and different hardware too.

Last edited:
This thread keeps reminding me of one of the big reasons I traded for a RAV4. I am not yet in the single digits here, but I am pretty sure I will suffer zero power retarding. Mazda comes SO close to perfect. I think this may be their biggest fail that I experienced with my GT Reserve.

This thread keeps reminding me of one of the big reasons I traded for a RAV4. I am not yet in the single digits here, but I am pretty sure I will suffer zero power retarding. Mazda comes SO close to perfect. I think this may be their biggest fail that I experienced with my GT Reserve.
Certainly killed any desire I had to buy a turbo CX5.

Certainly killed any desire I had to buy a turbo CX5.
Yeah. I could rip the $7500 tax deduction out of my Prime, and sell it for 5k over sticker that I paid, and then walk into a cx5 sig 2022 fpr msrp and 5k down, and chop $150-200/mo off my payments. ..but screw that. I don't want one. Not after owning this.

I haven't heard much about any oil consumption issues, but there is a dedicated thread for the coolant leak issue (with a link to a TSB available).

Keep the thread on topic please.

I haven't heard much about any oil consumption issues, but there is a dedicated thread for the coolant leak issue (with a link to a TSB available).

Keep the thread on topic please.
There is a consumption issue. Valve problems. Mazda corporate is aware. No fix is out. Mazda has issues, imo. Back to the topic as requested, Id be very curious if the 2022 models with the hp bump to 256 on 93 got this issue quietly sorted.

Today I finally solved the issue I was having with cold weather acceleration………….. I ordered a ‘22 BMW X3 M40i.
Those are beastly! Drop a review when you get it!
C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 4.4 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 11.2 sec
Zero to 130 mph: 21.0 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 5.3 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 2.8 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 3.4 sec

Standing ¼-mile: 13.0 sec @ 107 mph
Top speed (governor limited, C/D est): 155 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 158 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.85 g

I'd still run it from a moderate speed roll in my RAV4 :p Gotta pick my victories where I can find them, rofl!

C/D TEST RESULTS
60 mph: 5.4 sec
100 mph: 14.0 sec
Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 5.6 sec
Top gear, 30–50 mph: 2.7 sec
Top gear, 50–70 mph: 3.4 sec

1/4 mile: 14.0 sec @ 100 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 117 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 195 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.75 g

Today I finally solved the issue I was having with cold weather acceleration………….. I ordered a ‘22 BMW X3 M40i.

Exciting news! Have they given you a ballpark delivery date? Any more info on the specs and options you chose? If you decide to reply, would you mind creating a new thread in the Lounge?

I genuinely apologize for reviving this heated discussion but I'm about to get a CE AWD Turbo and I stumbled upon the older threads about the loss of power in the turbos in cold weather. Tried really hard to answer my own question but couldn't find anything specific about 2021 models having this problem. Can anyone verify that the 2021 turbos also have issues with turbo power in the cold? Thanks!

I genuinely apologize for reviving this heated discussion but I'm about to get a CE AWD Turbo and I stumbled upon the older threads about the loss of power in the turbos in cold weather. Tried really hard to answer my own question but couldn't find anything specific about 2021 models having this problem. Can anyone verify that the 2021 turbos also have issues with turbo power in the cold? Thanks!

Yes the restriction is still there in 2021 models (see @teddymac's post at the top of this page).

Back