2019 CX9 AWD Fast Tire Wear

Anyone else with a 2019 CX9 with the Yokohama Geolander HT G056 tires have fast tire wear? Since I've had the car new I've noticed these tires wearing out way faster than expected. Now with only 27k miles, the tire wear is down to 4/32. Yokohama tires have typically been my choice for replacement tires because they last long and have good ride quality and handling but these are wearing down way faster than normal. Yokohamas will usually last me 40-50k miles on a suv.

I'm wondering if it's just the CX9 that just eats up tires or maybe that my CX9 is AWD. Would love to hear from other fellow CX9 owners if you experience the same problem with fast tire wear. I'm trying to figure out which tires to get to replace these tires that will last longer. Hopefully it's not just that these CX9s eat up tires quick regardless of which tires are on them.

Thanks!

Sounds about right. From what I remember reading in other posts, OEM tires last about 30k. I can attest that my experience with a '21 CX9 (14 k mile'ish) is similar.

I've been neglecting to do a tire rotation. When I rotated them today, my front tire was worn about 50% and the back about 35%. So, I figure my tires will last about 30k.

All OEM tires are a compromise especially in terms of cost. That usually means they'll slap on tires that are moderately well performing, but with out too much life. Because so many cars are leased, 30k tire life on OEM seems to be par for the course lately.

I'm probably going All Terrain after this tire is worn out, if I decide to buy the car. (likely) If i'm going to resell (maybe) or return (probably not), I will slap on some used tires from ebay.

How fast a Tire wear depends on the treadwear rating, regardless of the brand. Every brand as longer lasting and shorter lasting tire in their inventory, based on their design. Original tires are chosen for specific characteristics, for the CX-9 they have often chosen softer tire with lower treadwear to improve grip and handling instead of “ecotire” which are harder, last longer and have better fuel mileage.

You can check the side of your yokohama’s to see what the treadwear value is.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info about the treadwear rating. I checked treadwear rating on the Yokohama Geolander HT G056 that came new with the car and it shows 280 rating. The Geolander HT G056 sold on America's Tire shows a treadwear rating of 720. It's surprising to me that the tire company would do this because someone not in the know would avoid this tire model again thinking it would not last long but understanding that even with the same model number it comes in OE on new car with lower treadwear than replacement bought at tire shop. Figured they would have used a different model number for OE tire in new vehicle.

Original equipment tires are, as you spotted, sometimes different from aftermarket tires of the same make & model.

Tire wear has several factors...the tire rubber compound and internal construction, inflation pressures, how vigorously driven, speed driven and weight carried, wheel alignment, even the abrasiveness of the aggregate used in road paving in that region.

Mr. Zoom, assuming everything else remained constant from your previous driving, you might consider a 4 wheel alignment check. For a tire with longer tread life consider looking at tirerack.com's Decision Guide. Put in the factors most important to you and see what it shows.
https://www.tirerack.com/content/tirerack/desktop/en/tire_decision_guide.html

Thanks for the info about the treadwear rating. I checked treadwear rating on the Yokohama Geolander HT G056 that came new with the car and it shows 280 rating. The Geolander HT G056 sold on America's Tire shows a treadwear rating of 720. It's surprising to me that the tire company would do this because someone not in the know would avoid this tire model again thinking it would not last long but understanding that even with the same model number it comes in OE on new car with lower treadwear than replacement bought at tire shop. Figured they would have used a different model number for OE tire in new vehicle.

Exactly. 280 treadwear explains the 30k range. Factory tire are often quite different from the same aftermarket tire. Like you i am not sure why they don’t use a different tire model name, it gets pretty confusing. The story here is that if you buy the same geolander it should last you a lot longer, but it may not behave the same way either, so you might as well shop around for the best option.

Your stock Geolandar H/T G056B P255/60R18 107H has “280 B A” UTQG rating whereas Yokohama® Geolandar H/T G056 255/60R18 112V XL has “720 A A” UTQG rating. They obviously are totally different tires. 280 treadwear rating means it’s a 28K-mile tire. So you stock tire wear is normal.

For your next tire purchase, see here:

255/50R20 Tire Comparison Table for Gen-2 CX-9 - Many to Choose From

Back