Gasket Head blown Mazda CX-5 2.2D AWD 2015 Japanese Specs

Hello forum,

I am posting my story so others can find solution to the problems they are facing.

Symptoms
1 . When the car detects high temperature (red temp light coming on and off for a split of a second) the car enters what is called Low Power Settings.this
means it doesn't accelerate and I have noticed the aircon stops working(logical)
2 . Coolant reservoir fills up
3 . World wide know symptom the engine is sprayed with coolant

Problem
The head gasket is blown.Pressure from the cylinder head now escapes into the water cooling system,the water cooling system has the overpressure function to autoprotect and relieves pressure(and water) into the coolant reservoir.Coolant reservoir fills up and when full the next incoming water creates pressure and that opens the coolant reservoir cap and sprays the engine. There are two gaskets.The first gasket at the top is called the "camshaft gasket",this is NOT the problem.The engine needs to be disassembled to the lower level to find the "cylinder head gasket" which is the problem. The car has this failure due to poor design from the factory .

Solution
I have just received the car from the mechanic PROMISING that NO mazda that he has been working from 2015 has returned to his garage.So I dont know if this thing is going to work

Mazda stealership denies everything and even deny the existence for this common problem although I service it there

The person who has promised a solution is a mechanic that is doesnt work for mazda
The strategy was to disassemble the complete engine,also needed to replace the head gasket, and see what has failed and replace only those components
Unfortunately this guy changed everything(list follows) because he didnt want to be blamed if the car failed from a different component in the future

things to be changed from MAZDA faulty engines
  • My overhead camshaft was already replaced, and also a cooling tube originally plastic and changed to metallic.
  • oil strainer (output of oil pump has a strainer that fails, this gives amber/red oil pressure).also this problem goes away with oil change due to contamination
  • two turbos if they fail due to oil contamination.Oil gets diluted due to diesel intrusion in oil resulting in not good lubrication of the engine in general but specifically the turbos. Lower oil intervals recommended. The only thing that was aftermarket were the two turbos costing 750 euro because mazda quoted 4500 euro
  • head gasket which is the component that created all the problems
  • IF you didn't attend this problem from the beginning, that means you engine block has been overheated resulting in distortion and even cracks at some point and it would require replacement. If you are lucky like me you will take the engine body to the machinist to straighten your cylinder head via removal of metal
Thats it for now.If I remember anything else I will post it later

The total cost was 3000euros

Best regards
atheos_mb

Attachments

• mazda parts.jpg
    mazda parts.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 221
Hello forum,

I am posting my story so others can find solution to the problems they are facing.

Symptoms
1 . When the car detects high temperature (red temp light coming on and off for a split of a second) the car enters what is called Low Power Settings.this
means it doesn't accelerate and I have noticed the aircon stops working(logical)
2 . Coolant reservoir fills up
3 . World wide know symptom the engine is sprayed with coolant

Problem
The head gasket is blown.Pressure from the cylinder head now escapes into the water cooling system,the water cooling system has the overpressure function to autoprotect and relieves pressure(and water) into the coolant reservoir.Coolant reservoir fills up and when full the next incoming water creates pressure and that opens the coolant reservoir cap and sprays the engine. There are two gaskets.The first gasket at the top is called the "camshaft gasket",this is NOT the problem.The engine needs to be disassembled to the lower level to find the "cylinder head gasket" which is the problem. The car has this failure due to poor design from the factory .

Solution
I have just received the car from the mechanic PROMISING that NO mazda that he has been working from 2015 has returned to his garage.So I dont know if this thing is going to work

Mazda stealership denies everything and even deny the existence for this common problem although I service it there

The person who has promised a solution is a mechanic that is doesnt work for mazda
The strategy was to disassemble the complete engine,also needed to replace the head gasket, and see what has failed and replace only those components
Unfortunately this guy changed everything(list follows) because he didnt want to be blamed if the car failed from a different component in the future

things to be changed from MAZDA faulty engines
  • My overhead camshaft was already replaced, and also a cooling tube originally plastic and changed to metallic.
  • oil strainer (output of oil pump has a strainer that fails, this gives amber/red oil pressure).also this problem goes away with oil change due to contamination
  • two turbos if they fail due to oil contamination.Oil gets diluted due to diesel intrusion in oil resulting in not good lubrication of the engine in general but specifically the turbos. Lower oil intervals recommended. The only thing that was aftermarket were the two turbos costing 750 euro because mazda quoted 4500 euro
  • head gasket which is the component that created all the problems
  • IF you didn't attend this problem from the beginning, that means you engine block has been overheated resulting in distortion and even cracks at some point and it would require replacement. If you are lucky like me you will take the engine body to the machinist to straighten your cylinder head via removal of metal
Thats it for now.If I remember anything else I will post it later

The total cost was 3000euros

Best regards
atheos_mb
Are you in UK? Some countries such as Taiwan have mandatory recall with engine replacement and lifetime warranty forced by the government for this problem on Mazda’s 2.2L diesel. The result is Mazda Taiwan had stopped importing all models with 2.2L diesel into the country a couple of years ago even though their diesel models are very popular.

Honestly if the engine design hasn’t changed or modified for the root cause of the problem, even with new head gasket the same problem eventually will be resurfaced again. Time to get rid of the CX-5 with 2.2L diesel.

@atheos_mb Thanks for the update on your experience dealing with the head gasket problem. I appreciate you taking the time to do that.

... Unfortunately this guy changed everything(list follows) because he didnt want to be blamed if the car failed from a different component in the future ...
Looking through the parts list of what was changed in your engine, I believe your mechanic did a very good job for you. Seems like a reasonable cost for what was done.
I see you said that he hasn't had any 2.2 diesel come back after he repaired but did he offer a written warranty of a certain time or mileage? It seems like he's done a least a few of these repairs and seems experienced at it so that's good!

... Honestly if the engine design hasn’t changed or modified for the root cause of the problem, even with new head gasket the same problem eventually will be resurfaced again. Time to get rid of the CX-5 with 2.2L diesel.
I agree with this (partially). If the root cause of the failure has not been addressed, it makes sense that it will happen again eventually. Check with your mechanic and ask if the parts he used are updated to solve the problems.

I disagree that "it's time to get rid of" your cx-5 after just spending a lot of money repairing it. If you enjoy driving it, I would keep it.

I agree with this (partially). If the root cause of the failure has not been addressed, it makes sense that it will happen again eventually. Check with your mechanic and ask if the parts he used are updated to solve the problems.
Even with new head gasket, the potential “overheating without any warnings” problem is still there. Head gasket is not the root cause, but the way the cylinder head designed is.

I disagree that "it's time to get rid of" your cx-5 after just spending a lot of money repairing it. If you enjoy driving it, I would keep it.
3000€ is actually not bad for the fix. But considering the same problem potentially is still there, especially there’s not any overheating warnings when the coolant is spreading out in the engine compartment, it just makes sense (at least to me) to sell the car while he can. There’re plenty of other CUVs which can be enjoyed driving it. Besides, the diesel ban is getting closer (some areas in EU is 2025). You don’t want to wait until that time to get rid of a diesel.

Below you can find the answers to the questions from all the previous posts

1. I like the car very much, upgrading from a Honda Jazz 2005 makes me feel like commandeering a space ship with all these extras. Also JUST after spending 3000 euros I am not going to sell it
2 . I live in Cyprus,Europe and neither the dealership and ESPECIALLY the government in not going to back me up in this situation
3.As I mentioned already in the original post, the mechanic used the upgraded version of ALL the parts that MAZDA supplies. Mazda(Japan) at a point acknowledged(without admitting) the fact of the design failure and came up with the upgraded parts. ARE these parts going to solve the problem? WHO knows???
The mechanic told me that through the years he requested several parts from Mazda to replace the failed ones he found in different engines he worked on. The parts he got finally were different in part numbers and materials thus leading him to the conclusion that these were the upgraded ones
4. The mechanic insists that with this kind of repair the problem no longer exists
5. The mechanic has offered me a written warranty or guarantee (don't know the difference) for 1 year .Anyway in the country I am I doubt it if this thing means anything

Back