CX-60 and CX-80 for Europe (CX-70 and CX-90 for the US)

No, that is the CX-50 since this will be assembled in the US. There was some initial confusion from the rumour sites thinking this was RWD model as they didn’t realize a new FWD model was coming for the US.

The RWD CX-60 thru CX-90 will be manufactured in Japan so any leaks would come from Japan. My guess is that we will see the RWD CX-60 for other countries first before the US gets the CX-90.

You seem rather confident for something that is pure speculation at this point. Can I ask how you know this to be true or are you just speculating?

You seem rather confident for something that is pure speculation at this point. Can I ask how you know this to be true or are you just speculating?
The Europe and US press releases mentioned that the CX-60 and CX-90, respectively would be coming ahead of the CX-80/70. With the CX-50 coming early next year it would make sense for Mazda Japan to start with the CX-60 ahead of the CX-90 as the US will be focused on selling the CX-50. Also, Mazda Japan will want the first RWD CUV to be available in Japan to promote and the CX-60 will be available for sale in that market. The CX-70 will be one of the last CUVs to be released and likely not until 2023. For the CX-50 we will see that confirmed next month.

Thanks for opening my eyes. I'm not sure why anyone would by the hybrid over the plugin hybrid then, given the $7500 rebate. My state adds $750, for a total of $8250. That is huge! This car just went up to the top slot for me when we are ready to buy.
You should be aware of how that $7,500 works.

First, it is not a rebate; it is a non-refundable Federal tax credit. That means you must have a Federal tax bill of at least $7,500 in the year you buy the vehicle to take full advantage. If your tax bill is less then that's the tax credit you'll get.

Second, once a manufacturer (not model) hits 200,000 US unit sales of qualifying vehicles the tax credit phases out. In the first six months after a manufacturer hits the 200,000 mark the tax credit is cut in half and then in half again in the following six months, then eliminated entirely after that. For example, $7,500 goes to $3,750 in the six month period after the manufacturer hits 200,000 in sales, then $1,875 for the following six months, then zero.

Third, not all EVs/plug-ins qualify for the full $7,500. It depends on battery size. For example, RAV4 Prime plug-in does currently qualify for the $7,500 whereas the Prius plug-in qualifies for $4,502. I would not venture a guess on when Toyota (or anybody else) will hit 200,000 in US EV/plug-in sales but be aware the clock is ticking. Your "when ready to buy" could have a credit phase out or expiration date.

Fourth, Tesla and GM are the two makers who have burned through all credits. Any EV/plug-in from those two have zero Federal credits.

Fifth, as for a particular state tax credit, you'd have to get into the weeds like these Federal weeds to see if you and a particular vehicle would qualify and for how much.

Here's a recent list of qualifying EVs and the amounts of potential credits:

There is a pending Democratic bill that would extend the program, with a max tax credit of $12.500 up to 400,000 units. Chances of getting this passed? No comment.

Last edited by a moderator:
You should be aware of how that $7,500 works.

First, it is not a rebate; it is a non-refundable Federal tax credit. That means you must have a Federal tax bill of at least $7,500 in the year you buy the vehicle to take full advantage. If your tax bill is less then that's the tax credit you'll get.

Second, once a manufacturer (not model) hits 200,000 US unit sales of qualifying vehicles the tax credit phases out. In the first six months after a manufacturer hits the 200,000 mark the tax credit is cut in half and then in half again in the following six months, then eliminated entirely after that. For example, $7,500 goes to $3,750 in the six month period after the manufacturer hits 200,000 in sales, then $1,875 for the following six months, then zero.

Third, not all EVs/plug-ins qualify for the full $7,500. It depends on battery size. For example, RAV4 Prime plug-in does currently qualify for the $7,500 whereas the Prius plug-in qualifies for $4,502. I would not venture a guess on when Toyota (or anybody else) will hit 200,000 in US EV/plug-in sales but be aware the clock is ticking. Your "when ready to buy" could have a credit phase out or expiration date.

Fourth, Tesla and GM are the two makers who have burned through all credits. Any EV/plug-in from those two have zero Federal credits.

Fifth, as for a particular state tax credit, you'd have to get into the weeds like these Federal weeds to see if you and a particular vehicle would qualify and for how much.

Here's a recent list of qualifying EVs and the amounts of potential credits:

There is a pending Democratic bill that would extend the program, with a max tax credit of $12.500 up to 400,000 units. Chances of getting this passed? No comment.
Also, the manufacturers markup their product to absorb that $7,500. Case in point, RAV4 Prime. I was first on the list for one of those until I saw the $50k price tag for a well equipped model. Hence the 2020 Signature in my garage.

The Europe and US press releases mentioned that the CX-60 and CX-90, respectively would be coming ahead of the CX-80/70. With the CX-50 coming early next year it would make sense for Mazda Japan to start with the CX-60 ahead of the CX-90 as the US will be focused on selling the CX-50. Also, Mazda Japan will want the first RWD CUV to be available in Japan to promote and the CX-60 will be available for sale in that market. The CX-70 will be one of the last CUVs to be released and likely not until 2023. For the CX-50 we will see that confirmed next month.

So speculation than...

Also, the manufacturers markup their product to absorb that $7,500. Case in point, RAV4 Prime. I was first on the list for one of those until I saw the $50k price tag for a well equipped model. Hence the 2020 Signature in my garage.
Any vehicle that is at all popular or in short supply is marked up in this environment, not just EVs/plug-ins.

Found out a patent for a double wishbone from Mazda so my guess is this is how they're next large architecture front suspension will look.

Anybody more tech savvy that can tell what else they can see in there ?

1634395247857.png

Found out a patent for a double wishbone from Mazda so my guess is this is how they're next large architecture front suspension will look.

Anybody more tech savvy that can tell what else they can see in there ?

View attachment 303969
Do you have any other documentation or angles? From what I can see in this photo it’s the front suspension for a dedicated RWD car as there isn’t enough clearance for a drive shaft.

The US dealers do have more details on when the CX-50/70/90 will be released. The CX-50 will go on sale in Q2/2022. This lines up with the January production date that Mazda confirmed in their press release. The CX-90 will be released during Q3/2022 while the CX-70 will come out in 2023.

Another person on Reddit who works for Mazda Corporate confirmed the above and mentioned the below regarding the CX-90.

"It is! So far we’ve only seen video walk arounds of the exterior and interior but it’s larger, taller, and considerably nicer than the current CX-9. Very excited for the reveal next October."

In Japan the following was leaked regarding the CX-60/80.

〇 Regarding CX-60.

・ World premiere in February, reservation start in April.

・ The price range is 4 to 5 million yen due to mandatory safety equipment and differentiation from the CX-5 .

Diesel is 3,300㏄ and mild hybrid is confirmed.

・ The plug-in hybrid is a higher grade and will be released later (will it be released later?)

〇 other new SUV for

・ The standard body 3-row seat SUV "CX-80" of the large product group was announced in 2023.

So is the CX-60 is equivalent to the American CX-50 or the CX-70?
The CX-60 would be similar to the CX-70 as they are both on the new RWD platform. The CX-60 would be narrower for the Japan and Europe needs, also the CX-60 would have inline-6 SkyactivX Gas or Diesel engines while the CX-70 would have an inline-6 Gas Turbo. They will both offer a hybrid although I don’t know if it is the same engine for both markets. The CX-50 is FWD based on the same platform as the Mazda3/CX-30.

Since the CX-60 will be announced first it will give us an idea of the interior and exterior changes that we can expect for the CX-70/90, along with the AWD improvement and the new auto transmission. It could also give us an idea on pricing as we could compare to how the CX-5 is priced is Europe.

So is the CX-60 is equivalent to the American CX-50 or the CX-70?
It does seem like the CX-60 will be the successor to the CX-5 for Asia and Europe making it equivalent to the CX-50. I’m guessing the North American CX-70 will be similar in dimensions to the Hyundai Santa Fe. I’m also guessing that I, a resident of a CX-50 market, will be envious of those getting the CX-60.

Last edited:
I paid msrp for my Prime XSE a month ago.
Screenshot_20211024-010918_Gallery.jpg

I love it. Insane mpg, and a huge performance increase over my cx5 grand touring reserve, 2019, which they gave me $25k in trade for, with 80k miles. I will reevaluate things when the CX70 drops.

I paid msrp for my Prime XSE a month ago.
View attachment 304164

I love it. Insane mpg, and a huge performance increase over my cx5 grand touring reserve, 2019, which they gave me $25k in trade for, with 80k miles. I will reevaluate things when the CX70 drops.
Correct, the MSRP’s are inflated to absorb the $7,500. I’m sure there were dealer markups as well, but the XSE I reserved after they announced it ended up close to $50k. I spent a number of months on the RAV4 Prime forum leading up to the release, and there was a lot of speculation on price. The majority of the contributors were early adopters of hybrid, PHEV, and EV vehicles. Conventional buyers like myself predicted $37.5-$45k based on our perception of value. The early adopters predicted a $50k ceiling based on their experience with initial releases of those types of vehicles. They were right. What’s happened in the past is the manufacturer later offered heavy rebates once the $7,500 tax incentives dry up. Long story short, I chose the CX-5 Signature at $34k over the RAV4 Prime at almost $50k. In my situation the tax incentive and mileage difference weren’t enough to offset the price.

Correct, the MSRP’s are inflated to absorb the $7,500. I’m sure there were dealer markups as well, but the XSE I reserved after they announced it ended up close to $50k. I spent a number of months on the RAV4 Prime forum leading up to the release, and there was a lot of speculation on price. The majority of the contributors were early adopters of hybrid, PHEV, and EV vehicles. Conventional buyers like myself predicted $37.5-$45k based on our perception of value. The early adopters predicted a $50k ceiling based on their experience with initial releases of those types of vehicles. They were right. What’s happened in the past is the manufacturer later offered heavy rebates once the $7,500 tax incentives dry up. Long story short, I chose the CX-5 Signature at $34k over the RAV4 Prime at almost $50k. In my situation the tax incentive and mileage difference weren’t enough to offset the price.
Mine cost me $44,XXX for my Prime XSE Weather package. Whether or not Toyota reduces this later, I do not know. Financially, it was a much better move than keeping my CX5 GT Reserve, but I also had some complaints about that vehicle that pushed me to trade, as well.

-No boost in 1,2nd gears in cold weather.
-Seats were a throwback to the C6 Corvette.
-Car always felt twitchy on the highway (steering wheel and chassis vibrations, very small/minor, but it wore on you), had harmonics that were annoying, and no tire change or rebalance did anything for it.
-Never could get acceleration from a stop like claimed by any magazines. My best 0-60 was around 7 seconds. Not 5.8-6.4.

Either Mazda is revealing 2 new models next week, or the black and white camouflaged is the CX-70 due for reveal next year. Notice the difference in spacing and angle of the lines between the door handle and brake light. Definitely 2 different vehicles.

A6727B14-A951-4CBA-ACED-905FE3E8ADC9.png
526FAD59-540F-458B-8370-EE6A40F0B8CB.jpeg

Back