What did you pay for your CX-5?

NADA shows retail value for that 2015 at $18,400 in the Houston market
Nice, thank you!

I mentioned in a thread...somewhere...this was the worst possible time to buy a used new car frpm everything I'm reading, but this one hit everyone of my "Must haves" and all but two of my "would be nice(s)" (a different color and an already installed hitch. I was Another car on the lot had both, but it was also ~100K. And I was going to put in car seats of a different color cloth anyway, so let's mark that a "don't care." ; p ). And it was available when I needed it. If the sloths that underwrite my credit union's loans get their act together (cause the dealership failed to), I'll pick up tomorrow (the guy I worked with at my credit union was a-maz-ing. The rates and stuff are in a table somewhere, nothing much you can do about that, but he answered a s*** ton of questions, submitted multiple cars and amounts for approvals, awesome dude. But of course everything has to go up the chain of command.)

Anyway you've settled my mind sir or madam, much appreciated!

NADA shows retail value for that 2015 at $18,400 in the Houston market

That NADA site is cool - I like how it puts trade in versus retail. Anyway, I ran specs specific to my area and the installed options, this is what I get. I'm not sure if my minor scuffs and scratches count as clean, but I came in pretty damn close to this. Again, if you count the bulls*** markups by the dealer, I hit it almost right on the money.

Thank you thank you again.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    72.6 KB · Views: 152
My last comment on this.

I just found out black book comes my with my consumer reports subscription (woulda been REAL helpful to know that last week! insert homer simpson 'doh gif here)

Anyway, given everything we've discussed, I'd say i'm close to clean, so think I came out good. 4% over BB. (i'm feeling like the luckiest bastard on the planet)

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    31.1 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
I cannot speak of the purchase price as our's was a lease, not a purchase but our dealer gave us a great deal, as far as I know. I had previously owned a 2014 CX-5 GT and thought I'd keep it for at least 8-10 years until my wife and I switched over to a leased 2018 CX5/GT in Oct. 2018 which was a 48-month lease. Loving my CX-5 and thinking I'd go the full 48 months; we were surprised when about 2 weeks ago, the Mazda people called us about coming to their special "VIP" event to view the latest models. Apparently, with the pandemic, they have very few quality used vehicles on their lot and are trying to entice clients into switching up. We decided to attend but were sure we wouldn't budge due to the very low mileage (barely 21000 kms!) on our existing Mazda and decided the only way we've trade-in would be for something as good or better and at a lower price. Well darn it if the Mazda people did not give us a hard to refuse deal on a fully loaded 2021 CX-5 GT with every accessory we presently have in our 2018, plus a couple of extra, plus at a lower monthly price than what we're paying now. So in about 8-10 days, we'll be picking up our brand new, loaded 2021 CX-5 GT.

I spoke at length with one of their Reps about my urge to switch to one of their "Turbo" models. The fellow was very forthcoming and explained that unless I was prepared to pay for 93 octane on a full-time basis. the turbos are not worth the extra money. Mazda does agree that the cars will run on 87 octanes, naturally producing less hp but in the long run, you might run into premature fouling and turbo issues with the cheaper gas.

We did take a test drive in a new CX-30 as we 1st thought of downsizing a bit as we are empty nesters now. The CX-30 is a nice vehicle and pulls well with the 2.5L motor but overall, is a noticeable step down from the CX-5 in many areas.
For daily driving many folks would tell no difference between regular and premium fuel in the turbo, and running 87 will cause no harm. It's designed to work with 87 octane. I think that advice is terrible.

The torque curves for the turbo on regular vs. premium are identical until in the very high revs.

The turbo does put out much more torque than the naturally aspirated gas engine, even in the low revs. You should feel a significantly different response .

The advice is about exactly wrong, unless you are talking about racing.

Out of curiosity I looked at the dealer's stock from where I got my car from 3.5 years ago. They only have 24 CX-5s, all 2021 models. They only have one Sport trim and the MSRP is $1,320.00 higher than when I got mine, not counting destination charge, which they usually take off, or extras like wheel locks. So the pickings are on the slim side.

They only have one Sport trim and the MSRP is $1,320.00 higher than when I got mine, not counting destination charge, which they usually take off, or extras like wheel locks. So the pickings are on the slim side.
You might negotiate an $11,00 discount, but they never/can't take off the destination charge - that's part of the factory sticker price

Last edited:
You might negotiate an $1,1,00 discount, but they never/can't take off the destination charge - that's part of the factory sticker price
In my state, they won't take off the documentation fee, it is hard typed in the contract. I guess he reduced the price by the destination fee as opposed to removing it. I didn't even have to negotiate it.

Last edited:
I record the trade values of my vehicles on a quarterly basis using Kelley's mid-point for my specified vehicle condition as a rough guide.

My 2020 Touring AWD Soul Red with zero options which I specify in "Excellent" condition, now with 9,900 miles, went up $3,295 since 3/31, $4,208 since 12/31/20, to $26,156, about $100 less than what I paid for this dealer service loaner nearly 11 months ago with 4,000 miles.

My 2014 Sienna LE with 94,675 miles which I continue to specify as "Very Good", has gone up $2,400 in 3 months, $2,776 since the first of the year, from around $10K to $13k.

These numbers are from the Buffalo region if that makes any difference.

Of course it is common knowledge used prices are going up but I'm surprised at how dramatically in the last 3 months. No surprise that dealers are reluctant to deal on new.

Yesterday i came to Bass Mazda Dealer in Ohio, asking if they have any discount on Mazda 6 or CX5, they said the price is on their MSRP
i wonder if any Mazda dealer offer price under MSRP or base on invoice price?

Yesterday i came to Bass Mazda Dealer in Ohio, asking if they have any discount on Mazda 6 or CX5, they said the price is on their MSRP
i wonder if any Mazda dealer offer price under MSRP or base on invoice price?
They probably thought you were just tire kicking with that question. You wont get a real answer unless you tell them youre ready to buy. Be specific.

They probably thought you were just tire kicking with that question. You wont get a real answer unless you tell them youre ready to buy. Be specific.
Thank you for your comment
Actually, I came and ready to buy if they offer discount so we could discuss
Tomorrow , Monday i plan going to buy Mazda 6 or CX 5 Touring in
can you advise how much $ can i negotiate the price base on their price MSRP or selling price?
1. MAZDA CX-5 TOURING AWD MSRP : $30,030 ( included destination fee, color charge)

2. Mazda 6 Touring ( MSRP $28,070, selling price $27,070 they offer discount on website $1000)

i wonder how much can we offer Mazda dealer more discount? can you help to suggest?
thank you very much
Happy Four of July to all of you

Last edited:
can you advise how much $ can i negotiate the price base on their price MSRP or selling price?
1. MAZDA CX-5 TOURING AWD MSRP : $30,030 ( included destination fee, color charge)

2. Mazda 6 Touring ( MSRP $28,070, selling price $27,070 they offer discount on website $1000)
i wonder how much can we offer Mazda dealer more discount? can you help to suggest?

thank you very much
Get quotes from all the dealers in your area for the car you want. See who’s lowest, ask the others to beat it. When no one wants to beat your lowest offer then go buy. Its what I did at the beginning of the year, not sure how much it applies now but at least decide on which car you want.

thank you very much
I haven't tried Bedford Mazda, but I would assume it's the same as every other dealer in Northeast Ohio, which is basically no negotiation. Let us know how it goes.

Get quotes from all the dealers in your area for the car you want. See who’s lowest, ask the others to beat it. When no one wants to beat your lowest offer then go buy. Its what I did at the beginning of the year, not sure how much it applies now but at least decide on which car you want.
thank you that is the way we often to do. i will try to come to dealer to check if possible i will buy on Monday
if not i wait next Friday to have more time to deal with
last time i asked 2 salesmen in Bedford but they did not send email to offer

I haven't tried Bedford Mazda, but I would assume it's the same as every other dealer in Northeast Ohio, which is basically no negotiation. Let us know how it goes.
hi Aeroshep, how are you?
thank you for giving more updates. could not believe they stick on their price
i will try tomorrow to check if i can buy on Monday or Friday
in Bass Mazda they have 1 red Mazda 6 Touring and some CX5 cars
in Bedford Mazda they have plenty of cars
do you see any dealer having many car like Mazda of Bedford?

I want the red touring, but I can wait. :)
hi Aeroshep, how are you?
thank you for giving more updates. could not believe they stick on their price
i will try tomorrow to check if i can buy on Monday or Friday
in Bass Mazda they have 1 red Mazda 6 Touring and some CX5 cars
in Bedford Mazda they have plenty of cars
do you see any dealer having many car like Mazda of Bedford?

Wow, it's like people aren't even reading the last few pages of the thread or being aware of current market conditions. Most dealers are still hurting for inventory. Please don't expect those 10% off msrp deals from 'the before times.' Even 5% off is rare right now as most dealers are holding to msrp because they don't have many cars to sell and need to make more on the ones they have to make up for it.

i wonder how much can we offer Mazda dealer more discount? can you help t to suggest?
thank you very much
Happy Four of July to all of you
Mazda 6 is being discontinued in the US after the 2021 model year which probably explains why you're seeing $1000 cash back. Mazda would want them done and gone by the time 2022's hit the lots. You might have a shot at getting a dealer to take something more off MSRP. Or maybe not--the 6 was a low volume seller to begin with so there are not a lot hanging around. I would expect you'd get a decent deal on a 6 come fall on final clearance for whatever are left but the pickings will be slimmer yet. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back