How much oil *really* does 2016 Skyactiv 2.5G engine take?

:
CX-5, Jeep
Just started changing my own oil in my 2016 CX-5 Touring AWD with 2.5L. Manual says 4.8 qts. At 4 qts the level was down below the add mark on the dipstick. I put in another quart (5 qts total) and the dipstick appears to only read about halfway up between the marks. Looks like it could take another half quart. Your experience?

The vehicle was level, I ran the engine for awhile then and let it sit for a few minutes before checking.

Sorry if this repeats an earlier question. I searched and could not find.

Last edited:
Just started changing my own oil in my 2016 CX-5 Touring AWD with 2.5L. Manual says 4.8 qts. At 4 qts the level was down below the add mark on the dipstick. I put in another quart (5 qts total) and the dipstick appears to only read about halfway up between the marks. Looks like it could take another half quart. Your experience?

The vehicle was level, I ran the engine for awhile then and let it sit for a few minutes before checking.

Sorry if this repeats an earlier question. I searched and could not find.
It has been discussed many times about incorrect or inconsistent “approximate” fluid capacities stated in Mazda owner’s manual and factory service manual. For SkyActiv-G 2.5L non-turbo, manuals say 4.8 quarts for oil and oil filter replacement; but in reality it takes about 5.3 quarts to make oil level to reach the full mark on the dipstick. Also, it takes 0.75 ~ 0.8 quarts of gear lubricant to reach the fill-hole for rear differential for gen-1 CX-5 AWD instead of stated 0.48 quarts. Strangely, it takes said 0.48 quarts of gear lubricant for front transfer case!

CX-5 Oil Change with Filter

I always used 5 on my 2015 and 5 on my 2019. Always above the full mark. Dip sticks are approximation.
Did you do it for yourself or just what the dealer told you?

And your newer 2019 2.5T has larger oil capacity than your older 2015 2.5L (5.1 quarts vs. 4.8 quarts) based on specs. The oil level can’t be the same on dipstick with the same 5 quarts.

Approximation has always been used for the excuse of incorrect or inconsistent specs on fluid capacities for CX-5. I wouldn’t call it approximation with 67% difference on real differential between specs and reality. Then the correct capacity spec for front transfer case?

Did you do it for yourself or just what the dealer told you?

And your newer 2019 2.5T has larger oil capacity than your older 2015 2.5L (5.1 quarts vs. 4.8 quarts) based on specs. The oil level can’t be the same on dipstick with the same 5 quarts.

Approximation has always been used for the excuse of incorrect or inconsistent specs on fluid capacities for CX-5. I wouldn’t call it approximation with 67% difference on real differential between specs and reality. Then the correct capacity spec for front transfer case?
Dealer. I supply the oil.

Thanks all for confirming the manual is not accurate on this capacity. Was wondering if I'd forgotten how to read a dipstick. I was surprised by how much oil came out when I drained it. :)

Thanks all for confirming the manual is not accurate on this capacity. Was wondering if I'd forgotten how to read a dipstick. I was surprised by how much oil came out when I drained it. :)
Not surprised as dealers seem to be always overfilling on oil change for some reason.

The manual states an approximate value because the amount you drain is always less than the first dry fill at the factory. I let it drain warm till it only is only about one drip per 5 seconds or so. I dump the full 5 quarts in and it is about 1/8 inch below the max and call it good. Ed

I suspect that the dealer reads the approx fill as 5.2 or 5.4 and sets the filler to 6 quarts in many cases.

I wonder if the discrepancy is because Mazda doesn't necessarily want or need for us to refill up to the full mark. My cx5 doesn't consume much oil and if I refill to half way between the marks that's about where it is when I drain it.

I've been changing the oil on my CX (as well as ALL of my other vehicles) since day one.

I dump in 5 quarts and call it good. On mine that puts it right at the full mark.

Last edited:
The first time I did an oil & filter change on my CX 5 I poured in almost all the oil from a 5 qt. jug.I ran the engine for a minute or so to check for leaks and then buttoned everything back up. When I checked the level later that day it was way low. I ended up adding the rest of the jug plus a measured 16 oz. from another bottle which brought it right up to the top line on the dipstick. Next oil & filter change I just used a 5 qt. jug plus another half quart which also read to the top line on the dipstick.

So Mazda's published capacity of 4.8 quarts is way off. A full 5 qt. jug still measures about halfway between low and full on the dipstick and I prefer my cars to have a full sump at all times.

I noticed on my first oil change that when I filled the crankcase according to the amount instructed in the manual it only registered between the min and max marks on the dipstick so I had contacted Mazda Canada and asked how much oil for my 2019 CX-5 2.5 L NA engine. Their reply was " Thank you for contacting Mazda Canada. In response to your inquiry, the oil level, when inspected hot, should read half way between MIN and MAX. The vehicle comes from the factory with 0W-20 oil. As for the additive content in our branded oil, we can not provide specifications as this is a proprietary formula.".

I suspect that Mazda prefers the oil level be between the min and max marks to allow for engine oil dilution with gasoline. Once the oil level exceeds the max mark it is deemed to have excess fuel in the oil and must be replaced. I've attached a Mazda December 2017 bulletin on engine oil dilution that explains how direct injection engines experience engine oil dilution under certain conditions.

Previously I had a 2015 Kia Sportage. I live in a northern climate and drive a number of short trips. I'm old school, so I check my oil regularly. When I noticed the engine oil level increasing due to gasoline getting into the oil I went to the Kia dealer and asked what Kia's recommendation was for oil dilution and they told me they never heard of this problem and they would have to do the next 3 oil changes to verify my concern. They didn't want to record the level at specific intervals as I had suggested so I agreed and left the vehicle with them. They later called and instructed me to pick up my vehicle without doing an oil change and washed their hands of addressing my concern even though the vehicle was still under warranty. I contacted Kia Canada and complained of my treatment by the dealer and asked for technical assistance regarding the oil dilution experience. Their response was that they relied on their dealers for technical issues and couldn't help me. They told me if I wasn't satisfied go to a different dealer. So I did some internet research and discovered the Mazda bulletin and that engine oil dilution is a common problem for direction injection gasoline engines. Mazda's bulletin was what prompted me to investigate Mazda and that is why last year I kicked Kia to the curb and bought my 2019 CX-5.

Attachments

• Engine Skyactive G engine oil dilution.pdf
    400.8 KB · Views: 263
I don't think my cx5 has much of a problem with fuel dilution but maybe in lots of short trip cold operation it could happen. Then having the extra 'room' in the sump could be an advantage.

I think every vehicle I've owned warned against over filling. I guess the reason is fear of foaming which could lead to poor lubrication.

Lots of people overfill and apparently don't have a problem, so I try not to worry about it. I also don't worry about the oil being half way between the marks. As long as it's above the 'add' mark it is 100% ok.

A half a quart of gasoline diluting the oil would be a serious problem. Even a few ounces would indicate a big problem. I have also checked my oil hot, like within a half hour of a drive and stone cold and there is zero difference in the level on the dipstick. Regarding fuel dilution, the oil level on my CX 5 has not moved any measurable amount up or down in the 2600 miles since the last change. And I make a lot of short trips, like 10 mile round trips into town which qualifies for severe service.

Change the oil every 5000 miles using good synthetic even though you may be tempted to go 7500 miles. And try to get the engine good and hot every couple of weeks if you make a lot of short trips like I do and you shouldn't experience any fuel dilution issues.

When my car was brand new, I checked the oil level and it was at the full line. So when I change my oil I want it at the full line. If Mazda really wanted it full at the half way point, they would have put a line there and marked that as full. I think they just did not update the manual from when they had a smaller oil pan.

Back