new 8 speed transmission coming?

From what I gathered so far...
The inline-6 will be in next FMC Mazda6 w/ 8-speed transmission.
Naturally, it will be a RWD or AWD.
Mazda knows that Mazda6 can no longer compete with Accord or Camry and make money. It has to find a new segment.
A $35k-$45k RWD Mazda6 w/ 350hp seems very sweet to me.
Even better with 35mpg on highway (where 8-speed comes into the picture).

What does that mean--a more compact arrangement of the cylinder ports? I wish they had a picture. I heard the reason straight six engines lost favor because the crankshafts are too long.
Mazda isn't afraid of 'different' types of engines and trying new things.

What does that mean--a more compact arrangement of the cylinder ports? I wish they had a picture. I heard the reason straight six engines lost favor because the crankshafts are too long.
Mazda isn't afraid of 'different' types of engines and trying new things.

From the looks of it, only two exhaust ports in total. Not sure how that works!

Mazda knows that Mazda6 can no longer compete with Accord or Camry and make money. It has to find a new segment.

Should take on entry model luxury small cars like the CLA, Lexus IS, TSX, ect.

Inline-6 8-speed was my prediction........but the smaller block? Pretty sneaky there Mazda. You'd be able to fit a turbo in there easily.

350 hp and 35 mpg? I-6 with 8-speed auto or not, you simply can’t have it both ways.

Why not?
If you look at BMW 540x
335hp, 22/30mpg, 8-speed, inline-6 dual turbo....
With Skyactiv-X, which claimed to have more power and higher MPG, one can hope for 350hp @35mpg (hwy).

Why not?
If you look at BMW 540x
335hp, 22/30mpg, 8-speed, inline-6 dual turbo....
With Skyactiv-X, which claimed to have more power and higher MPG, one can hope for 350hp @35mpg (hwy).
From 22/30 mpg, or 25 combined, to 35 mpg (even if you’re talking about highway mpg) is a big jump, especially on a CUV. And you want to have more power and higher mpg? To get 350 hp on an I-6 you got to use turbo, then saving gas would become harder. Just look at the results of SkyActiv-X where Mazda has put a lot of effort to.

350 hp and 35 mpg? I-6 with 8-speed auto or not, you simply can’t have it both ways.
My z06 had 505hp and Ingot 26mpg highway. Pushrod, 7L, 6speed, port injection. Give us a deep OD, and make the engine well, and I'd bet we should see 30 in a cx5.

From 22/30 mpg, or 25 combined, to 35 mpg (even if you’re talking about highway mpg) is a big jump, especially on a CUV. And you want to have more power and higher mpg? To get 350 hp on an I-6 you got to use turbo, then saving gas would become harder. Just look at the results of SkyActiv-X where Mazda has put a lot of effort to.
What? Dude...bmw pulled 333bhp 2 decades ago from an NA i6.

Chrysler is getting 295hp out of a dated v6 in a jeep for crying out loud.

What? Dude...bmw pulled 333bhp 2 decades ago from an NA i6.

Chrysler is getting 295hp out of a dated v6 in a jeep for crying out loud.
Yeah BMW M Series did get 335 hp on a naturally aspirated I-6 20 years ago but with what kind of gas mileage? 17/23 city/highway mpg with 19 combined!

Like I said, you can’t have it both ways.

Last edited:
Bring back the 2-door while you're at it Mazda......

Yeah, I know, there is a zero precent chance of that happening, but a guy can dream.

I always really liked the hatchback coupe Mazda 6 from a couple of generations back that never came to North America. Was always hoping it would but even back then there wasn't enough of a market for it.

My z06 had 505hp and Ingot 26mpg highway. Pushrod, 7L, 6speed, port injection. Give us a deep OD, and make the engine well, and I'd bet we should see 30 in a cx5.

Modern Corvettes actually get good mpgs if driven at posted speeds!!

yrwei52,
Unlike you, I have confidence in Mazda.
Yes, I was talking about highway mpg 35, not combined.
Current gen BMW 540 has twin turbo I6 3.0L making 335hp and with 30mpg highway.
Is that so far away from what I hope for? Only 5mpg away, sir.
Usually, BMW cars are heavier than Japanese counterparts. I knew it since I owned a '98 BMW540iA for 8 yrs... Keep in mind that this new engine is still several years away from now. Mazda still have time to improve Skyactive-X. It is just 1st gen.
As I said, I am hopeful. :)

My take:

The introduction of a six cylinder engine means a bigger and more expensive midsize or fullsize Mazda SUV.

This 8-speed may not be (probably is not) compatible with the 2.5L engine. May have to wait for next gen in 1-2 years.

I wonder what the overall final drive gear ratios are for all of the different CX5 s?

That has a big impact on the cruise MPG.
It might not have as much influence on the EPA rating they use to compute the highway EPA test drive cycle.

I think this is where the 8 and 9 sp automatic transmissions help.

I am not sure that an 8 speed is needed or desired. It will all depend upon the computer programming that controls the shift points. In order to achieve the almighty high mileage ratings, too many vehicles with auto transmissions shift to the higher gears way too soon, resulting in constant "hunting" for the most efficient gear as minor changes in traffic or road conditions occur, short of being on an open freeway and cruising at 70 MPH.
An engine with a lot of torque, as the Skyactiv turbos produce does pretty well with the 6 speed transmission. Maybe going to a 7 speed for an additional overdrive ratio at speeds over 65 or 70 MPH would help mileage but 8 speeds seems to me either a "me too" response to "keep up" with the competition or needless engineering and manufacturing expense.

yrwei52,
Unlike you, I have confidence in Mazda.
Yes, I was talking about highway mpg 35, not combined.
Current gen BMW 540 has twin turbo I6 3.0L making 335hp and with 30mpg highway.
Is that so far away from what I hope for? Only 5mpg away, sir.
Usually, BMW cars are heavier than Japanese counterparts. I knew it since I owned a '98 BMW540iA for 8 yrs... Keep in mind that this new engine is still several years away from now. Mazda still have time to improve Skyactive-X. It is just 1st gen.
As I said, I am hopeful. :)
I believe ICE has reached to its maximum capability and there’s not much we human can do to improve both horsepower and fuel efficiency. Mazda has tried some revolutionary powerplant such as SkyActiv-X which is originally based on HCCI but has to modified to SPCCI, and the result is not as good as expected. IMO hybrid and EV are the right way to improve both areas at the same time. EV still has a long way to go on driving range and charging time. And hybrid is the only viable option to accomplish both more power and better MPG at this time.

They key reason for moving to more speeds is to get a higher overall ratio spread. This directly impacts fuel economy. Mazda used to match or beat some other makers by massaging their designs in other areas such as taking as much friction as possible out of the engine and drivetrain, but the competition has caught up. The can't afford to keep giving away a 5-10% gain in efficiency that a higher ratio spread can provide any longer.

As for the straight six engine I would be surprised if this didn't make it's way into the next generation CX-9. They need that vehicle to be a halo car for their premium brand push and this is a good way to do it. Nobody is impressed by a ubiquitous inline-4 engine, but an inline-6 is perceived as something more special.

The chances of it ever being in the CX-5 are almost zero.

Latest posts

Back