2019 CX-5 Reserve: Buzzing in Dash

I have a 2019 Reserve that has an annoying buzzing coming from the dashboard near the HUD. Its not a typical rattle that comes and goes depending on temperature, road conditions, music, etc. It consistently changes with engine speed. Its most noticeable around 1000-3000 RPM. Reminds me of a bad ground in a head unit or amplifier that results in hearing a noise that varies with RPM through the speakers.

I live off a dirt road, so if it was a typical rattle, I would hear it when the car is vibrating from the rough dirt road.

In the savage geese review of the Signature, he notes an annoying chirping at idle that he thought might be the high pressure fuel pump for the turbo. I dont notice it at idle, but definitely under moderate load. When coasting it almost disappears. As soon as you get back on the throttle, it returns.

Anyone with a 2019 Reserve or Signature experiencing this issue? My car has had this since it had 8 miles on it. I drove 2 Grand Tourings the same day and didnt notice the buzzing.

Last edited:
My 2016 CX-5 has vibration (buzzing) from the dash (it sounds to be coming from the left side of the dash). Dealership so far has opened up the dash and added foam padding etc but it is still there. Vibration is higher when the road is not so smooth.

Now think I have finally figured out the cause. It is the driver side window vibrating which seems to be transferring the vibration sound to the dash. If I leave the window about half inch open while driving the window vibration is very audible. When the car is stopped and if I keep the window down half inch to an inch and then if open the door and pull it close I can hear the vibration and noise from the rattling window itself. It is good quality rattle.

Probably different from your case but another thing to check.

Mine has the same exact issue as the OP described. However it's a function of engine temp because it goes away once the engine reaches normal operating temp. It's a faint buzzing vs a rattle.

I can't really trace the sound under the hood when parked. It seems to be a function of cold engine, approx. 2000-2500 RPM and needs to be under load.

Resonant vibration from fuel pump or valve train???? Skyactive engines aren't the quietest when first started/cold.

It doesn't really bother me since it goes away when warm but I'd like to know exactly what it is and if there's a dealer fix?

Last edited:
Davefr- sounds like the same thing-definitely not a rattle. What year and trim do you have?

I cant tell if temperature really makes a difference for mine. Its definitely still there when its at operating temp. However, it might not be as loud.

Trying to just deal with it because the dealer I bought it from is 2 hours away.

Davefr- sounds like the same thing-definitely not a rattle. What year and trim do you have?

I can*t tell if temperature really makes a difference for mine. It*s definitely still there when it*s at operating temp. However, it might not be as loud.

Trying to just deal with it because the dealer I bought it from is 2 hours away.

'19 Sig.

It's sounds like it's specific to the 2.5T engine because there's no mention of it on 2.5 non turbos.

I know if there is ice along the bottom of the window against the lower seal. Or between the mirror and the door it transfers weird clicking type noises into the car. Possibility ?

After driving into work today, i think its worse when its cold out, regardless of engine temp. I also noticed i can start hearing it around 1200 rpm.

Another way to describe he sound would be similar to a bicycle freewheel when the wheel is spinning without pedaling.

Its back! 100% louder when cold.

It never went away but was barely noticeable in the warmer months.

Im really not happy with the cold weather quirks this car has.

Power loss
Shift flair
Random electronic buzzing

19 Reserve -- no buzzing, chirping, rattling, etc. Perfectly quiet.

Its barely audible when its above freezing.

A few others have reported this sound as well. Another post(that was ironically bumped today by someone else) describes it as a mosquito.

I bet its a thing for all turbo models. Some are more sensitive to these things than others.

Last edited:
I just took my Reserve in to the Mazda dealer this week for 2 issues:

1. The back brake problem that was noted in one of the other threads. They are squeaky if the car was sitting for a while, or in my case most of the time at low speeds.

2. The noise from the front - buzzing, clicking, mosquito, electronic feedback - however you want to describe it. They said that this is normal and the noise is from the high pressure fuel pump. I have noticed that mine is louder now that it's getting cold outside, but it also seems to quiet down on longer trips. (Most of my driving is very local stop and go around suburban Chicago.)

I find it annoying, and mentioned to the service rep that even though they feel it's normal, it is annoying and distracting from the otherwise amazingly quiet cabin experience in the car.

I just took my Reserve in to the Mazda dealer this week for 2 issues:

1. The back brake problem that was noted in one of the other threads. They are squeaky if the car was sitting for a while, or in my case most of the time at low speeds.

2. The noise from the front - buzzing, clicking, mosquito, electronic feedback - however you want to describe it. They said that this is normal and the noise is from the high pressure fuel pump. I have noticed that mine is louder now that it's getting cold outside, but it also seems to quiet down on longer trips. (Most of my driving is very local stop and go around suburban Chicago.)

I find it annoying, and mentioned to the service rep that even though they feel it's normal, it is annoying and distracting from the otherwise amazingly quiet cabin experience in the car.

Thanks for chiming in with your dealers response.

Would be nice to get an explanation as to why its louder when its cold.

Its a significant difference once its below 35F. I forgot all about it until the temps dropped.

Would you mind sharing in my other thread what they did for the brake squeal?

Last edited:
I bet it*s a thing for all turbo models. Some are more sensitive to these things than others.

Here's some video from inside the cabin of my 2018 CX-9 Signature. Outside temps are at -8c (18F), and the engine hasn't reached operating temps yet. The audio system was muted, and my phone was resting on the dash, right behind the ADD projection screen (HUD). I revved the engine up to 3k while in Park. I also have the CorkSport intake installed.

I had to listen at full blast with earbuds, but I do hear the chirping that SavageGeese mentioned. That said, it's a consistent chirp that doesn't vary with engine speed, so it doesn't appear to be what you're hearing. It's true that some are more sensitive to these things than others. Is the noise you're hearing in your CX-5 present in my video?

It may also be possible that the difference in acoustics/sound deadening material between the CX-5 and the CX-9 plays a part.

I have a 2019 Reserve that has an annoying buzzing coming from the dashboard near the HUD. Its not a typical rattle that comes and goes depending on temperature, road conditions, music, etc. It consistently changes with engine speed. Its most noticeable around 1000-3000 RPM. Reminds me of a bad ground in a head unit or amplifier that results in hearing a noise that varies with RPM through the speakers.

I live off a dirt road, so if it was a typical rattle, I would hear it when the car is vibrating from the rough dirt road.

In the savage geese review of the Signature, he notes an annoying chirping at idle that he thought might be the high pressure fuel pump for the turbo. I dont notice it at idle, but definitely under moderate load. When coasting it almost disappears. As soon as you get back on the throttle, it returns.

Anyone with a 2019 Reserve or Signature experiencing this issue? My car has had this since it had 8 miles on it. I drove 2 Grand Tourings the same day and didnt notice the buzzing.

Dude, crank up the tunes! Life is too short to obsess over every buzz, whirr, click, rattle and hum that a modern vehicle exhibits.

If it werent for the NVH improvements in Gen 2, you might not even be able to hear them.

I believe that both of those noises are coming from the serpentine belt. To test it, while the engine is idling, trickle a small amount of warm water onto the belt and it will go silent for a few seconds until it dries out. The belt should quieten down when it gets hot and more supple.

I believe that both of those noises are coming from the serpentine belt. To test it, while the engine is idling, trickle a small amount of warm water onto the belt and it will go silent for a few seconds until it dries out. The belt should quieten down when it gets hot and more supple.

so just spray some hot water to the belt? i'll have to try this, this week and comeback with my findings..thanks!

Back