CX-5 Oil filter specs?

On ebay under,

OEM Genuine Mazda Skyactive 3, 6 CX-3 CX-5 Oil Filter PE01-14-302A-MV (12 pack) -they added the "e" not me, but they're still legit

Last edited:
On ebay under,

OEM Genuine Mazda Skyactive 3, 6 CX-3 CX-5 Oil Filter PE01-14-302A-MV (12 pack) -they added the "e" not me, but they're still legit
Thanks for the info.

158 sold on this 12-pack, that's 1,896 oil filters!

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned) for $2.92 each with free shipping definitely beats every after-market oil filter claimed to fit CX-5!

I wish I could get volume discount like this when I purchased 23 Japanese-made OEM oil filters a while ago.

Last edited:
No, OEM B6Y1-14-302A for Mazda2 has exactly the same size as those OEM oil filters used by SkyActiv-G engines like the Mazda notice said. Also remember many one-size-fit-all after-market oil filters such as Mobil 1 M1-108 / M1-108A were on the market for 2012~2013 Mazda2 even before SkyActiv-G came out. This makes me believe their specs don't meet the SA-G OEM filters which came out later.

Yrwei, for the love of god man. I love you, but I meant the internals. The filter for the Mazda 2 has different internals, that's what I meant by tiny. It's not up to the task of the Skyactiv motor. The Mobil1 M1-108A specs over on BITOG are right in line with what they should be.

For grins and giggles, can anybody find the efficiency rating of the OEM filters? (wiggle)

For grins and giggles, can anybody find the efficiency rating of the OEM filters? (wiggle)

No.

If it is true that the Wix filter is the only filter that meets OE specs (again, none cited) then it should be 95% at 29 microns by using data provided by Wix/O'Reilly. There was a good discussion where, yrwei51 and I went round and round, on this a while back which provides more information and some technical jargon. If you have time it's worth the read.

Thanks for sharing that thread. I don*t think I*ve ever stumbled on it!

I went out to the garage just to remind myself what my current oil change inventory is. What I actually have are a few Mobil 1 filters, a couple FRAM Ultras, and quite a few Bosch Premium 3300 filters for the CX-5. The Bosch 3300 claims 99% at 20 microns. Had to look up bypass settings on their website, listed at 14-18. The NAPA platinums are actually for my Odyssey. Man those were a good Amazon find.

Oh, and let*s not forget about the 50+ quarts of Mobil 1 and Pennzoil synthetic motor oil, lol!

Thanks for sharing that thread. I don*t think I*ve ever stumbled on it!

I went out to the garage just to remind myself what my current oil change inventory is. What I actually have are a few Mobil 1 filters, a couple FRAM Ultras, and quite a few Bosch Premium 3300 filters for the CX-5. The Bosch 3300 claims 99% at 20 microns. Had to look up bypass settings on their website, listed at 14-18. The NAPA platinums are actually for my Odyssey. Man those were a good Amazon find.

Oh, and let*s not forget about the 50+ quarts of Mobil 1 and Pennzoil synthetic motor oil, lol!
I almost forgot that long discussion with RepeatMazda until he mentioned it again. I believe all the after-market oil filters you have in your inventory are good for our CX-5 although I still don't think they're really the same on specs with OEM's based on the reasons I stated previously. The only thing I personally believe is after all of these years DIY on my vehicles, I always want to use OEM parts to avoid any possible incompatibilities which will waste my valuable time, and may be preventing any potential problems later on. I'd spend a little more on OEM oil filter, but I'd get cheaper after-market cabin filter instead. This's just my personal preference, and I don't disagree with your points in any way. All the discussions sometimes merely is just trying to stir up the atmosphere here. :)

If I don't have 20+ Japanese OEM oil filters in hand, I'd get that $2.92 Mexican OEM oil filter in a heartbeat!

I almost forgot that long discussion with RepeatMazda until he mentioned it again. I believe all the after-market oil filters you have in your inventory are good for our CX-5 although I still don't think they're really the same on specs with OEM's based on the reasons I stated previously. The only thing I personally believe is after all of these years DIY on my vehicles, I always want to use OEM parts to avoid any possible incompatibilities which will waste my valuable time, and may be preventing any potential problems later on. I'd spend a little more on OEM oil filter, but I'd get cheaper after-market cabin filter instead. This's just my personal preference, and I don't disagree with your points in any way. All the discussions sometimes merely is just trying to stir up the atmosphere here. :)

If I don't have 20+ Japanese OEM oil filters in hand, I'd get that $2.92 Mexican OEM oil filter in a heartbeat!

I am buying all that I can still find online.
That would be the PE01-14-302 , PE01-14-302A , and PE01-14-302B.

Any idea what your average cost per filter was on all the Japanese OEM oil filters you bought up a year or so ago ?
Also any idea on the differences or changes among those 3 filters above ? I have had or used all three in the past.

Last edited:
Honestly the aftermarket filters are always more expensive than the damn good quality OEMs. Maybe that's just here though.

I am buying all that I can still find online.
That would be the PE01-14-302 , PE01-14-302A , and PE01-14-302B.

Any idea what your average cost per filter was on all the Japanese OEM oil filters you bought up a year or so ago ?
Also any idea on the differences or changes among those 3 filters above ? I have had or used all three in the past.
PE01-14-302 and PE01-14-302B have never been available in the US although PE01-14-302B is factory installed oil filter starting from gen-2 CX-5 2.5L NA. When I learned that someone here ordered and got PE01-14-302A from our previous sponsor Med Center Mazda, I immediately called them directly to find out how many Japanese filters they still have. I cleared out all 21 Japanese oil filters they had at the time, paid $7.01 each with free shipping. That was Nov. 2nd, 2016.

Here's comparison table among 3 available OEM filters for 2.5L NA:

There're now 3 OEM Mazda SkyActiv oil filters:

OEM Mazda
SkyActiv Oil Filters
PE01-14-302AMade in Japan with the best quality.
Comes with greased O-ring type gasket、
shrink wrapped seal on top preventing dust、
and packaged in a sealed paper box.
1WPE-14-302Made in Thailand.
Smaller in outside diameter than PE01-14-302A.
Comes with greased O-ring type gasket、
shrink wrapped seal on top preventing dust、
and packaged in a non-sealed paper box.
PE01-14-302A-MVMade in Mexico.
Comes with non-greased flat gasket、
shrink wrapped seal on entire filter、
and no paper box.

Based on picture provided by madar, Mazda OEM value-line PE01-14-302A-MV oil filter does look different from Wix 57002. But I'd still get PE01-14-302A-MV OEM "value" filter if there's no other OEM choices! :)

We know now PE01-14-302A Japanese oil filter is made by Tokyo Roki, and 1WPE-14-302 Thai oil filter is made by Denso. It's hard to tell who makes PE01-14-302A-MV Mexican oil filter. Since it comes with different outer diameter from different batches, I suspect it's made by variety of vendors.

I bought and received several of all three (PE01-14-302 , PE01-14-302A , and PE01-14-302B) off of eBay last week and all were shipped from the U.S.
I agree that they are getting VERY hard to find in this country but they were and some are still here. Prices are going UP from the great deal you got too. Way to go !

Last edited:
I bought and received several of all three (PE01-14-302 , PE01-14-302A , and PE01-14-302B) off of eBay last week and all were shipped from the U.S.
I agree that they are getting VERY hard to find in this country but they were and some are still here. Prices are going UP from the great deal you got too. Way to go !
Didnt know we still can get PE01-14-302/A/B Tokyo Roki oil filters off the eBay. I said it wrong about PE01-14-302 and PE01-14-302B which have never been available in the US earlier. Original PE01-14-302 indeed was available from Mazda dealers in early days. B version is not thought when Mazda North American Operations had decided to import Thai Denso and Mexican Value oil filters. Those B version filters you found on the eBay definitely are from some people who brought them in from Japan.

Not much info about those OEM Tokyo Roki filters. But A version definitely carries some changes over its original version; and B version carries some changes over A version. Id prefer to get the latest B version for a little higher price.

probably old batch leftovers in ebay. not worth it.

I prefer to get the OEM Thailand one from online stores of any of the mazda dealers which give good discounts.
7.16 usd was the total price paid few weeks ago. for an oem that is a good price to me.

btw, First thing I was asked when there was some warranty work to be done/authorized on my cx5 was to show what oil filter I've used (I change the oil on my own).

I prefer to get the OEM Thailand one from online stores of any of the mazda dealers which give good discounts.
7.16 usd was the total price paid few weeks ago. for an oem that is a good price to me.

btw, First thing I was asked when there was some warranty work to be done/authorized on my cx5 was to show what oil filter I've used (I change the oil on my own).

Guess they all can be considered old stock since theyre gonna sit on the garage shelves for years and years before being used anyways.

12 MV filters +15qts Penn Platinum = 12 Thailand filters roughly. 3 free oil changes, sweet. Totally worth it.

Lucky for those of us using and selling MV filters, including dealerships, theyre authorized by Mazda, so warranty work will no doubt be covered.

Really just a matter of buy it if you want it, $7 Is cheap for a filter anyways, but <$3 was too good to pass up on a product backed by Mazda as OEM that does the job just as well as it was intended.

Came to conclusion that OEM made in Mexico one was repackaged Wix 57002...wrong. Confirmed after holding and inspecting them side by side. Different size can and internals looked different.

PE01-14-302B is not old batch leftovers. Its installed from factory on every new CX-5 with 2.5L NA since 2017 MY. And it seems only available in Japan.

Actually there's a newer PE01-14-302B oil filter in Japan used in 2017 CX-5. Not sure if this revised "B" version Japanese made oil filter would be available in the US?

attachment.php

View attachment 216907

Came to conclusion that OEM made in Mexico one was repackaged Wix 57002...wrong. Confirmed after holding and inspecting them side by side. Different size can and internals looked different.
Yes, theyre different and said in the foot-note of the filter comparison table posted above.

Yes it is worth it for those that are in the know on the Mazda line of OEM filters. Japan>Thailand>Mexico.

Correct. They are NOT the same.

Back