27000 miles service and my dealer recommended these things to be done.

Kaps

Contributor
:
CX-5 Touring 2016.5
On my 4th service - I have been to 3 different dealerships and they're all bad.
My dealer gave me a $700 estimate for:
Coolant flush
Brake fluid service
Cabin air filter- which has been on car for 5k miles only.
Alignment
Oil change for which I paid and left.

I declined the other things.

I don't trust this dealer and have seen dirty air filter that they keep under their desks and show it to customers getting a $45 air filter change.
Are these things needed so soon?

Another question:
I am feeling my vehicle a bit sluggish since I had Mazda moly before but now got their standard synthetic. Fuel efficiency seems low too. I can get 6 quarts of Mobil 1 for 28 bucks at a Sam's club - is it going to be better than dealers synthetic???? It will cost me same as dealer charges 59 for his oil change but $35 if you bring own oil. Thoughts on Mobil 1?
Mazda ownership is proving to be a total s*** show not that the Toyota dealers are any better. I am contemplating getting my own oil and filter and going to an independent.

Best way to know what you need at certain mileage is to check owner's manual. That's the bible, not whatever dealer preaches...

Coolant flush? Ridiculous considering it calls for 10 year/120k mile on it!

I thought about grabbing some Mazda Moly...or perhaps that Idemitsu oil and seeing if I feel it to be any different from the Castrol I have been using.

My schedule.
oil change: every 5K
cabin filter: every 10K (DIY: $10 each in 1 minute)
transmission fluid: every 30k (optional)
transfer case fluid: 45K (optional for AWD)
Others: when needed
Tires: every 40K or so.
Wipers: when it shows streaks

Told you before you need to try my dealer - Town North Mazda at Richardson.

My schedule.
oil change: every 5K
cabin filter: every 10K (DIY: $10 each in 1 minute)
transmission fluid: every 30k (optional)
transfer case fluid: 45K (optional for AWD)
Others: when needed
Tires: every 40K or so.
Wipers: when it shows streaks

Is it really that easy? My Infiniti was a nightmare to change cabin filter on.

Coolant flush
Brake fluid service
Alignment

I don't trust this dealer and have seen dirty air filter that they keep under their desks and show it to customers getting a $45 air filter change.

Another question:
I am feeling my vehicle a bit sluggish since I had Mazda moly before but now got their standard synthetic. Fuel efficiency seems low too. I can get 6 quarts of Mobil 1 for 28 bucks at a Sam's club - is it going to be better than dealers synthetic???? It will cost me same as dealer charges 59 for his oil change but $35 if you bring own oil. Thoughts on Mobil 1?
Mazda ownership is proving to be a total s*** show not that the Toyota dealers are any better. I am contemplating getting my own oil and filter and going to an independent.

That is ridiculous. I don't think I paid more than $200 for any service (except when I got tires) until >$100K miles. I think Mazda's biggest problem is their dealers - some of which are crooks.

Coolant flush
Brake fluid service
Alignment

Another question:

They keep dirty air filters around in order to rip people off? I'd have a VERY hard time not calling someone out on that bulls***!

Sounds like you've got some bad dealers around you. I'd try an independent mechanic, bring your own oil, filter and crush washer. A good independent can be just as hard to find though.

Mobil 1 is working just fine in mine, havent heard any complaints from the car yet. I use Advanced Fuel economy and Extended Performance, whichever is cheaper at the time. Blackstone UOAs are available in the oil analysis stickied thread and its holding up very well in others cars. Its a better oil than what my dealer offers as a standard synthetic change (Valvoline Synpower).

I cant believe they recommended a coolant flush that early. Crooked as hell. Brake fluid could be done at your mileage, but 3 years 36k would be fine to do it at too. Fluid costs less than $10 and fairly easy to do on your own too. As others have stated, cabin air filters are $10 and easy to change (right behind glove box).

I can also recommend the AEM Dryflow air filter. Synthetic media that does not require oiling. Lifetime filter that is washable. Ive washed mine once after 30k with their cleaning fluid available on Amazon. More expensive than paper filters for sure, but Ill come out ahead if I keep my CX-5 for a long time.

Ok. So I think I will go the Mobil 1 + Independent mechanic route. Town North is an hour and 10 minutes easily. I have a 4 month old and 5 year old and already a hectic schedule. All dealers Toyota / Mazda I have been to are awful. Just trying to push unnecessary service. My most blissful car ownership was owning a Scion and going to a GMC dealer 2 minutes from my house. I think I need to go back to Scion.

They keep dirty air filters around in order to rip people off? I'd have a VERY hard time not calling someone out on that bulls***!
I told him I changed mine 4k miles ago then he immediately said ok then you don't need it and ran off. I doubt an air filter can get that bad in 4k miles. 20-25k miles is my expectation.

I told him I changed mine 4k miles ago then he immediately said ok then you don't need it and ran off. I doubt an air filter can get that bad in 4k miles. 20-25k miles is my expectation.
You'd be correct in thinking that. Shady dealer.

Mobil 1 is working just fine in mine, haven*t heard any complaints from the car yet. I use Advanced Fuel economy and Extended Performance, whichever is cheaper at the time. Blackstone UOA*s are available in the oil analysis stickied thread and it*s holding up very well in others cars. It*s a better oil than what my dealer offers as a standard synthetic change (Valvoline Synpower).

I can*t believe they recommended a coolant flush that early. Crooked as hell. Brake fluid could be done at your mileage, but 3 years 36k would be fine to do it at too. Fluid costs less than $10 and fairly easy to do on your own too. As others have stated, cabin air filters are $10 and easy to change (right behind glove box).

I can also recommend the AEM Dryflow air filter. Synthetic media that does not require oiling. Lifetime filter that is washable. I*ve washed mine once after 30k with their cleaning fluid available on Amazon. More expensive than paper filters for sure, but I*ll come out ahead if I keep my CX-5 for a long time.

My dealer tests fluid and recommends flush at 2%+ moisture. That is the only responsible way to suggest it at his mileage/timeframe, imo.

Ok. So I think I will go the Mobil 1 + Independent mechanic route. Town North is an hour and 10 minutes easily. I have a 4 month old and 5 year old and already a hectic schedule. All dealers Toyota / Mazda I have been to are awful. Just trying to push unnecessary service. My most blissful car ownership was owning a Scion and going to a GMC dealer 2 minutes from my house. I think I need to go back to Scion.
Unfortunately youre not going to find Scion, theyre gone forever.

Lewisville to Richardson cant be that far! 30~40 minutes tops via I-35E、I-635、and 75. Make an appointment in advance and try to do it on Saturday if the weekend is more convenient for you.

Id try to stick with a Mazda dealer until the new car warranty expires. Know your maintenance schedule from owners manual, and do items only recommended by the book.

Yeah, a good independent mechanic is hard to find too.

Back