Live 2019 Mazda 3 Reveal

Man, if I'd known the 19 would still have the 2.5L (with available AWD!) I might have waited. Figured I would have been stuck being a guinea pig on the new 2.0 X motor.

I got a good deal though, so it doesn't sting too much...

The 3 will be on my shortlist - but mostly will fail due to not having a 2nd row for 2 car seats. As a DD - it was already a king but the new might just push it to the Emperor status.
Don't count it out just yet. I found one video report from the la show that said it has an inch longer wheelbase and the same overall length as the CX-5! Looks like they finally got the message about lack of rear seat legroom and cargo capacity on the outgoing model.

The 3 will be on my shortlist - but mostly will fail due to not having a 2nd row for 2 car seats. As a DD - it was already a king but the new might just push it to the Emperor status.

We have two car seats in our 3... granted, we're also short lol

Don't count it out just yet. I found one video report from the la show that said it has an inch longer wheelbase and the same overall length as the CX-5! Looks like they finally got the message about lack of rear seat legroom and cargo capacity on the outgoing model.

I thought the new 3 had the front hood a tad shorter - so maybe more room inside? I am all for keeping my demands modest and hence we are not even looking for a 3 row.

Here is a very good post I stole from Jalopnik about people complaining where Mazda is headed. Might rub some people wrong though I think the current Mz3 can steal Si buyers as it is:

Didn*t you get the same memo from Mazda that the rest of us did several years back? They told us that they are no longer going after the Boy Racer crowd.

They are targeting upscale customers with higher quality products that drive as good as they look, and are staying as far away from the Street Racing Cred buyers like yourself.

They get higher purchase prices, and lower warranty repairs over the warranty period with the more upscale owner group, so hence why they don*t care to steal sales from the Civic Si or Civic Turbo buyers.

I don't think Mazda has a 6-speed manual tranny that can handle 310 lb-ft of torque. At least none that I know of. Which is probably why they don't sell a Mazdaspeed car right now (other than their excuse for them being juvenile cars).

This. No way the 6 speed manual will be made available with the 2.5T.

And also, everyone should forget about a Mazdaspeed. It is not going to happen. That is not the market Mazda wants to go to. Lovers of fast and furious should look for a nice used 1987 camaro.

Last edited:
This. No way the 6 speed will be made available with the 2.5T.

And also, everyone should forgot about a Mazdaspeed. It is not going to happen. That is not the market Mazda wants to go to. Lovers of fast and furious should look for a nice used 1987 camaro.

They do have it.
We get the Mazda 6 2.2 Diesel (184hp and 445 nm/328 lb-ft of torque) with a manual transmission, so they could do it, though I wouldn't count on it.

This. No way the 6 speed will be made available with the 2.5T.

And also, everyone should forgot about a Mazdaspeed. It is not going to happen. That is not the market Mazda wants to go to. Lovers of fast and furious should look for a nice used 1987 camaro.

I'm confused. Doesn't the 2.5T use the 6-speed auto on the CX-9, 6, and now CX-5?

Or are we talking manuals??? Guess I'm missing something.

Lovers of fast and furious should look for a nice used 1987 camaro.

Lmao, that POS?! It has less hp than the new CX-5, and runs about the same 0-60. We kickin* it back that far, I*m scooping up a Starion/Conquest esi-R/TSi...

The Diesel is not an issue. The latest version now produces about the same power as the 2.5G petrol and with 450Nm of torque. It's even the default and only engine choice in the new CX-8.

Still disappointed with the non-debut of the Skyactiv-X as yet.

Anyone else notice the updated commander knob and that surrounding area? Im guessing its not the fabled Mazda Connect 2 or they wouldve made a bigger deal about it. I cant find anything right now till they reveal some more info.

Anyone else notice the updated commander knob and that surrounding area? Im guessing its not the fabled Mazda Connect 2 or they wouldve made a bigger deal about it. I cant find anything right now till they reveal some more info.
They certain did say it's a new Mazda Connect that it simpler. This was rumored to be a 3 debut. Hopefully it's a firmware we can get.

And also, everyone should forget about a Mazdaspeed. It is not going to happen. That is not the market Mazda wants to go to. Lovers of fast and furious should look for a nice used 1987 camaro.
It doesn't have to be a Mazdaspeed, it can be a Signature model trim with performance to back it up. Also, sir, I don't think I ever remember seeing a Camaro in a Fast and Furious movie. SRT Chargers on the other hand, yes I would very much consider one if I didn't care about MPGs :)

They do have it.
We get the Mazda 6 2.2 Diesel (184hp and 445 nm/328 lb-ft of torque) with a manual transmission, so they could do it, though I wouldn't count on it.

That is good to know. Maybe there is hope yet for a manual paired to the 2.5T engine.

And the diesel is still listed on their "upcoming vehicles" on their website, ROFL.

Yeah its like 4 new engines minus the 2.0 gas.

Hatchback rear does look off but I can live with that. Wonder how much a Mazda3 Hatch 2.5 Touring AWD Manual would cost? Subaru watch out.

It doesn't have to be a Mazdaspeed, it can be a Signature model trim with performance to back it up. Also, sir, I don't think I ever remember seeing a Camaro in a Fast and Furious movie. SRT Chargers on the other hand, yes I would very much consider one if I didn't care about MPGs :)

That is good to know. Maybe there is hope yet for a manual paired to the 2.5T engine.

Thanks for saying what I was too lazy to..87 Camaro huh?? But fully agree and want to see a juiced up 3- like you said doesn't have to be a full on performance product but I would like to see some specific(sportier) tune to both engine and suspension..but speaking of lazy- that turbo 6 to me exemplifies a lazy effort and to some degree the cx-5 too. I'd like to see turbo model specific things like paddles(6 has them I know but why not cx-5?), more aggressive seats, suspension, steering, tires and braking(how bout some vented rears for goodness sake)- nothing over the top crazy- even make some optional pkg but as they walk up this "premium" ladder w/pricing to match this one size fits all approach may prove less fruitful than hoped. These turbos are crying for some added performance/sport pkg kit imo. Mods aren't for everyone- @36-38k they should be good, very good straight out the box and suit different buyers needs better than current.

Last edited:
I think I like the sedan better as well. Will need to see a HB in person.

Oh- CX3 uses torsion beam for rear end too I believe. Havent heard any complaints about the handling/performance.

Why does it have to be a Signature trim? Give me speed at Sport and Touring levels too...why not?

Why does it have to be a Signature trim? Give me speed at Sport and Touring levels too...why not?
That's a good question, it doesn't have to be that way. It just seems that Mazda is only making the turbo engine available on the top trims, which is why I was thinking Signature trim. Actually the Mazdaspeed3, if looked at just another trim in the Mazda3 lineup, wasn't even the top trim. It was a Mazda3 Touring with a turbo engine. So yeah, I would also like to see Mazda make performance available on lower trims.

If I recall correctly you could get a previous/current Touring model with 2.5 and manual.

That said on Youtube, a lot of Civic owners seen the reveal with specs and commented regretting getting a Civic. Its 1.5 CVT was ehh. Civic styling over the top based on their comments.

Back