US Diesel's big splash introduction

Well, there's the guinea pig issue. Also I'm hoping eventually they release a 2.5L version as the 2.0L is roughly the same (slightly less) power to the outgoing 2.5L 'G'...and if anything, I want more power (and hopefully AWD).

But that's not likely to be for a couple years and I needed a new car sooner than that.

Plus I got a smoking deal and 0% over 60 that I wasn't going to remotely see on the new 'guinea pig' model ;)
If they are going to release a 2.5 version, they are doing very well keeping it under wraps

omfg dude now we're bitching about a 2 gallon jug o piss every 10k or so for the whopping cost of $12? Get bent (w/all due respect)

At the rumored 190/310 its def(see what I did there) an engine 'upgrade', and upgrades typically cost more, yes
Typical consumption seems to be around a quart of AdBlue for every 600 miles but could be as high as a quart for every 350 miles. Your consumption estimate of AdBlue seems a little too low. ;)

Such a shame it's slower and only gets a few mpg more, if that, and takes fuel that in many areas is significantly more expensive, and has turbos vs. no turbos to go bad, and costs more to begin with, and...wtf would you buy it?

Slower? Really? How much? How do you know? Oh right you don't..only few mpg more..maybe we'll see seems fishy- but you don't know that either. More complex and more expensive, yes. Worth it? I don't know yet...on paper with the limited details we have it wouldn't appear so but I'm reserving judgement.

Last edited:
Typical consumption seems to be around a quart of AdBlue for every 600 miles but could be as high as a quart for every 350 miles. Your consumption estimate of AdBlue seems a little too low. ;)

Guilty as charged- I used Mercedes GLK def numbers as it was what could find..ok so instead of $12 figure $24-$30 every 10k guys my bad but again not really a known at this point...my point was DEF cost is minimal and really shouldn't factor in imo. Upfront cost sure, fuel cost/availability maybe but that will almost certainly be wiped out by real world FE gains...

Last edited:
Slower? Really? How much? How do you know? Oh right you don't..only few mpg more..maybe we'll see seems fishy- but you don't know that either. More complex and more expensive, yes. Worth it? I don't know yet...on paper with the limited details we have it wouldn't appear so but I'm reserving judgement.
Here *
I'm afraid the 0-60 figures will be in the 9's, Mazda claim 9.5 sec to 60mph for the 2017 model which weights 1754kg for my model.

Disqualified for irrelevance..we don't know what the output of the US model will be but it was rumored at 190/310+..we shall mf see

If they are going to release a 2.5 version, they are doing very well keeping it under wraps

*Eventually. I seem to recall some engineering talk about how their engine production is very flexible to switching between the two sizes of motor depending on demand. IIRC, they share basically the same block and the head is the main difference. I'd imagine the same will apply to the X motors.

They have larger vehicles (the CX5 CX9 and 6 for example) that will demand it, particularly in higher trims.

I'd imagine it will become the 'upgrade' gas motor in the CX5 and 6 and the 'base' motor in the CX9.

And if my hope comes true, being the new 3 will have been out for a couple years by the time those cars get new models with the 2.5L, I'd hope the 3 also gets it, perhaps even in a performance variant. (Though I'd be even happier with a CX5 or 6 wagon with a stick becoming available as well).

There was also talk of them having AWD available in the next gen 3 and 6 as well FYI.

*Eventually. I seem to recall some engineering talk about how their engine production is very flexible to switching between the two sizes of motor depending on demand. IIRC, they share basically the same block and the head is the main difference. I'd imagine the same will apply to the X motors.

They have larger vehicles (the CX5 CX9 and 6 for example) that will demand it, particularly in higher trims.

I'd imagine it will become the 'upgrade' gas motor in the CX5 and 6 and the 'base' motor in the CX9.

And if my hope comes true, being the new 3 will have been out for a couple years by the time those cars get new models with the 2.5L, I'd hope the 3 also gets it, perhaps even in a performance variant. (Though I'd be even happier with a CX5 or 6 wagon with a stick becoming available as well).

There was also talk of them having AWD available in the next gen 3 and 6 as well FYI.

Autogefhl mentioned it

My dealer was pretty open with discussions on the 2019 Mazda 3. He mentioned the 2.5 as the base engine with the new 2.0 in the top trim. The new 2.0 will have more power (his words) than the 2.5 engine and get better mileage. No mention at all of the 2.5 Sky-X and no mention of the 2.5T in the Mazda 3.

My dealer was pretty open with discussions on the 2019 Mazda 3. He mentioned the 2.5 as the base engine with the new 2.0 in the top trim. The new 2.0 will have more power (his words) than the 2.5 engine and get better mileage. No mention at all of the 2.5 Sky-X and no mention of the 2.5T in the Mazda 3.

Afraid they are wrong regarding power and torque figures:

fy254y.jpg

Source: Car And Driver: Driving Mazda's Next Mazda 3 with Its Skyactiv-X Compression-Ignition Gas Engine

Current 2.5L figures: 140KW (187.74HP) / 252NM (185.86FTLBS)

(iagree) fuel economy should be better with the SkyActiv-X 2.0L

Been awhile since I posted on here, had to make a new profile after forgetting my old one haha

The 2.0L Skyactiv-X is around the same ballpark as the Skyactiv-G 2.5L but from an interview with Robert Davis of Mazda from Autoline after hours, the skyactiv-X engine is scalable (he essentially said look at the Skyactiv-G lineup to get a sense of what the Skyactiv-X engines will be). If that's the case then a skyactiv-X should be in the ball park of 220-230 hp and around 210 lb-ft of torque.

As for the 2.5T, it drops directly into any car that fits the naturally-aspirated 2.5L so that means 3, 6, CX-5 and CX-9. At this point, the diesel is kinda pointless especially after Mazda just filed the 2019 CX-5 w/ the 2.5T alongside the 2019 CX-9. They've gotta be trying to recoup development costs for the 2.5T by putting it in anywhere its fits.

Thing is.. will they turn up the wick to get more power and torque (uhm)

Anyrate, the North American (NO) CX-5 diesel should have good figures provided Mazda NO hasn't stuffed things up judging by the fuel economy figures just released

Thing is.. will they turn up the wick to get more power and torque (uhm)

Anyrate, the North American (NO) CX-5 diesel should have good figures provided Mazda NO hasn't stuffed things up judging by the fuel economy figures just released

They might be going back to the drawing board because they know noone would buy a CX5D at this rate and might be revising the engine. Get ready to wait longer, lol

They might be going back to the drawing board because they know noone would buy a CX5D at this rate and might be revising the engine. Get ready to wait longer, lol

Yep, hell if they were really smart, they'd just go ahead and pull the plug completely. Should've, would've, could've...

I mean, a lot of people were wanting the diesel for the fuel economy and if that's no better than the gas, then yeah, I agree, what's the point. I suppose if you are hauling regularly, but outside that, seems to loose it's charm at a higher price.

Yep, hell if they were really smart, they'd just go ahead and pull the plug completely. Should've, would've, could've...
Agreed. Unless Mazda engineers can find the culprit of screw-ups during their EPA fuel economy test and fix it very soon.

GUYS!! Let me ask you question..have any of you driven a 200hp 4cylinder diesel putting down 369lb-ft in a small AWD SUV returning low 30s on the road? No, right? Exactly. Go find/drive a used 4400# GLK250 4matic and tell me you don't love the powertrain, and you wouldn't like to have it in your CX-5...I dare you. Yes the output is higher than what we'll see in the 5er but so was the weight of that porker..8.1 to 60 but it felt a hell of lot stronger than that. Don't take my word for it...do it and report back so you can actually make informed/meaningful comments...great thanks

Last edited:
GUYS!! Let me ask you question..have any of you driven a 200hp 4cylinder diesel putting down 369lb-ft in a small AWD SUV returning low 30s on the road? No, right? Exactly. Go find/drive a used 4400# GLK250 4matic and tell me you don't love the powertrain, and you wouldn't like to have it in your CX-5...I dare you. Yes the output is higher than what we'll see in the 5er but so was the weight of that porker..8.1 to 60 but it felt a hell of lot stronger than that. Don't take my word for it...do it and report back.
Where did you get these 200 hp / 369 lb-ft figures for Mazda's 2.2L SkyActiv-D diesel? Even the latest high-output version 2.2L SA-D in Australia doesn't have such high numbers.

Where did you get these 200 hp / 369 lb-ft figures for Mazda's 2.2L SkyActiv-D diesel? Even the latest high-output version 2.2L SA-D in Australia doesn't have such high numbers.

If you actually read my comment and you're idk 2nd grade literate I think you'll see pretty clearly what I was referencing..and yeah I expect Mazda's 2.2 SA-D to feel similarly stout in the significantly lighter bodied CX-5.

Last edited:
Back