charging battery in CX-5

:
CX-5 AWD, 2017
Is it possible to charge the car battery in CX-5 with an intelligent charger like the C-Tek or is that a big no no? With winter approaching I would like to keep the battery well charged. It was ok to do so in BMW in-spite of the battery management system and auto start stop in the car.

Is it possible to charge the car battery in CX-5 with an intelligent charger like the C-Tek or is that a big no no? With winter approaching I would like to keep the battery well charged. It was ok to do so in BMW in-spite of the battery management system and auto start stop in the car.
I do this all the time, never a problem. I'm surprised that there is no battery management in this car, given all the advancements with powertrain. The regulator just spits out around 14V regardless of the battery state or ambient temperature. Intelligent charger will serve you well. Check electrolyte level once in a while.

Harbor Freight used to sell an intelligent charger that they call a 'battery maintainer'. A friend used one on his Harley and he claimed it worked well. Check at the Harbor Freight website.

Harbor Freight used to sell an intelligent charger that they call a 'battery maintainer'. A friend used one on his Harley and he claimed it worked well. Check at the Harbor Freight website.
But OP may have a hard time to find Harbor Freight Tools in Sweden ⋯ ;)

Do you disconnect the battery from the car before charging or just connect the poles and charge with the battery still connected to the car (battery in situ)? I have a C-TEK model of battery charger and that is what I have used successfully in my other cars before.

Do you disconnect the battery from the car before charging or just connect the poles and charge with the battery still connected to the car (battery in situ)? I have a C-TEK model of battery charger and that is what I have used successfully in my other cars before.
No, you dont need to disconnect battery to charge it. But to be safe, always read the instructions from your battery charger. :)

I have leads attached directly to the battery posts. They are fused and go outside from under the hood, where the back of the hood meets left wiper arm. Leads are terminated by a waterproof socket. I connect my NOCO charger to it every Friday overnight, and I don't have to open the hood. I'm thinking about adding 10-15A diode in sequence, for added protection too.

Thank you all for your reply. I'll use the charger as I have always done in my other cars then.

Is this something different from say a jump starter?

I just had to jump start mine again last night. One of these days I'll figure out how to stop leaving the dome lights on.

I have a tendency to turn it on before I open the door to grab stuff in the back, then open the door and forget to flip it back off.

I figured that was going to be your answer. Just try cracking the door first... I bet after a few instances it'll become force of habit...

(drinks)

Back