Spied: 2017 Mazda CX-9

Well sorry to confirm guys, the AC is not as cold as the old CX-9, got a chance to test drive a brand new CX-9 from Wantagh Mazda in New York. Weather has been a heat wave and humid as hell (92 + deg F) for the last three days here in NY, it took a very loooooooong time to cool down the interior and even then it was still not cool enough, I think this is how it is due to the smaller engine, not a low charge refrigerant issue.
So this's the design issue by putting in smaller capacity BTU's of AC unit for new CX-9! It may be inevitable for the new 2.5L turbo 4. There's no replacement for displacement. When turbo is not spooling up at low rpm below 2,000, the engine is a 2.5L 4 cylinder with minimum torque available. Mazda simply may not be able to use bigger AC compressor like the one used for 3.7L V6, which would drain too much power in that rpm range. A variable capacity AC compressor, or "inverter" AC compressor should solve the issue but it's too expensive to use it.

This is interesting. Yes, I'm in New England and we don't have the heat that a lot of the rest of the country has. It has been hot and humid here, in the 90's and I didn't think the A/C had a problem. Of course I'm coming from my 06 Mazda6 which I thought had a wimpy A/C system....

It's only natural that a system that draws engine power (AC) would suffer with lower displacement. If you've driven an econobox, you know how much power is lost just from running the AC so there is a big correlation.

I just read some online consumer reviews of the new Volvo XC-90. Also being a 4-banger only in a similar package had me curious. Haven't seen any comments concerning AC strength accept from a number of people saying the system failed completely in as little as a week after purchase. No cold air.
There are a ton of buyer complaints about the vehicle that contrast the generally rave reviews it has gotten in the press. The vehicle is filled with tech bugs and Volvo's service department is ill prepared to deal will the issues yet.

So the CX-9 is looking pretty good so far.

Mazda going back to traditionally somewhat bad HVAC? All my old mazda's that were built in Japan had very poor heat and a/c. I recall once I even got one of the protege's to snow inside;) My current cx9 is about the best one we've had in terms of HVAC.

My take on AC in 2016 CX-9. I had an 07 CX-9 Sport until last week when I upgraded to the 2016 CX-9 GT. So I went from a 3.5 V6 NA to an I-4 high pressure Turbo. I live in the WNY area and it was really hot last week but I really didn't notice a big difference on the AC cool down time. I wasn't really watching for it either. I do remember turning the blower down at one point cause it was feeling to cold. I suppose it does make sense that an engine with more output should handle the AC load better but the new vehicles are also more refined tech wise and I only notice a loss of 1 mpg or so when I turn on the AC in the 2016 CX-9 vs the 07 which lost a bit more on mpg with the ac on. So I'm thinking it may be more to do with other factors like actual temp/humidity or a darker colored interior or even a darker color exterior. Anyway just my 2 cents.

Without details of the AC system design, this entire thread has devolved into pointless speculation. There could be any number of reasons for the A/C system to be less effective:
1. Different (less efficient) refrigerant
2. Smaller sizing (less BTU) to reduce MPG loss
3. Smaller condenser to reduce drag (MPG again)
4. Smaller everything to save weight

The idea that a 2.5 liter engine can't handle the load of an AC system is ridiculous. A car A/C system consumes at most about 6 horsepower. Even at idle, the engine can cover that. Having said that, the lack of A/C performance really does appear to stand out:

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2016/06/2016-mazda-cx9-signature-review-canada-test-drive.html

When a review calls the A/C "dreadful" that's a red flag.

Last edited:
looks like not getting the first year of a recent model change continues to be true with all these things coming up. enough complaints and as big of a factor social media is these days, i bet next year mazda fixes all these complaints as they shouldve already been addressed in this year being as they are basic stuff that should already be assumed to be working well or part of a car that cost X amount.

looks like not getting the first year of a recent model change continues to be true with all these things coming up. enough complaints and as big of a factor social media is these days, i bet next year mazda fixes all these complaints as they shouldve already been addressed in this year being as they are basic stuff that should already be assumed to be working well or part of a car that cost X amount.

Thing is, historically automakers rarely add that many new features in the 2nd model year. Usually it's just the known bugs that are worked out. There's been a lot of posts by people thinking that Mazda will add seat adjustments, ventilated seats, rare heated seats, and other things as early as next year. Not going to happen. The most you'll see for 2017 is bringing the heated wheel to the US because it already exists and Android auto/Apple Carplay. The AC could be retooled if it is an issue. Don't expect any other new features until 2018.

Thing is, historically automakers rarely add that many new features in the 2nd model year. Usually it's just the known bugs that are worked out. There's been a lot of posts by people thinking that Mazda will add seat adjustments, ventilated seats, rare heated seats, and other things as early as next year. Not going to happen. The most you'll see for 2017 is bringing the heated wheel to the US because it already exists and Android auto/Apple Carplay. The AC could be retooled if it is an issue. Don't expect any other new features until 2018.

Absolutely correct. Automakers buy in very high volumes to keep costs down and buy on contract with vendors for like 3 years into the future.

You won’t see any major changes until the next refresh in 3 years from now in 2019. Unless it’s a safety issue or major equipment failure,
there won’t be any significant changes in 2017. In fact, most 2017 models are built in late 2016 probably with parts from the 2016 stock.

Agree with JPL, in 2017 you’ll probably see heated steering wheel, Apple, and Android, but that’s about it.

No way you’ll see major human creature comforts like a new stronger AC unit or seat pan tilt or ventilated seats.
I mean just look at the 2007-2015 AWD transfer cases !! Mazda knew they were failing left and right and didn’t change a damn thing.
They just rolled the dice and extended warranty to 90,000 miles.

personally i don't consider the A/C "dreadful". it takes longer cool down than my old CX-9 for sure. but it eventually gets the cabin temp to where i want it. For those who need instant refrigeration in their car, i suppose it could be a deal-breaker....but to call it dreadful sounds like a bit of hyperbole meant to get people to read their reviews.

personally i don't consider the A/C "dreadful". it takes longer cool down than my old CX-9 for sure. but it eventually gets the cabin temp to where i want it. For those who need instant refrigeration in their car, i suppose it could be a deal-breaker....but to call it dreadful sounds like a bit of hyperbole meant to get people to read their reviews.

It depends on one's perspective.

It may not be as "dreadful" to folks who live up North, but to us folks down here in the South, AC performance is a necessity. With temps consistently hovering in the mid-90s and feeling like it's well into the 100s *every* summer for the majority of the summer, every second that it takes the AC to cool the interior will feel like an eternity. Window tinting is a necessary aftermarket addition in Florida just to help the AC cool down that much faster and to keep the interior cooler longer. I, for one, can tolerate a longer cool down, but to folks with little kids that have to bear the heat and the requisite complaints/whining that passengers will throw, it will feel unbearable.

Anemic AC performance is not like a missing seat adjustment. Everyone feels discomfort if the AC does not perform well.

Last edited:
Especially when the review was conducted in CANADA!!!

The reviewer on Test Driven TV who conducts reviews in Arizona said the AC was good, although not "great". He said it was better than some vehicles, less so than others. It was over 100 thoughout.

This Canadian reviewer did point out that it could of just been his tester.

My take on AC in 2016 CX-9. I had an 07 CX-9 Sport until last week when I upgraded to the 2016 CX-9 GT. So I went from a 3.5 V6 NA to an I-4 high pressure Turbo. I live in the WNY area and it was really hot last week but I really didn't notice a big difference on the AC cool down time. I wasn't really watching for it either. I do remember turning the blower down at one point cause it was feeling to cold. I suppose it does make sense that an engine with more output should handle the AC load better but the new vehicles are also more refined tech wise and I only notice a loss of 1 mpg or so when I turn on the AC in the 2016 CX-9 vs the 07 which lost a bit more on mpg with the ac on. So I'm thinking it may be more to do with other factors like actual temp/humidity or a darker colored interior or even a darker color exterior. Anyway just my 2 cents.

I agree. I believe we must feel poor AC performance in hotter areas based on region/location. I had the CX-9 Sport 2011 and remember very well the amazing ammount of cool aire the vents blow out. There is a difference, for sure.

But is not an issue for me, because here where I live we don't experience extreme temps. Anyway, I just tinted my windows to the max, so I'm "cool" now!

cx9_2016_gt_turbo.jpg

I agree here as well. I really love cold temps and I don't have major issues with temp with the new cx9. It's different compared with the old model? yes... but I'm getting huge savings in MPG as well, so I'm happy!

I believe a new refrigerant is being used in the 2017 CX-9 in place of the R134a refrigerant. The new refrigerant is R-1234yf from what I have been able to find on line. Just like when the Freon 12 was replaced with R134a YEARS ago, there were many complaints about cars and trucks not being as cool with the new refrigerant.

Could this be the same thing with R-1234yf replacing R1324a?

I believe a new refrigerant is being used in the 2017 CX-9 in place of the R134a refrigerant. The new refrigerant is R-1234yf from what I have been able to find on line. Just like when the Freon 12 was replaced with R134a YEARS ago, there were many complaints about cars and trucks not being as cool with the new refrigerant.

ah, good point ! this might be a factor, according to this link, it's not as efficient as R134a

http://www.aa1car.com/library/hfo-1234yf.htm

the stuff is expensive !! The current price as of July 2016 is around $660 to $675 for a 10 lb. container, which is $66 to $67 per pound! Ouch! This compares to a current retail price of around $5 for a small can of R-134a.

List of cars that use R-1234yf :

https://macsworldwide.wordpress.com/2014/09/19/an-r-1234yf-update/

Nope, car uses r-134a. Manual and underhood sticker say r-134a.

Car & Driver's full review has come out:
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/2016-mazda-cx-9-awd-test-review

comments are interesting, plus i really like their comparison "Spider web" chart.

Thanks for sharing.

First review where I see the 0-60 times for the new CX9 Turbo.

zero to 60mph in 7.2 is not bad.

But I don't know if this info is trust-able because they say the Pilot do 0-60 in 6 seconds and the 0-60 video in Youtube for Pilot is 7.99 secs...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPeCjfHsidQ

Back