Spied: 2017 Mazda CX-9

Canadian Pricing for new CX-9 - Coming to dealers in June

Pricing in Canada has been announced. New CX-9 to be on lots in June.

http://www.auto123.com/en/news/2016-mazda-cx9-pricing-announced/62053/

https://ceo.ca/@newswire/pricing-announced-for-all-new-mazda-cx-9-with-skyactiv-technology

All 2016 Mazda CX-9 models come standard with auto-levelling LED headlights, 18” alloy wheels, push-button start, Mazda Connect with 7” display, heated front seats, 3-zone automatic climate control, and more. More specifically, they are:

GS starting at $35,300, with the above-mentioned items and other key features including an 8-way power adjustable driver's seat with lumbar support, Bluetooth with Audio Profile, and cruise control (the only option is i-ACTIV AWD);

GS-L starting at $41,500, with a power glass moonroof, power liftgate, heated steering wheel, leather upholstery, and more;

GT starting at $45,500, with 20” wheels in a bright finish, a 12-speaker BOSE audio system, navigation, and Mazda's first-ever windshield-projected colour Active Driving Display (ADD);

Signature starting at $50,100, with Nappa leather upholstery in a rich Chroma Brown colour, open-pore rosewood on the centre console and door switch panels, signature grille illumination, LED console and door trim illumination, and LED interior lighting.

Colour options for the CX-9 are Snowflake White ($200), Soul Red ($300), Jet Black, Deep Crystal Blue, Titanium Flash, Sonic Silver, and new on the CX-9, Machine Grey ($300).

Last edited:
I think Mazda was aware of this and is why the CX-9's trick EGR (exhaust-gas recirculation) comes into play. From Car and Driver's

Like I said, I'm hoping for the best. The EPA numbers are not the question. They are outstanding and they're the reason other manufacturers have started putting small turbos in larger vehicles. The question is real world efficiency. Across the lineup with skyactiv, Mazda is very good at meeting (or at least getting close to) the EPA numbers. But none of the other skyactiv vehicles have resorted to turbocharging. When you look at other 3 Row CUVs, the real divergence between EPA and real world mpg starts to occur with smaller turbo engines.

On paper , Mazda really checked on the items on my list for this new CX-9 except for their yet to announced GVWR . If this number exceeds 6,000lbs like some previous generation CX-9 did, I would definitely be buying one come this June.

Not sure if u didn't understand my post or trying to be sarcastic but Google white balance...maybe that will help

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Not sure if u didn't understand my post or trying to be sarcastic but Google white balance...maybe that will help

I understand that, which is why my first sentence and last sentence of that post alluded to needing to see it in person. I don't trust the promotional "professional" pictures either because they tend to alter the true appearance as well.

I understand that, which is why my first sentence and last sentence of that post alluded to needing to see it in person. I don't trust the promotional "professional" pictures either because they tend to alter the true appearance as well.
I see, sunshine

I saw a soul red this morning, it looked like a sport trim. It did have LED headlights no DLR. also the wheels looked small probably the 18s. Michigan plates

Other than the interior, it is hard to get excited about the new CX-9. I wish it was a little bit bigger, not smaller. This is their flagship SUV after all. The turbo 2.5L seems underwhelming to me. Why not use the 2.7L turbo that is in the F-150. The engine is an absolute monster. It is rated at 325 hp and 375ft/lbs of torque - dyno tests shows that it is under rated at that. After all, they did put it in the Ford edge where it is rated at 310hp/350tq which was good enough for 14.2 second quarter mile times. I am a big fan of economy of scale as well. It is nice to be able to get replacement parts fast and cheap.

Other than the interior, it is hard to get excited about the new CX-9. I wish it was a little bit bigger, not smaller. This is their flagship SUV after all. The turbo 2.5L seems underwhelming to me. Why not use the 2.7L turbo that is in the F-150. The engine is an absolute monster. It is rated at 325 hp and 375ft/lbs of torque - dyno tests shows that it is under rated at that. After all, they did put it in the Ford edge where it is rated at 310hp/350tq which was good enough for 14.2 second quarter mile times. I am a big fan of economy of scale as well. It is nice to be able to get replacement parts fast and cheap.

Mazda and Ford have been divorced for a while now...

All you whining about engines...go get ford or toyota...simple as that. They have enough big boat big engine options....mazda went 100% MAZDA TECH on this gen. Very exciting tech. by the way. Understand that, acknowledge and shut up already about v6 and size. There is a lot of BIG EVERYTHING on the market. Some people want optimal for their needs. Mazda delivered very handsome 7 seater with new interesting turbocharging solution. All you experts on turbocharging and towing big loads....there is enough on the market for you. GO GET IT.

Ford sold it's controlling stake in Mazda is 2008. They still held some stock (about 13%) and a seat on Mazda's board, but the partnership was effectively over. Ford agreed at the time to keep supplying Mazda with components, but Mazda began developing their own engines to break their reliance on Ford.

All you whining about engines...go get ford or toyota...simple as that. They have enough big boat big engine options....mazda went 100% MAZDA TECH on this gen. Very exciting tech. by the way. Understand that, acknowledge and shut up already about v6 and size. There is a lot of BIG EVERYTHING on the market. Some people want optimal for their needs. Mazda delivered very handsome 7 seater with new interesting turbocharging solution. All you experts on turbocharging and towing big loads....there is enough on the market for you. GO GET IT.

Missed your anger management appointment this week? Everyone here is expressing their opinion, just like you are. There's no requirement that everyone else's opinion has to match up with yours, even if some opinions are misguided, or based on bad facts. If you can't handle that, maybe an internet forum is not for you.

I don't hear anyone whining. I, like others, express concern that being a pioneer in this class with a 4 cylinder turbo engine may backfire on Mazda; Volvo is the only other company to do this, and their car is brand new, again, with no proven track record. I don't see why that is such a horrible thing. My other car has a 2.0 turbo, which is faster and more powerful than the 2.5 V6 I had before it, and I love it. But 2.0 turbos are common among 4-door sedans, and have a proven track record.

It is fine for you to love this engine and this car, and I urge you to blaze a trail for those of use that take a more conservative approach, and confirm that it is everything that is promised. That's just not for me.

Last edited:
I'll be intrigued to see how well it does. Mazda's have always been a bit under powered IMO, but they make up for it in the handling dynamics usually. I'm just worried about durability, turbos and all have a record of not really lasting over 100k without replacement, which is generally a bit spendy. I love the package it comes in though, it's a very nice update and the interior is gorgeous. Again hopefully along with fixing the wonderful transmission/differential time bomb the engine will be a good one.

Regardless this is not a vehicle to tow with except for the odd jaunt, looks like it's gonna have a 2k two rating:(

Welcome to the CX-9 cheer-leading forum. If you don't like everything about the CX-9, get lost. ROOOAAAARRRR!!!!!!~!

Anyhow, guess I am a little bit behind on Mazda info. Serious question here - does a manufacture need to be a partner in order to use their engines? Seems a lot of weird British companies were using the Modular Ford engines - not sure if they actually had Ford partnerships. The Cx-9 is a great 7-seater , but it has a lot to do with the other vehicles being crappy (GMs taking the cake) or just plain ugly (I am looking at you Ford Flex and Lincoln MXwhateverthehell). With gas being so cheap for so long, I would think the Durango will dominate sales since people still want capability and it is a big jump to the Expedition/Surburban. Otherwise they will just get a damn minivan. The NEW CX-9 s trying to fill a white space that doesn't exist.

Welcome to the CX-9 cheer-leading forum. If you don't like everything about the CX-9, get lost. ROOOAAAARRRR!!!!!!~!

Anyhow, guess I am a little bit behind on Mazda info. Serious question here - does a manufacture need to be a partner in order to use their engines? Seems a lot of weird British companies were using the Modular Ford engines - not sure if they actually had Ford partnerships. The Cx-9 is a great 7-seater , but it has a lot to do with the other vehicles being crappy (GMs taking the cake) or just plain ugly (I am looking at you Ford Flex and Lincoln MXwhateverthehell). With gas being so cheap for so long, I would think the Durango will dominate sales since people still want capability and it is a big jump to the Expedition/Surburban. Otherwise they will just get a damn minivan. The NEW CX-9 s trying to fill a white space that doesn't exist.

The cx9 is a competitor with the pilot and highlander if anything. They just announced the updated highlander that will debut at new york this week. The competition in this segment and i think we all as consumers will win.

Ive been holding out on a cx5 or cx9 for a very long time now and have a reason to be excited. Waiting for final numbers on this new cx9 and dreaming of what an updated cx5 with this engine could do

The cx9 is a competitor with the pilot and highlander if anything. They just announced the updated highlander that will debut at new york this week. The competition in this segment and i think we all as consumers will win.

Ive been holding out on a cx5 or cx9 for a very long time now and have a reason to be excited. Waiting for final numbers on this new cx9 and dreaming of what an updated cx5 with this engine could do

You think they are going to put this engine in the CX-5?

You think they are going to put this engine in the CX-5?

It's entirely possible since it's just a turbocharged version of the engine that's already in the CX-5. I, for one, would like to see it in the Mazda6 with the i-ACTIV AWD for a new Mazdaspeed6. Mazda announced that they're "gonna blow the lid off" of something at the NY Auto Show this week. Everyone says it's a PRHT Miata, which is nice, but I'm hoping for Mazdaspeed intros.

The NEW CX-9 s trying to fill a white space that doesn't exist.

Well, it's clearly a child imagined/conceived before the sub-$2 gasoline days reappeared. Just unfortunate timing on Mazda's part, and definitely not helpful to them that it's the sole powertrain option.

Back