Spied: 2017 Mazda CX-9

Agree monoxide, not sure if the signature trim ($45K) is worth $4000 more than Grand Touring ($41K)

Great Pictures!

This feels to me like a bit of a gamble for Mazda, but I really applaud their efforts. (yes)

I look forward to seeing some production models, and see if some of these things like the disappointing stitching, tire manufacturer, 2nd row hump, etc. change any.

Not a vehicle I am interested in personally except for maybe sampling the stump ripping torque of the new 2.5 Turbo.(drive)

Agree monoxide, not sure if the signature trim ($45K) is worth $4000 more than Grand Touring ($41K)

Signature has AWD standard, an $1800 option on the GT. The difference is really $2,045.00. So, is that price difference enough to justify the addition of Auburn-colored Nappa leather, rosewood supplied by Japanese guitar-maker Fujigen, LED signature accent grille lighting and LED accent lighting around the automatic shifter on the Signature? That's up to the buyers to the decide. Personally, I'm only interested in the Auburn-colored Nappa leather, but I can also live without it.

Leather all together is a sham....on any brand other than top luxury vehicles. Once u get to the small print u will learn that leather seats...don't really have that much leather to begin with. Not saying that's the case here but overall I would always opt for fabric seats if that was an option on higher trims. It's frickin vinyl with some leather inserts here and there. It's neither more comfortable nor more durable. With proper design, color scheme and stitching it has potential to look way better than fabric...that's about it

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I think I prefer the exterior styling of the previous model.
2017-mazda-cx-9-3.jpg

105801.jpg

2008-mazda-cx-9-photo-202516-s-986x603.jpg

2008-mazda-cx-9-photo-202505-s-986x603.jpg

Last edited:
Well, no...u can say what u want...preferences on styling and all that crap...there is no way old gen looks better in any light at any angle, at any circumstances. And running boards/pipes in first example are just gay..sorry. Russian car too....surprise surprise

Leather all together is a sham....on any brand other than top luxury vehicles. Once u get to the small print u will learn that leather seats...don't really have that much leather to begin with. Not saying that's the case here but overall I would always opt for fabric seats if that was an option on higher trims. It's frickin vinyl with some leather inserts here and there. It's neither more comfortable nor more durable. With proper design, color scheme and stitching it has potential to look way better than fabric...that's about it

I am sure that even on Signature, it's leather "trimmed" seats, or leather "seating surfaces", or whatever you want to call it.

It's a personal choice--I used to think I didn't want leather, but now it's a must have. First, it's the easiest to keep clean. But, more so, most cars in this class, if you want higher level features, it's really hard to get them without also opting for leather. Just like the current CX-9--if you want GT, with 20" wheels, fogs, BSM, Bose, etc, you are locked into getting leather.

dash controls

great pics, thanks Avidien, stupid question..... no CD player right ? I know, I know, can rip them into MP3, but sometimes you just want to pop in a CD, I find the CD player in the current model very convenient when I have no time to rip the CD, plus I'm an old timer with tons of CD's,

you young'ins probably have no idea what a cassette tape or 8 track is LOL just kidding :)

Last edited:
great pics, thanks Avidien, stupid question..... no CD player right ? I know, I know, can rip them into MP3, but sometimes you just want to pop in a CD, I find the CD player in the current model very convenient when I have no time to rip the CD, plus I'm an old timer with tons of CD's,

you young'ins probably have no idea what a tape cassette or 8 track is LOL just kidding :)

Lol you just made me realize that I've never had a CD in mine....I honestly don't recall the last time I actually used a CD for myself!

Between my phone and memory sticks I'm pretty digital these days I guess.

CD will still provide best quality ...unless u rip to lossless and play directly from usb...than I guess CD will be inferior. U have to rip them though. If u purchase mp3 online....and/or if u use amazon music prime and u play it through BT....it's rather crappy

Quality is one thing, but quantity is a whole other ball park. Honestly most of the music I listen too, (outlaw country, old country, blues, etc. adn the odd heavy metal song) I honestly don't hear the difference, maybe its too many years blasting metallica through my head phones as a youth eh (rockon)? Classical and Jazz I could certainly see having high fidelity etc. However this is a car, and on top of this a mazda, just being able to hear the music above the road noise is a recent development (yippy)

Simple: u want to limit amount of buttons on the stearing wheel for obvious reasons. Also, u will turn it on position once when cold weather hits...and it will stay there for entire winter most likely....unless it gets actually hot when on for too long. My seats are in heat on position all winter ...when I start the car, I don't even touch the button. Works for me.

Simple: u want to limit amount of buttons on the stearing wheel for obvious reasons. Also, u will turn it on position once when cold weather hits...and it will stay there for entire winter most likely....unless it gets actually hot when on for too long. My seats are in heat on position all winter ...when I start the car, I don't even touch the button. Works for me.

To each is own, I guess. In my other car, once the steering wheel heats up, I tend to shut it off. Ditto on the seats--or at least turn the heat down off of searing once quickly warmed.

you young'ins probably have no idea what a cassette tape or 8 track is LOL just kidding :)

My mom drove a boat Caddy growing up in the 80's with a 8 track. I remember alot of johnny cash tapes. haha. And casettes were still being used till about 2000. Its what us skaters always used in the 90's as CD players anti skip technology wasnt really that good yet. So we rocked Walkmens.

Lol you just made me realize that I've never had a CD in mine..

Owned my CX9 for almost 2 years now. And havent put a CD in yet. It connects to my phone as soon as i get in, which connects to my entire music library. So a CD is kinda a step back.

My uncle had an 8 track in his pickup truck. Summer of my senior year I bought a cheap $400 runabout Topaz that just had an AM radio. That really stunk. I purchased a good old "realistic" pull out tape player. worked nicely and transfered into a much nicer ford tempo. That is until my dad neglected to take out the radio one day and some jerk ripped open my dash to get it.....

hahaha, all this talk of CD's got me nostalgic and I popped in an old movie themes CD into the CX-9 for the first time since I bought the car LOL
and Drogos is right: direct CD disc sounds much better than compressed MP3 or bluetooth music via driver's phone

dang the sweet highs and clearness of the Star Wars and Indiana Jones theme songs from the CD were amazing especially from a 16 years old CD I bought back in 2000 !
The Bose w/centerpoint isn't the best but it's still a good quality system IMHO and the CD audio was really excellent.

I need to brush up on my MP3 settings skills and re-rip my old CD's so there's no loss or just start saving as big .WAV files and run it thru the CX9 USB port so there's no loss in quality.

Last edited:

hahaha, no CD player, I asked the Mazda rep the same question and she smiled and looked at me as if I was kidding.
Anyway, I double checked, there's no hidden CD slots in the front armrest or behind the dash.....

there were still a lot of new 2016/2017 models that still have CD players even though a lot of people probably won't use them:

I think I'm going to pass on the new CX-9, don't really need a 7 seater, I'm going to go smaller in the future,
haven't decided yet, there's suppose to be a model larger than the CX-5 but smaller than the CX-9...

http://www.carscoops.com/2015/09/mazda-koeru-concept-spied-in-production.html

Last edited:
The last car offered (optional) with a cassette player was the Lexus SC430 of MY2010

2016 Mazda CX-9 Brochure

I was trying to attach it, but file seems to be a bit large for the uploader. Anyway, here is the 2016 Mazda CX-9 Brochure.

Machine Gray Metallic exterior color seems to be the color to get:
Machine Gray Metallic: a new signature paint from Mazda offering the luster and depth reserved for concept vehicles. Conceived by the creative minds of our designers, this rich hue is the result of a myriad of spray processing innovations. Aluminum paint flakes align in a uniform pattern that parallels the surface of the CX-9’s body panels for dramatic hues with intense luminosity and a reflective, liquid-like quality.

And the Auburn leather is only available in the Signature trim. Oh yeah, no Apple CarPlay or Android Auto Support.

Last edited:
I was trying to attach it, but file seems to be a bit large for the uploader. Anyway, here is the 2016 Mazda CX-9 Brochure.

Machine Gray Metallic exterior color seems to be the color to get:
Machine Gray Metallic: a new signature paint from Mazda offering the luster and depth reserved for concept vehicles. Conceived by the creative minds of our designers, this rich hue is the result of a myriad of spray processing innovations. Aluminum paint flakes align in a uniform pattern that parallels the surface of the CX-9’s body panels for dramatic hues with intense luminosity and a reflective, liquid-like quality.

And the Auburn leather is only available in the Signature trim. Oh yeah, no Apple CarPlay or Android Auto Support.

Interesting. Not only is the Auburn leather only available in the Signature trim, but that's the only option for Signature. I'm surprised they can't do the upgraded black leather for the Signature trim. Also, the exterior colors are more restrictive in the Signature line than any other model -- you can't even get the Soul Red in the top model.

Back