Spied: 2017 Mazda CX-9

I don't hear anyone whining. I, like others, express concern that being a pioneer in this class with a 4 cylinder turbo engine may backfire on Mazda; Volvo is the only other company to do this, and their car is brand new, again, with no proven track record. I don't see why that is such a horrible thing.

I agree with you. I'm hopeful that Mazda delivers a CX-9 that provides satisfactory performance and great real world fuel efficiency. But I'm also concerned that they might fall short on one or both of these. And this is not a baseless concern. Mazda is actually not the trailblazer here. Ford debuted the Explorer with the 2.0L Ecoboost and it was a failure. It could only power the FWD version and barely, plus it didn't come close to meeting it's EPA fuel economy in the real world. They have since replaced it with the 2.3L Ecoboost and I think it's improved but the jury is still out. Volvo's new XC90 has a 2.0L with a turbo and supercharger, plus hybrid in some models. All accounts are that it is a very satisfying drive but I'm not sure if it's meeting its promised fuel economy either.

Across the skyactiv lineup, Mazda has a good track record of delivering on its promised fuel economy numbers. But none of the other cars are turbos and none approach the CX-9s size and weight. I hope they pull this off. But there is good reason for skepticism.

I agree with you. I'm hopeful that Mazda delivers a CX-9 that provides satisfactory performance and great real world fuel efficiency. But I'm also concerned that they might fall short on one or both of these. And this is not a baseless concern. Mazda is actually not the trailblazer here. Ford debuted the Explorer with the 2.0L Ecoboost and it was a failure. It could only power the FWD version and barely, plus it didn't come close to meeting it's EPA fuel economy in the real world. They have since replaced it with the 2.3L Ecoboost and I think it's improved but the jury is still out. Volvo's new XC90 has a 2.0L with a turbo and supercharger, plus hybrid in some models. All accounts are that it is a very satisfying drive but I'm not sure if it's meeting its promised fuel economy either.

Across the skyactiv lineup, Mazda has a good track record of delivering on its promised fuel economy numbers. But none of the other cars are turbos and none approach the CX-9s size and weight. I hope they pull this off. But there is good reason for skepticism.

I didn't realize that the Explorer offered this engine, but interestingly, the 2.3 EcoBoost is the optional engine; the V6 is the base engine.

The Explorer is a pig and the EcoBoost isn't tuned for low end torque. I'm waiting to drive the new 9 and see how good it really is. The press has driven a near production ready 9 and the write ups are good so far. You do realize the Ford engine is NOT a Mazda design??

2016 NY Auto show pictures

Mazda had two models for the public to sit in, one Machine Grey and one Soul Red. IMHO, grey looked better, red looked almost like the current CX3 model on steroids.

Machine Grey model is top of the line Signature MSRP $45K (available in Auburn nappa leather or two tone black nappa leather, the auto show only had the Auburn color)

Soul Red one is one step down I believe it's a GT MSRP $41K (no real wood, no Nappa leather)

also added some pics of new Miata hard top (thought it looked cool the way it transformed)

I overheard a conversation between a guy and the Mazda rep. The guy asked if there was going to be a V6 option in the future.
Rep's exact words were quote for quote "no V6, Mazda is getting out of the V6 game with Ford engines and concentrating only on their own Skyactiv 4 cylinders now"
he's only a rep so take it with a grain of salt, just relaying exactly what I heard.

awkward location for cigarette 12V outlet, now on side next to passenger left shin ?

Can't even see the fog lights unless you look for them, not sure how effective they are, wished the fog lights were like the CX3 nice and big.

This is a good picture of the real auburn color, not orange

The infamous 2nd row hump, this is just stupid, only full size SUV we saw with a hump

Not much room for 3rd passenger heads

Really nice wood, felt like wood from an expensive violin

All rear windows glass are tinted from the factory, only the driver and passenger glass are not tinted

There was alot of interest and big crowd around the CX9 and one passerby made an interesting comment, there's no front lower bumper, the aggressive plastic grill sticks out the most and the lower chrome horizontal element on the lower lip will get easily damaged if someone backs into it when parallel parking,

Turn signal on mirrors, extremely narrow strip, almost unnoticeable upclose, not sure if it's any use if other drivers can't see it far away

My son just plain hated the second row hump, felt uncomfortable. He had a good point, this is the new model, how is this better? the one we have now is flat

Built in sun shades for 2nd row, nice feature

This picture shows how close the shifter is to the HVAC controls, it doesn't seem like good ergonomics especially when traveling on highway and trying to adjust HVAC system and shifter in the way. Maybe when it's in D mode it'll be better. But if you're in Park mode waiting for someone and need to adjust it's just plain awkward

Here are pictures of the new hard top Miata:

Last edited:
Great pics, thanks!

no problem, here's some more misc pics, my biggest gripe with the non-signature model is the leather feels cheap like it won't last long and stitching is sloppy and wrinkled especially for a $41K car you should expect more....hopefully this is just prototypes and production will be cleaner. The $45k signature real nappa leather felt nice and supple like Lexus leather and the stitching was clean and tight.

I knew something was off when I opened the second row doors and saw the non-signature leather, it just didn't have that wow factor, it looked cheap and non form-fitting. I would go as far as to say it looked like just a step above AutoZone aftermarket leather seats fitted over the seats. Something was off but just couldn't think of what until I got home and compared it to the 2013 leather quality and stitching then I realized it, the stitching on the 2013+ is DUAL PIPING/TRIPLE STITCHES (pic below)!! not single stitch like the new CX-9 about to bust at the seams. Also, the 2013+ leather feels like real leather, don't take my word for it, make sure to feel and look at it carefully, if buying I would get the signature leather. I'm hoping the non-signature leather seats at the auto show must be prototypes, there's no way they are for production, it's way to sloppy for the flagship CX-9.

driver now gets a handle by door ceiling (nice for getting in and out), the signature leather felt luxurious plus the signature nappa leather driver's headrest was different and more comfortable than the non signature model, I believe it has tilt capability, not sure but it's definitely different, compare to pictures above the stitching is cleaner and leather looks upscale, have to see it in person, pictures make the nappa look orange, it's really not, more like auburn.

very nice sharp looking nose

instead of real wood, non-signature is a glossy piano fake wood finish, attract fingerprints like crazy

This is the non-signature shifter console section, you can see the glossy piano trim full of fingerprints instead of the real wood

Sitting in driver's seat is VERY NICE, excellent driving position with optimum steering wheel location and good visibility all around. Driver definitely controls the car, not vice versa

Climate controls seem to be hard to reach with shifter in the way. Note: no 12V cigarette outlet, outlet is now off to the passenger side near passenger left knee.

new safety equipment next to the rear view mirror

trunk lid is now flush with bumper (red arrow below), no more "ledge" with stainless steel bumper protector like current model. Similar situation like the front where the plastic grill sticks out further than the front bumper. With the rear lid almost flush with bumper, backing into a pole or even a minor fender bender will be an expensive repair bill. Also just make sure if you plan to install a bike rack that there's enough clearance.

rear cargo, seems similar in size like current model , might be slightly smaller but not noticeable

Real spare tire (instead of other car mfgs just putting in a fix-a-flat spray can to reduce weight and meet MPG). Spare is now in a hidden cargo tray under rear cargo floor, no more hanging cable from underneath like current model. I don't think there's enough depth to put in a real FULL SIZE spare, only enough depth for a temporary donut spare.

tried to take a picture of the bottom, but all I can see is noise deadening panels

miscellaneous pic:

pretty blonde :)

cool Mazda racing car

new Acura NSX

new Lexus LC 500

my kids loved the new Sante Fe easy pass thru second row captains chairs, and the nice HVAC control in the 3rd row ,
Sante Fe is a really nice SUV, a loaded 3.3L V6 Limited Ultimate Panoroof AWD is about $41K

This is the Santa Fe picture taken from the back, note the nice 2nd row captain chairs, the seats are very comfortable and note the excellent leather stitching, very clean and form fitting.

Last edited:
I'm curious...any word on the middle row hump being in production model????

Hi Brucie, not 100% sure, I didn't ask the rep, but all three models (1 up on stage and 2 for people to sit in) that Mazda had at the show have the 2nd row hump, it's safe to assume and a high probability it will be in production models.

Last edited:

oh wow, those non-signature leather seats do look pretty bad and amateurish like a patch quilt made of real pieces of leather with fake vinyl pieces snuck in some areas, really low quality single stitching with wrinkles here and there and jagged lines not worthy of a $41K price tag, single stitch seams don't last long once the leather gets stretched and ripped at those seams. Is that white cushion foam already showing thru the stitches near the passenger back lower bicep area ?

Even the signature auburn leather seat stitching don't look that great, I can see a clear line of white cushion foam showing thru the seams on the passenger lower back side.
I guess this is nit picking, but if one is going to spend $45K, you shouldn't expect to see foam cushioning thru the seams, single stitching is just a really bad idea and cost cutting from Mazda, how much are they really saving if they just do the dual piping/triple stitching like the current model?

Last edited:
Thanks for these pictures. I usually get to the NYIAS and hope to this year but if I don't make it, I'm glad to have this thorough overview of the new CX-9. Just to weigh in on the leather and the stitching, I don't feel like the leather was a strong suit of the previous generation. It was supportive, well crafted and pretty durable but it wasn't particularly luxurious. Still, this might be a step backwards. I recently traded in my CX-9 for a Durango Limited and it doesn't have the best looking leather either. Still, the Durango has the same seats as Grand Cherokee Limited and that's at an even higher price point. Not sure what my point is. It would be great if the leather upholstery was buttery soft, supportive and well stitched. But there are cars at the $40K and above price point that aren't any better.

I spied that hump in the original press photos and there were several comments here about how it may have been the lighting or a floor mat. It looks like the hump is real and that's too bad. This is not the biggest deal in the world. My Durango has a hump too (although at least in pictures it seems like the Mazda's is almost twice as tall). The problem is that this might also be a step backwards. The current CX-9 has a completely flat floor across the 2nd row. This is hugely convenient (I've loaded boxes that could slide right across) and comfortable (more legroom for the middle passenger). So what is the trade-off here? What is the CX-9 gaining in exchange for the hump in the 2nd row? I guess someone's going to have to go underneath and take photos but I haven't read about anything that would require this change. Does the new AWD system need this? Is there more ground clearance now?

Another downside is the cargo area. The car has beautiful lines in part due to the sloping rear glass but there's a meaningful hit to cargo capacity, particularly if you stack things vertically. It looks like the 3rd row seat is right up against the glass so while you might have similar usable floor space, you lose volume quickly as you go up.

Enough of the complaints. The car looks great, inside and out. All reports are that it drives great too. If real world fuel economy matches what they're promising, Mazda's going to have a hit on its hands.

.....Enough of the complaints. The car looks great, inside and out. All reports are that it drives great too. If real world fuel economy matches what they're promising, Mazda's going to have a hit on its hands.

I was at the car show this weekend, I don't think those are complaints but legitimate gripes if you're going to spend $45,000, Avidien was just pointing out issues and details that professional reviewers and Mazda would never point out. Agree with you sjg that the car looks great, but my philosophy is "never get too in love with a car" especially one that none of us has even driven yet, LOL. I mean the lines look nice but it ain't that nice in person, headlights look small compared to new grill and tail lights are way undersized. And Avidien is right about the stitching and cushion foam showing thru, they looked like crap.

I was at the car show this weekend, I don't think those are complaints but legitimate gripes if you're going to spend $45,000, Avidien was just pointing out issues and details that professional reviewers and Mazda would never point out. Agree with you sjg that the car looks great, but my philosophy is "never get too in love with a car" especially one that none of us has even driven yet, LOL. I mean the lines look nice but it ain't that nice in person, headlights look small compared to new grill and tail lights are way undersized. And Avidien is right about the stitching and cushion foam showing thru, they looked like crap.
I'm with you. I was talking about MY complaints not others'. And my point is that I didn't want to be entirely negative because there is good reason to be excited about this car. Personally, when I saw photos of the hump and the compromised cargo volume I chose to buy a different car rather than wait for the new CX-9. And from shopping around, I'm just pointing out that there are other cars in the price range with questionable fit and finish as well. I'm still very intrigued. To me the most exciting thing about the car is the reportedly fantastic driving experience coupled with great promised fuel efficiency. If Mazda delivers on both, they will have done something that nobody has been able to do in a 3 row CUV.

Thanks for the pics, avidien. I agree with tomcat1446 that the issues raised are legitimate gripes on a $45K vehicle, but I also concur with sjg that these issues with the leather seats are seemingly becoming the industry norm as the cost of building these vehicles become more substantial as model years pass. Manufacturers are likely looking at areas to cut costs and leather quality is one of them. I also remember that most manufacturers make it a point of stating that leather is used only for the actual seating surfaces and not the entire seat. I do want to raise the fact that the vehicles at the NYIAS are likely preproduction models, and may have leather seats that have been cobbled up from existing leather material inventory and hurriedly stitched up, specifically in the non-Signature CX-9. I'll try not to get to worked up and reserve final judgment when the final production models start showing up, along with the test drive impressions. The 2nd row hump is an unfortunate addition. I'm still holding out for the addition of Apple CarPlay and Android Auto since official brochures haven't been made available yet. If Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are not available at launch, I'll skip the 1st model year altogether and let the early adopters be the guinea pigs. :)

great pics, man! thanks for sharing.

no problem, you're welcome, here's the rest....

mirror now mounted on door instead of window, no more pedestrian blind spots at crosswalks

strut tower brace (green arrows) added for handling

sport mode ? no idea what this does ?

glovebox is smaller than the current one, can fit very little

shark fin antenna (green arrow)

front shot of red CX-9 this is the view when valet drives up with your brand new model CX-9 and the crowd stares LOL just kidding

good visibility thru quarter panel window, saw so many SUV's where quarter panel windows were just useless and covered with plastic panels

beautiful front

more than just a pretty logo, safety devices hidden in that thing like radar for front vehicle detection and radar cruise control

dash controls

foglight (green arrow)

Falken ZIEX CT50 all seasons tires.... can't find any reviews on them ?

3rd row kind of snug, there's more room in current model

Bose speaker

2nd row HVAC controls

Last edited:
Thanks Avidien !!

here's info on "SPORT" mode,

Sport Mode adjusts the transmission shift and engine throttle controls to deliver what could be described as a sportier driving experience.

http://mazdaoflodi.com/blog/what-does-sport-mode-do-on-a-mazda/

off topic: what in the heck is an Accelerator Pedal Kickdown Switch ?

resistance to gas pedal until you here a click ? sounds like a useless feature that will only confuse driver's who don't know and think they broke their car by stepping on the gas too hard,

I wonder if the new CX-9 will have this:

http://mazdaoflodi.com/blog/why-is-my-mazda-gas-pedal-hard-to-push-down/

Last edited:
This is just my opinion, not trying to start any flame wars at anything, but that center dash layout looks bland to me, don't get me wrong the shifter console with the rose wood is absolutely gorgeous, no doubt, but that display looks like a Samsung Galaxy Tab plopped on there in a slot and the HVAC controls blocked by the shifter just doesn't look right.

After seeing those close up stitching pics on both version of seats, i almost want to buy a basic model with fabric, And just spent the extra cash on a Katzkin leather seat kit. Pretty sure they even have a Napa option, and there stitching is top notch so i wouldnt have to worry about it. Plus i could get it exactly how i wanted.

After seeing those close up stitching pics on both version of seats, i almost want to buy a basic model with fabric, And just spent the extra cash on a Katzkin leather seat kit. Pretty sure they even have a Napa option, and there stitching is top notch so i wouldnt have to worry about it. Plus i could get it exactly how i wanted.

Agree monoxide, not sure if the signature trim ($45K) is worth $4000 more than Grand Touring ($41K)

Back