Why does it say BOSE and they SUCK so much?

Actually the $875 HK sound system in my previous car, a 2014 BMW 228 MSport only had treble and bass, no equalizer.

Y'all are saying no bass. I guess I don't know what I'm missing. My music makes the rear view mirror vibrate. I feel it. NO, there is no sub...but...I need to play my music in more cars I guess.

Oh no, no, no. Not that. Bass is there, but it's not FULL RANGE. Assume a bass guitarist starts off and then ends after a minute. You'll near (assume) from 11th. to 40th. seconds. Whereas a full range bass speaker/amp will give you all the bass. Sorry: should have clarified.

Okay.. this is funny. So here's what I did: I put fade at 70% towards rear while parked. Centerpoint: off. AudioPilot: Off. Music source: really good recording, in USB. I liked now the music coming from all over and no more front/center heavy.
Start driving and AS MY SPEED INCREASES THE MUSIC GOES MORE AND MORE TOWARDS THE REAR! Is this normal?

Okay.. this is funny. So here's what I did: I put fade at 70% towards rear while parked. Centerpoint: off. AudioPilot: Off. Music source: really good recording, in USB. I liked now the music coming from all over and no more front/center heavy.
Start driving and AS MY SPEED INCREASES THE MUSIC GOES MORE AND MORE TOWARDS THE REAR! Is this normal?
That makes perfect sense. As you start to accelerate, and until the sound particles gain the momentum to keep up, they'll drop behind. You are actually moving faster than the sound... If you were to drive in reverse, you'd notice the sound seeming to move towards the front of the car.

zoom-zoom.

(obvious sarcasm)

That makes perfect sense. As you start to accelerate, and until the sound particles gain the momentum to keep up, they'll drop behind. You are actually moving faster than the sound... If you were to drive in reverse, you'd notice the sound seeming to move towards the front of the car.

zoom-zoom.

(obvious sarcasm)

Actually, you missed the part where Mazda added the FLUX CAPACITOR to the SKYACTIV engine....:)

I think the Bose system sounds fine. Not the best I have heard but good enough for my enjoyment. As an audiophile with a pretty nice home system, I fully expected anything with the Bose name on it so pretty much suck. This doesn't. I would caution against putting different speakers up front unless you really like a sizzling top end. Bose is all about using heavy amounts of EQ to get high and low frequency response out of essentially midrange drivers. If you put something with a real tweeter in there you are going to still have the aggressive EQ and they are going to sound pretty hot. I wouldn't do it unless I was prepared to take some measurements and design a crossover for the new speaker to compensate.

I guess I'm not the only one. I was less than impressed by the sound of my Bose system too. I think my 2010 Mazda 3 iTouring actually has a better sound system. Aside from this, I really like my CX-5 a lot.

As OP and having tried multiple settings, options and after going thru this forum I have come to a conclusion that having Bose means it'll be more involved effort if I have to replace parts. Right now I think my best bet is to proceed replacing the center speaker followed by the 2 left/right dash speakers.
My question is in order to replace these 3 I believe I'll need to slice/dice the existing connection and then attach them (jury rig) them to the new speakers as Bose connectors aren't available.
I believe sound quality will increase a bit however my primary focus at this point to have more clear mids and better highs. The highs are heavily muted. Will this suffice or rather I should try to find some way to add the missing 2 speakers (Twidlers) ?

My 2016 CX-5 GT came with BOSE audio system. I really wonder why does it SUCK so much? Is it that the BOSE is really this bad or Mazda decided to get BOSE build a really sub-par system. Hell, my OEM speakers in my 8 year old Rolla with a Pioneer head sounds WAY better with 6 speakers.

1. There's absolultely NO BASS even after I have turned Bass to FULL
  2. Mid-range is drastically subdued.
  3. Surround-sound from the so-called CenterPoint: Oh, give me a break

Am I the ONLY one realizing this or are there more of you? I remember driving 5 years back an Audi which also had Bose but was 10 times better sounding.

It sux so much because it Blose. Blose has NEVER made quality speakers or audio systems, ever. They put the cheapest possible parts into their systems and then ask outrageous prices so people will buy to impress their friends. I remember when Blose touted it's 901s buy plugging one into an A/C wall outlet and saying how great it was because it didn't burst into flames.

I HATE mine. I wish I'd have noticed the Blose logo and listened carefully to it before I agreed to buy the car.

Last edited:
Actually the $875 HK sound system in my previous car, a 2014 BMW 228 MSport only had treble and bass, no equalizer.

That"s because BMW f'd up on the m235. There is a huge discussion thread and people have gotten some money back. You were charged for a 360 watt HK system with no EQ / L7, or the aditional speakers even though they said HK in your car, instead of the 600 watt 16 speaker advertised for $875 HK that you paid for. I know you don't have the car any more, but if you do a search you will see people getting at least $375 back or more. All HK's have an EQ in the 3 series and they have since fixed this in the 2 series. Take a shot and see if you can still get your money back.

Oh, I did. had a $350 check from BMW within a couple of weeks of me complaining. So they have fixed the equalizer thing in the 2 series ???????

Oh, I did. had a $350 check from BMW within a couple of weeks of me complaining. So they have fixed the equalizer thing in the 2 series ???????

No EQ 360 watts and 12 speakers only in the 2 series. The 3 series gets the 600 watt 16 speakers with the EQ. They blamed incorrect sell sheet data. Glad you won your case.

My wife seems very pleased with the system although the fade to rear and increased bass was necessary to make it sound ok.

It is worlds better than most CUV systems out there though as we looked at several competitors before going with the CX-5 GT.

If you really want to test out an anemic BOSE system check out the Buick Encore WITH the BOSE sub add-on. It was pathetic.

It is worlds better than most CUV systems out there though as we looked at several competitors before going with the CX-5 GT.

If you really want to test out an anemic BOSE system check out the Buick Encore WITH the BOSE sub add-on. It was pathetic.

Those are good data points, thanks! And it's especially heartening to know there are still people who try out the features of multiple cars, features that matter to them, before plunking down their money.

Too many people don't try out the various offerings and make a hurried purchase decision and then whine endlessly that it's not as good as they "imagined" it would be. Rather than taking responsibility for their purchase decision, they blame the manufacturer (if you can believe that)!

Whatever happened to taking responsibility for one's decisions? There are a lot of offerings out there, try them all and pick your favorite!

Those are good data points, thanks! And it's especially heartening to know there are still people who try out the features of multiple cars, features that matter to them, before plunking down their money.

Too many people don't try out the various offerings and make a hurried purchase decision and then whine endlessly that it's not as good as they "imagined" it would be. Rather than taking responsibility for their purchase decision, they blame the manufacturer (if you can believe that)!

Whatever happened to taking responsibility for one's decisions? There are a lot of offerings out there, try them all and pick your favorite!

FYI : When I contacted specifically for this system in CX-5 - BOSE, they reiterated they did NOT recommend removal of the 2 Twindlers, which is present in other models having the similar system. So yes: I believe I have the right to blame the manufacturer - Mazda for trying to cut corners in the name of whatever they think they achieved. Bose is NOT a audiophile grade company but they have a brand name and a reputation. Mazda is NO ONE when it comes to audio. At the very least they should have just followed Bose's recommendations and setups.

As far as you're concerned - I have realized, there's nothing where you won't find a way to highlight Mazda is the greatest and best car manufacturer and they can not possibly do anything wrong.

The forum is not only for praising but also for articulating dislikes.

FYI : When I contacted specifically for this system in CX-5 - BOSE, they reiterated they did NOT recommend removal of the 2 Twindlers, which is present in other models having the similar system. So yes: I believe I have the right to blame the manufacturer - Mazda for trying to cut corners in the name of whatever they think they achieved. Bose is NOT a audiophile grade company but they have a brand name and a reputation. Mazda is NO ONE when it comes to audio. At the very least they should have just followed Bose's recommendations and setups.
I was wondering why Bose would do this - by eliminating two tweeters from a "premium audio system" on CX-5 which definitely sacrifices the quality of high notes. Any decent audio system has tweeters. The all mid-range 9-speaker "premium" audio system simply is NOT a good audio system! So this is Mazda's decision to save some pennies! And like you said, this is Mazda's Zoom-Zoom to an extreme - penny wise and pound foolish!

This is nothing to do with whether we should test it before the purchase. Certain things have certain expectations. One would expect a premium audio system in a vehicle should have tweeters and even subwoofer. In fact, I challenge you to find another upgraded premium audio system in a vehicle which offers no tweeters! Even cheaper CX-3 Bose has tweeters and subwoofer! I guess I was wrong on certain expectations from Mazda!

Any company should take criticism to improve their products. Bury the head in the sand to refuse the criticism simply is not wise.

As far as you're concerned - I have realized, there's nothing where you won't find a way to highlight Mazda is the greatest and best car manufacturer and they can not possibly do anything wrong.

I don't believe Mazda can do no wrong, nor have I ever said as much. My point flew right over your head:

There are lots of choices in the CUV market. They all offer different driving experiences, different options and their stereo's all sound different. No one car is going to check every box for every consumer so it is your job to weigh all the offerings and pick the one that suits your needs the best. None are perfect (nor will there ever be a perfect one). But an informed consumer can pick the one that fills in their own most important check-boxes.

Mazda has hundreds of dealerships that let just about anyone try their products out before making a purchase decision. There are tons of professional auto reviewers who are constantly writing about all aspects of the various offerings. Mazda is the conceptual designer and the manufacturer of all their products. They freely accept suggests, complaints and compliments through numerous channels. But, in the end, they are the deciders of their products and they alone assume all the financial risk/reward of their decisions. You can make suggestions but they alone are the final arbiter of what they offer.

Your job is only to decide which manufacturer fills in your most important check-boxes and vote with your wallet. Complaining after the fact simply shows you didn't do your job. Mazda did their job by making all the decisions. If you think you can do it better, send them a helpful letter or start your own auto company. By doing the latter your company will be in a position to make all the decisions yourself (and take all the financial risks). Back seat driving, especially when it's non-stop, is simply aggravating.

Given how incessantly you complain the sound system isn't up to your personal listening standards, I still can't believe you didn't listen before you bought.

I don't believe Mazda can do no wrong, nor have I ever said as much. My point flew right over your head:
There are lots of choices in the CUV market. They all offer different driving experiences, different options and their stereo's all sound different. No one car is going to check every box for every consumer so it is your job to weigh all the offerings and pick the one that suits your needs the best. None are perfect (nor will there ever be a perfect one). But an informed consumer can pick the one that fills in their own most important check-boxes.
As I wrote in other threads, I did evaluate extensively other cars. In fact, I can 100% guarantee that my evaluation was 95% more through than most consumers. All the IMPORTANT check-boxes except maybe 1 or 2 - CX-5 won. Thus, I bought it. So, you're correct in the sense that an educated consumer should do the research, and you recommend likewise.
Mazda has hundreds of dealerships that let just about anyone try their products out before making a purchase decision. There are tons of professional auto reviewers who are constantly writing about all aspects of the various offerings. Mazda is the conceptual designer and the manufacturer of all their products. They freely accept suggests, complaints and compliments through numerous channels. But, in the end, they are the deciders of their products and they alone assume all the financial risk/reward of their decisions. You can make suggestions but they alone are the final arbiter of what they offer.
Here, I think you're preaching to the choir, this is assumed and every one understands.

Your job is only to decide which manufacturer fills in your most important check-boxes and vote with your wallet. Complaining after the fact simply shows you didn't do your job.
Given how incessantly you complain the sound system isn't up to your personal listening standards, I still can't believe you didn't listen before you bought.
This is where I deviate from your understanding. You're the type of person who - let's say, bought the car and then let's say didn't like few things. You're a very positive attitude person and you'll shrug your shoulders and either decide to live with it or most probably, roll your sleeves and fix it. That's very commendable.

Now - let's come back to me. After extensive evaluation and whatever data I could find in the internet didn't really comment much about the infotainment or audio system. All that was stated was its much, much improved. Yes, I should have, could have listened to audio more extensively but usually its not something you'll prioritize when buying a new car. So, I did not do it too.

I asked why its sounding so bad, after using the car for sometime. Maybe,something is wrong with my car? Isn't that what this thread is for? To find out? Loo and behold I come to know about Mazda differences between CX-5 and other models. I did not believe it and went after BOSE. After much back and forth found out. That's what pisses me off. Time and again - Mazda USA decides to be the arbiter (as per you) which is fine and they have the right to be but that does not mean they are God - i.e. always right. I am simply pointing out - they are not and in few cases their decisions are bad Just like multiple others - who forced Mazda to come out with a better Infotainment system in 2016. What they did is STUPID and I am saying it, loud and clear.

So, as per you, what should I be doing? Write to them a nice mail and then what? This is a corporate. Until and unless their bottom-line is impacted, they will do - nothing. So, my raising this here and in every damn review site I know of I am getting their attention. This and the traffic navigation. Traffic navigation - already had some minute impact when the guy from JAPAN talked to me. Unlike you, I can shrug the shoulder and let it go, since it costed me quite a penny. Nor do I have disposable funds to take a hit now by trading or selling the car. At this point - I find CX-5 to be an amazing car except these 2 points.

You're truly knowledgeable, apparent from your knowledge of tires, differentials, transmissions and your overall knowledge of how Mazda build cars. I have pointed out many times here some of your advice as to how good they are. It's only when you go over the top praising Mazda when they indeed seem to have done something rather peculiar, I find it surprising.

SkyActiv Technology from Mazda is the reason we chose a CX-5. Unfortunately Mazda is being penny wise and pound foolish with regard to amenities and features available in alternate markets but not in the US. Apparently this doesn't live up to people's expectation and the sales volume stays at the bottom of the CUV list in the US market on Mazda's most popular CUV speaks to itself that Mazda had made wrong decisions.

BTW, many people have been complaining poor Bose sound system on CX-5. Now at least we know why.

BOSE really means BLOSE. You have to remember what you are paying for. A simple paper cone speaker with a little bit stronger magnet than base factory. Most BOSE items are not the highest quality speakers but the ENCLOSURE that they put them in is what makes it. Aftermarket stuff will always sound better just due to being that much better.

Back