2016 Seat Heaters

You really have to wonder just how many "owners" here are actually Mazda employees hell bent on defending anything even remotely negative, even if true, rather than acknowledge a fault and let Mazda address and fix it.

(stash)

After 10 years here and on various other car forums, I have never seen or have yet to see what you are implying.

The internet car forums are a combination of FANBOYS, vehicle shoppers, repair persons, and current owners with questions or problems.

I honestly do not think a car maker would plant spies or moles on the interwebs to defend it's products to you.
(shrug)

As far as the seat heaters are concerned, has anyone confirmed if the seat heater logic is a stand alone 4 position switch, or if it is at all tied into the logic of the HVAC system?

On an automotive board I joined in 2001 and posted to until it went bye bye in 2012 we had a corporate member that was truly a blessing and an inside source for all that she knew, good and bad about our vehicles. She neither built the product up nor cut it down, she just answered all our questions. I spoke with her over the phone and through e-mails. She never struck me as a 'plant', but just someone that wanted to join in on the discussions about her product. minnesotaart, a member here will remember her.

Last edited:
If you saw number of complaints for cracked windshield on CX-5 at NHTSA website, you wouldn't feel this windshield problem is just "above average", it's overwhelming.
The non-scientific survey on this forum for cracked windshields shows a breakage rate in line with other vehicles. And I suspect the non-scientific survey over-represents breakage due to the fact that such a survey is optional and tends to attract more responses from those who have actually had a cracked windshield.

Anyone can file a complaint on the NHTSA website. I suspect a disinformation campaign targeting the CX-5 because it doesn't reflect the results here. Only a small percentage of CX-5 owners experience broken windshields. I've had at least one broken windshield on all my other vehicles in the last decade but nary a little crack on my CX-5 in over 3 years even though it has taken some impressively loud rock hits at highway speeds. The kind of "thunk" that made me instinctively duck.
So 70 out of 94 total complaints are windshield cracks for 2014 CX-5 at NHTSA website, whereas none out of 140 total complaints is windshield cracks for 2014 Honda CR-V and none out of 17 total complaints is windshield cracks for 2014 Toyota RAV4, and considering there were at least five times more CR-V's and five times more RAV4's sold in the US, doesn't sound an alarm for you??? And you feel 22.15% of forum members had issues on "self-destructed windshield" is "small percentage"??? You think there is "a disinformation campaign targeting the CX-5" towards its windshield only at NHTSA website???

As I mentioned before, Mazda in Taiwan has admitted the weak windshield problem after the protest and extended the warranty on windshield. Don't tell me those CX-5's in Taiwan are having inferior windshield from our US version although they were assembled in the same Hiroshima plant and has the same part number!

So 70 out of 94 total complaints are windshield cracks for 2014 CX-5 at NHTSA website, whereas none out of 140 total complaints is windshield cracks for 2014 Honda CR-V and none out of 17 total complaints is windshield cracks for 2014 Toyota RAV4, and considering there were at least five times more CR-V's and five times more RAV4's sold in the US, doesn't sound an alarm for you???

Like I said, anyone can file multiple complaints on the NHTSA website. That's precisely why I think those results there are part of a disinformation campaign. those results don't jibe with real owners experiences here. And that's before we assume that a cracked windshield poll tends to attract more participation from those who have experienced a cracked windshield. How exciting is a thread titled "Has your windshield cracked?" if your windshield has never cracked? Most people are short on time and just skip right over such a boring topic (unless they have actually had a cracked windshield and then they want to tell the world. So, yes, I think you are beating a dead horse.

As I mentioned before, Mazda in Taiwan has admitted the weak windshield problem after the protest and extended the warranty on windshield. Don't tell me those CX-5's in Taiwan are having inferior windshield from our US version although they were assembled in the same Hiroshima plant and has the same part number!

Mazda never announced the windshields are weak, that's your own assumption. Never assume things like that, it tends to make an ASS of U and ME.

So 70 out of 94 total complaints are windshield cracks for 2014 CX-5 at NHTSA website, whereas none out of 140 total complaints is windshield cracks for 2014 Honda CR-V and none out of 17 total complaints is windshield cracks for 2014 Toyota RAV4, and considering there were at least five times more CR-V's and five times more RAV4's sold in the US, doesn't sound an alarm for you??? And you feel 22.15% of forum members had issues on "self-destructed windshield" is "small percentage"??? You think there is "a disinformation campaign targeting the CX-5" towards its windshield only at NHTSA website???

Well 70 complaints out of over 24,000+ units sold in the US in 2014, sure doesn't sound too bad, but when compared to the windshield defect rate of other marques, it is clear there might be a problem here. If Mazda Taiwan relented, why not Mazda USA? And are they still using the same glass supplier? (boom05)

I would bet that the 70 NHSTA windshield complaint number is much higher than that, because who knows how many folks just chalked it up to an accidental damage, and not a possible product defect, and then what percentage that thought it was a possible defect, actually took the time to complain to NHTSA?(nailbyt)

I guess I got lucky with the 2013 and 2015 windshields. I know how frustrating it can be to have to buy a new windshield installed. I went through a handful of them on my 2006 Mazda5, but all of them were rock induced. (rockon)

Mazda never announced the windshields are weak, that's your own assumption. Never assume things like that, it tends to make an ASS of U and ME.
Sorry I don't assume things like you do. You've never been in Taiwan and yet you "assumed" there is no windshield warranty extension happened in Taiwan for CX-5! I was there and had confirmed with Mazda dealer there!

Well 70 complaints out of over 24,000+ units sold in the US in 2014, sure doesn't sound too bad, but when compared to the windshield defect rate of other marques, it is clear there might be a problem here. If Mazda Taiwan relented, why not Mazda USA? And are they still using the same glass supplier? (boom05)
The NHTSA numbers are comparative. When we have 70 windshield breakage complaints out of 99,122 units on 2014 CX-5 in the US while other marques such as 2014 Honda CR-V has ZERO windshield breakage complaints out of 335,019 units and 2014 Toyota RAV4 has ZERO windshield breakage complaints out of 267,698 units, everybody but one can see there is problem on CX-5 windshield. The reason why Mazda in Taiwan budged because those CX-5 owners held many protests due to expensive replacement cost. Here most people use insurance to cover the windshield replacement with minimum expense, hence nobody cares to protest against Mazda North American Operations.

Sorry I don't assume things like you do.

You said Mazda "admitted" the CX-5 has a weak windshield. I've never seen this admission. Please provide a link to a reputable source that reports Mazda admitted the windshields are weak. See what I mean when I said you assumed?

The NHTSA numbers are comparative. When we have 70 windshield breakage complaints out of 99,122 units on 2014 CX-5 in the US while other marques such as 2014 Honda CR-V has ZERO windshield breakage complaints out of 335,019 units and 2014 Toyota RAV4 has ZERO windshield breakage complaints out of 267,698 units

Those numbers are very unusual which is strong evidence of a disinformation campaign. I pointed out that anybody can file multiple complaints at the NHTSA website and yet you ignore this fact. The reality is, every CX-5 sale steals sales from the competition. And the CX-5 has been hugely successful. The more CX-5's that get sold, the more people are exposed to them. It's the snowball effect. The competition would like to nip this in the bud and the cheapest way to do that is a cost effective disinformation campaign.

Sorry I don't assume things like you do.
You said Mazda "admitted" the CX-5 has a weak windshield. I've never seen this admission. Please provide a link to a reputable source that reports Mazda admitted the windshields are weak. See what I mean when I said you assumed?
Re-read my post and don't twist my words (and you're good at it)! I said "Mazda in Taiwan" admitted, not Mazda in general! Go buy a plane ticket flying to Taiwan and check with the Mazda dealer there to find out what I said was true!

The NHTSA numbers are comparative. When we have 70 windshield breakage complaints out of 99,122 units on 2014 CX-5 in the US while other marques such as 2014 Honda CR-V has ZERO windshield breakage complaints out of 335,019 units and 2014 Toyota RAV4 has ZERO windshield breakage complaints out of 267,698 units
Those numbers are very unusual which is strong evidence of a disinformation campaign. I pointed out that anybody can file multiple complaints at the NHTSA website and yet you ignore this fact. The reality is, every CX-5 sale steals sales from the competition. And the CX-5 has been hugely successful. The more CX-5's that get sold, the more people are exposed to them. It's the snowball effect. The competition would like to nip this in the bud and the cheapest way to do that is a cost effective disinformation campaign.
Each safety complaint requires legit VIN number. Please present your proof or a link to a reputable source showing that who would do disinformation campaign at NHTSA with weak windshield, but nothing else, against CX-5 and why? And why there is nobody else do disinformation campaign at NHTSA with weak windshield against other marques?

What you're saying was all of these safety related complaints made to NHTSA are very likely disinformation campaign initialed by other competitors. I was wondering why there are so few (17) total complaints against 2014 Toyota RAV4 as it should be a favorite target by other competitors.

BTW, CX-5 sales may be good for Mazda, but it's way behind other competitors such as Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV4, Nissan Rogue, and Ford Escape.

Re-read my post and don't twist my words (and you're good at it)! I said "Mazda in Taiwan" admitted, not Mazda in general! Go buy a plane ticket flying to Taiwan and check with the Mazda dealer there to find out what I said was true!

Mazda Taiwan IS Mazda. Please show me where Mazda Taiwan admitted the windshields are weak. If you can't show us that you will be admitting that you just assumed it was true (when it was in fact false).

Mazda Taiwan IS Mazda. Please show me where Mazda Taiwan admitted the windshields are weak. If you can't show us that you will be admitting that you just assumed it was true (when it was in fact false).
This was a formal announcement from Mazda in Taiwan website about weak windshield issue and extended windshield replacement warranty including windshield cracks caused by hitting a reasonable small-sized rock:

台灣馬自達聲明

"針對CX-5車主質疑前擋玻璃之問題,台灣馬自達確認CX-5前擋玻璃均通過台、美、日、歐盟等安全認證,符合行車安全規範與車輛安全檢測基準之安全玻璃規定。台灣馬自達並已全力配合交通主管機關,針對此議題提出相關檢驗資料及說明。

然而,台灣馬自達以顧客滿意為最優先考量,將擴大收集相關破裂玻璃樣本集中送交原廠檢驗,自即日起,若CX-5車主前擋風玻璃產生裂痕(排除任何車禍、車身碰撞、墜落物或嚴重敲擊等影響),台灣馬自達邀請您儘速回廠並提供相關資料作為調查依據,同時將安排免費更換前擋玻璃,台灣馬自達感謝您的配合,一起共同為車輛安全品質把關。"

This is the news on local newspaper:

CX-5擋風玻璃易裂 免費換

CX-5%2525E6%252593%25258B%2525E9%2525A2%2525A8%2525E7%25258E%2525BB%2525E7%252592%252583%2525E6%252598%252593%2525E8%2525A3%252582%252520%2525E5%252585%25258D%2525E8%2525B2%2525BB%2525E6%25258F%25259B.jpg

Now you should openly admit you're the one making assumptions and your statement was in fact false!

Guys, this thread is about heated seats, not cracked windshields.
I for one complain that my seats don't heat enough, even on the highest setting. In my previous car, an Acura TL, I could feel the heat of the seat through a long winter coat. I feel very little heat through my jeans in my CX-5. Now, I saw the electrical schematic related to the heated seats and AC. I'm not an expert at reading this stuff so could someone explain in simple terms what that means? Is there, yes or no, a connection between the seat heater and the AC/Heating system which makes the heat of the seat vary based on the AC temperature? I doubt it but I want to make sure. Thanks.

Last edited:
I used mine for the first time yesterday. Within 2 minutes from startup my buns were nice and toasty on the highest setting. Middle setting seemed to be fine too. Heat is definitely concentrated towards the back of the bottom cushion and lower seat back.

Not quite as hot as the seat heaters in a CR-V, but I think they'll be fine.

Guys, this thread is about heated seats, not cracked windshields.
Sorry for hijacking the thread. But you should understand that it's hard to keep silent when someone keep accusing me making false claims based on his wrong assumptions!

There is connection to the AC CPU. Looks like a variable resistor in the circuit. I don't think they would wire the heaters through the AC CPU if there was not some logic from that unit to control the heaters or maybe they vary with the engine rpm/voltage/power available to apply to the seats.... There is also a temperature sensor in the bottom of the seat.

This was a formal announcement from Mazda in Taiwan website about weak windshield issue and extended windshield replacement warranty including windshield cracks caused by hitting a reasonable small-sized rock:

台灣馬自達聲明

"針對CX-5車主質疑前擋玻璃之問題,台灣馬自達確認CX-5前擋玻璃均通過台、美、日、歐盟等安全認證,符合行車安全規範與車輛安全檢測基準之安全玻璃規定。台灣馬自達並已全力配合交通主管機關,針對此議題提出相關檢驗資料及說明。

然而,台灣馬自達以顧客滿意為最優先考量,將擴大收集相關破裂玻璃樣本集中送交原廠檢驗,
自即日起,若CX-5車主前擋風玻璃產生裂痕(排除任何車禍、車身碰撞、墜落物或嚴重敲擊等影響),台灣馬自達邀請您儘速回廠並提供相關資料作為調查依據,同時將安排免費更換前擋玻璃,台灣馬自達感謝您的配合,一起共同為車輛安全品質把關。"

Here, I'll use Google to translate that for you:
Taiwan Mazda Statement:

"For CX-5 owners questioned the issue of the windshield , Taiwan Mazda CX-5 confirmed through the windshield Taiwan , United States, Japan , European Union and other safety certification, compliance with traffic safety norms and regulations vehicle safety glass safety testing baseline of Taiwan. Mazda and has been fully cooperate with the traffic authorities , make relevant test data and instructions for this issue. However , Taiwan Mazda customer satisfaction as the top priority considerations, will expand its collection of broken glass sample set sent to the relevant original test , from now on , if the CX-5 owners of the front windshield cracks ( excluding any accident , vehicle collisions, falls or serious percussion and other effects ), Taiwan Mazda invite you back to the factory as soon as possible and to provide relevant information as a basis for the investigation , and will arrange for a free replacement windshield , Taiwan Mazda thank you for your cooperation , together for the vehicle safety quality checks. "

OK, I guess I missed the part where they admitted their windshields are weak. I do see where they say they have tested the windshield and confirmed it meets applicable specifications in Taiwan, United States, Japan and the European Union but , in the interest of customer satisfaction, customers who bring their vehicles to the factory with cracked windscreen and relevant info is provided that supports that the damage was not caused by accidents, falls or serious impacts and other related causes, Mazda will effect a goodwill replacement.

What specific part of that statement shows that Mazda admitted the windshield was in anyway weak, deficient or less strong than the windshield in any other vehicle?

Now you should openly admit you're the one making assumptions and your statement was in fact false!

Why? You have provided nothing that shows Mazda thinks their windshields are inferior in any way. Yet that was your claim.

Back to the seat heaters...I think those who say that the heaters are adequate haven't sat in a car with more powerful seat heaters.

This is the first Mazda (and non-hyundai) i've had. I'm not disgruntled. I love the switch I've made and love the car.

...but the seat heaters are a joke from Hyundais I had even 15 years ago.

Anyone try the mods here to increase the temperature of the seat heaters??

(Incidentally, I find the vents very weak too...I have to drive for at least 15 minutes before the car really gets warmed up...

If you have the temp set to auto the fan stays low or off until the motor gets warm enough to actually warm the air. I think it's a nice use not to blast out cold air while you wait.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Back