2016 Seat Heaters

I have a thought especially since hyundai was mentioned. My fiance's elantra GT which although is cloth seats, heats up a good bit more than my cx5. However, could it be possible that the quality and materials of the seats are messing with how hot the seats get. My thought is maybe the seats are thick leather in the cx5 and making it hard for the heat to transmit through the leather. Just a hypothesis.

I'm happy with the seat warmers though. My fiance's elantra I have to to turn down right away as it gets too hot. The cx5 while doesn't get hot, gets nice and toasty to me which is exactly what I want.

Unfortunately...my only experience with heat seaters are with Nissan products and they feel the same as the ones in the Mazda. All vehicles with leather seats.

I have a thought especially since hyundai was mentioned. My fiance's elantra GT which although is cloth seats, heats up a good bit more than my cx5. However, could it be possible that the quality and materials of the seats are messing with how hot the seats get. My thought is maybe the seats are thick leather in the cx5 and making it hard for the heat to transmit through the leather. Just a hypothesis.

I'm happy with the seat warmers though. My fiance's elantra I have to to turn down right away as it gets too hot. The cx5 while doesn't get hot, gets nice and toasty to me which is exactly what I want.

Excellent call on Hyundai with cloth. However my Santa Fe (2008) was leather and heat was very powerful. I want the heat to be so hot that I turn them off. Leaving them on "high", and an inadequate level just seems to be a waste.

The funny thing is I mentioned this to my dealer when I was looking at the car via test drive and he said it's likely he demo model that was the issue. Lol - joke.

If you have the temp set to auto the fan stays low or off until the motor gets warm enough to actually warm the air. I think it's a nice use not to blast out cold air while you wait.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Yeah even when the vent is off "auto" it lacks power.

Again, I'm not criticizing everything on the mazda - it's my favourite car I've ever driven. But man, the vent power and seat warmers are embarrassingly inadequate!!!

My thought is maybe the seats are thick leather in the cx5 and making it hard for the heat to transmit through the leather. Just a hypothesis.
I don't think it's the reason. All the cars I've owned for the last 25 years were high end cars with luxury leather interiors. The ones that were heated, I could feel the heat through my clothes in 2 minutes max. In the CX-5 I feel a little bit of warmth with my hand after 5mn in high but really not much and pretty much nothing through my clothes. To call them heated seats is an exaggeration. Just my opinion.

I've got a VW (not diesel thankfully) and the CX-5. The VW heated seats will cook your backside. The Mazda on 3 is about equivalent to the VW on 1. It's pretty pathetic. If I had gone for the GT trim specifically for that feature (I really wanted auto climate control and wheels) I'd be pretty pissed.

Just another confirmation. The seat heaters are weak. This is compared to my 2012 Mazda MX-5 that gets toasty warm set to 2 or 3 and scary hot on the 4 or 5 setting. This isn't much of an issue where I live but we did notice the weakness. Still love the car.

BTW, the amount of heat produced can be measured by using an ohm meter to measure the resistance of the heating wires and multiplying it by the voltage supplied while the circuit is under load. If the resistance is above that specified by Mazda the heat will be too low. If the voltage under load is too low, it is probably an indication of excessive resistance in the circuit that needs to be tracked down (assuming overall system voltage is within spec). It could be as simple as a partially blown fuse or a bad crimp connection.

Back to topic.

So you are saying that resistance multiplied by voltage equals to power? (R x V = P?) Say Ohms x Volts = Watts? I Always learned that P = U x I. (Power = Voltage x Current).

Thank you for clarifying.

It would be interesting to know what Mazda's specs are with regards to the power (in Watts) absorbed by the seat heaters... they should be the same, regardless personal impressions.

Last edited:
Back to topic.

So you are saying that resistance multiplied by voltage equals to power? (R x V = P?) Say Ohms x Volts = Watts? I Always learned that P = U x I. (Power = Voltage x Current).

Thank you for clarifying.

I believe the correct formula is P=E(squared) / R

I believe the correct formula is P=E(squared) / R

That's the correct formula and the reason why the voltage under load is so critical to the amount of heat produced (because the voltage is squared to arrive at the amount of heat produced). So, for example, if the seat element measured 2 Ohms and system voltage is 13.8 volts, you would expect 95 watts of heat. But, if the voltage falls to 12.2 volts under load (for example due to inadequate wire diameter), then only 74 watts of heat is produced (or 22% less heat from 11.6% less voltage).

However, the CX-5 heated seats are thermostatically controlled. So, if your seats don't get hot enough for your preference, the question is whether the current is cycling on/off even on high heat setting.

If the seats cycle on/off when set to high, then the heat can be increased by insulating the thermistor from the seat heat (or moving it further away from the heating elements). Perhaps a more controllable method would be to wire a potentiometer in series with the thermistor to fool the brains into thinking the seat is cooler than it is, thus allowing the elements to be powered a higher percentage of the time.

If the heaters are not hot enough for your preference but they are not cycling on/off when set to high, then the only solution (without adding/replacing heating elements) is to increase voltage to the elements. This could be done by reducing resistance in the feed circuit (for example, by increasing wire diameter) but only if the feed wires have significant resistance to begin with.

Regardless of how the heat is increased, it is critical to insure it doesn't get hot enough to cause skin burns or damage to the seat padding/leather (or cause a fire). Obviously, it would not cost Mazda significantly more money to make the seats hotter but it could cost them down the road in terms of liability and or warranty costs should injury or seat damage occur.

While I feel the seat heaters are perfectly adequate I have graced warmer seats. Perhaps the reason could be to do with CAFE/mileage standards? A lower draw from the alternator only means better fuel economy.

Anyone tried a simple test with a cold pack placed on the thermostat area to see if seat gets warmer as a result?

While I feel the seat heaters are perfectly adequate I have graced warmer seats. Perhaps the reason could be to do with CAFE/mileage standards? A lower draw from the alternator only means better fuel economy.

I don't think so. MPG is measured using very detailed and specific protocols. I don't think any of them include the use of seat heaters.

I have aftermarket heaters from the same place that did the Katzkin leather and they have 2 settings - hot and flame! Plus, they heat up fast! The aftermarket works so much better than my previous Subaru's, and my wife's 2015 Pilot.
They also heat up your lower back.

Recent cold front has dipped morning low temperatures to 31F in our area. This makes me to have more chances testing our heated front seats. CX-5's heated front seats are definitely the weakest among our other cars, VW Passat and BMW 528i. The heat is substantially weaker, and we had to keep it at the hottest level 3 all the time and we still could only feel a little warmth; whereas on VW or BMW, we always have to lower it to level 2 or level 1 after a couple of minutes of the usage otherwise it would be too hot to seat on. I also tried to adjust the Climate Control temperature setting as the wiring diagram seems to suggest the seat warmers are also controlled by the Climate Control module. But it didn't make any differences as far as I could tell.

I also noticed the heated seats won't reset to off position automatically when you turn off the CX-5. This is odd as all other cars I've seen will automatically reset it to off for you. This makes us to have to turn it off manually if you don't need it or there is no front passenger next time you re-start the CX-5.

Last edited:
I also noticed the heated seats won't reset to off position automatically when you turn off the CX-5. This is odd as all other cars I've seen will automatically reset it to off for you. This make us to have to turn it off manually if you don't need it or there is no front passenger next time you re-start the CX-5.

I like that feature, myself, because if you have a remote starter, the seats will come on and be warm when you arrive at the car. That said, I have neither a remote starter nor strong seat heaters (and they even replaced them once) in my CX5.

I've had them on a few times now. Not anything in crazy cold, but they got nice and warm. But by the time I noticed them on, the car was already hot. I might let the car run a bit in the morning before I get in, so that might help warm the seat a bit.
Better than nothing!

Seat heaters are very much like color, music, and opinions...subjective....

My seat heaters are perfectly fine...

Back