OEM Backup Cam with Aftermarket Stereo

I don't want to start a new thread, so here it goes.
I have installed today the Kenwood stereo.
Sound works great, phone works great, but I'm having issues with the back up camera.
I have used one of the pictures with the camera's connector of +6V/GND and negative/positive video signal. I believe that RedBaron made that picture.
I'm having connection issues or something, because not always turns on the camera, I have to check it out, what is going on.
The bigger issue is, that when I select reverse, the camera does not switch.
The video quality, seems fine with this 12V to 6V converter, that I'm using.
Another issue I'm having is that not all buttons work with the steering wheel control, the phone buttons and voice command buttons.
Same goes with the illumination.
ReBaron, do you think that I should just wait for a while and they should start working?
I have to do any programming of the steering wheel controller or it is set from the factory?
Which buttons on the steering wheel do what on your car?

Last edited:
[...] but I'm having issues with the back up camera.
I have used one of the pictures with the camera's connector of +6V/GND and negative/positive video signal. I believe that RedBaron made that picture.
I'm having connection issues or something, because not always turns on the camera, I have to check it out, what is going on.
The bigger issue is, that when I select reverse, the camera does not switch.
The video quality, seems fine with this 12V to 6V converter, that I'm using.
Another issue I'm having is that not all buttons work with the steering wheel control, the phone buttons and voice command buttons.
Same goes with the illumination.
ReBaron, do you think that I should just wait for a while and they should start working?
I have to do any programming of the steering wheel controller or it is set from the factory?
Which buttons on the steering wheel do what on your car?

So... I can't help with the power to the camera, you'll have to check that yourself.

I DID however have issues with the PAC when I first installed it, that the reverse signal and illumination signal didn't work. After a lot of messing around and connecting/disconnecting, they DID start to work, but I don't know why (I didn't end up changing anything). It may be that it needs some time to Sync with the car... or you could try pulling and reseating the plugs a couple of times into the PAC(??). Also note, you use the Orange wire for the illumination signal (not the Orange/White that is says in the PAC instructions!). You DID set the 'select' rotary switch to 3 on the PAC right (for Kenwood)? No other PAC programming is necessary (except for the paragraph below).

As for the phone buttons and voice command buttons, yes they kinda work by default, except the Voice button is 'mute' and the Phone End button works as 'play' (huh?). I did reprogram mine for a couple of functions - see the attached spreadsheet. Original (default) functions at the top in column B, while my reprogrammed functions are highlighted in cols C & D for short and long press respectively. Exact programming steps I used are listed in Row 28 & on. Note these steps are for the way I programmed mine, yours will vary if you choose different functions.

View attachment Post_SteeringWhl.xls

Thank you for answering my questions.
The rotary switch, is set to #3.
Initially, I did not had the Kenwood connected to the PAC, when I plugged in the PAC to the car's connector.
I'm wondering, if this may have caused some bad programming in the PAC adapter. I may clear it and reprogram it again.
The three buttons (pick up/hang up and voice) do not work at all.
The backup wire(reverse) from Kenwood, did you connect it to the PAC adapter?
I don't understand, why it's not working?
My biggest problem is with all this, that I don't have a schematic to understand where everything is connected too.
I may make one, to "see" better the whole picture.

Last edited:
Also note, you use the Orange wire for the illumination signal (not the Orange/White that is says in the PAC instructions!).

I saw your spreadsheet regarding interconnects on the AVH-4000NEX install thread, and I noticed that on my PAC RP4-MZ11 that there is an orange wire connected between the Interface connector (connects to SWC module) and Vehicle connector (connects to Mazda OEM connector). Do I splice the illumination wire from the head unit into this wire that is shared between the two connectors? From your interconnects spreadsheet, it seemed like there should be an orange wire coming out of the Interface connector that should be floating and I just wanted to clarify that it is in fact connected to the Vehicle connector as well. I know to insulate the orange/white wire from the Vehicle connector and not use it at all.

I don't understand, PAC why does not give us some schematic.
I have noticed that there is a new interface and they have an app in the Play store to set it up. In that app will give you which wire to connect to your specific car.
I don't know, if that diagram applies to our interface as well or not.
Check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaDNzHvTvSk

@Sterling: The illumination orange wire is the one that dangles from the 'Interface Connector' of the PAC unit. The instructions say it's Orange/White, but mine (at least) was plain orange. You can see it clearly here, at the bottom left:

x541RP4MZ11-o-1.jpg

@tibimakai: If you follow my connections spreadsheet rows horizontally, you should see what connects to what. Maybe this will be more help as well (though not too clear) - this is my connected harness:

attachment.php

Last edited:
I have repaired the video RCA cable, had a broken hot wire and because of this it did not go in reverse(!). It seems that it needs video signal, otherwise it won't switch.
The backup camera image, is as good as the factory, with the DC-DC converter that I had laying around. It's nice that it has a display and I can set the voltage precisely.
I have also tried using the orange/white wire from the car's big brown connector, same result.
It should turn on and off the Kenwood's button lights, right?
If I measure the bare wires(orange), when I switch the light switch, the voltage changes, from around 1.9V to 12.8V. If I connect it to the Kenwood, nothing changes.
It's almost done, only this orange wire I have to figure out and the phone buttons I have to program.
Then comes, the fine tuning of the amps, with oscilloscope. It will be done properly.
After that, I will have to move to the back and figure out the subwoofer installation.
After that is done, I will have to run a 8 gauge wire from under the driver's seat distributor, all the way to the back of the car, to hook up an inverter.

If I measure the bare wires(orange), when I switch the light switch, the voltage changes, from around 1.9V to 12.8V. If I connect it to the Kenwood, nothing changes.
So the wire is working then, that's good. As for the Kenwood end, I think the only effect is that the screen dims when the lights are on (to avoid blinding you at night). I don't think (though I could be wrong) that it affects the buttons.

RedBaron: I'm looking at my Interface connector right now and there's no orange wire at all coming out of it. Only orange wires at all are an orange/white on the Vehicle connector, and the orange/white coming from the Pioneer. I'm on hold with PAC right now to ask about this.

Could you please look at yours tonight, to see what is doing?
I would like to put back everything later on today.
Thank you.

Mine, has the orange wire. Kenwood has the orange/white wire and the vehicle also has the orange/white wire. When I measure the interface's orange wire and the vehicle's orange/white wires, they measure the same. Basically, switches on and off the 12V.

After talking to a PAC rep via phone about the RP4-MZ11 harness, he said that there should only be one orange/white wire coming out of the vehicle connector and no orange wire coming out of the interface connector. Multiple times I kept saying that the instruction manual said that there should be an orange wire connected to the interface connector, but he kept saying no there shouldn't, kinda giving me the tone that I'm being stupid. After explaining a 3rd time and getting shot down repeatedly, I gave up. I just went ahead and connected the Pioneer connector's orange/white wire to the vehicle connector's orange/white wire, and the illumination now works fine. So I don't know if there are different versions of the harness out there, since mine is different than the others who posted here. But nonetheless got it working and all is good to go.

After talking to a PAC rep via phone about the RP4-MZ11 harness, he said that there should only be one orange/white wire coming out of the vehicle connector and no orange wire coming out of the interface connector. Multiple times I kept saying that the instruction manual said that there should be an orange wire connected to the interface connector, but he kept saying no there shouldn't, kinda giving me the tone that I'm being stupid. After explaining a 3rd time and getting shot down repeatedly, I gave up. I just went ahead and connected the Pioneer connector's orange/white wire to the vehicle connector's orange/white wire, and the illumination now works fine. So I don't know if there are different versions of the harness out there, since mine is different than the others who posted here. But nonetheless got it working and all is good to go.
So, it's good that you got this working. I guess you're saying that your PAC harness does NOT look like the one below? In which case, yes, maybe they changed it.

x541RP4MZ11-o-1.jpg

Could you please look at yours tonight, to see what is doing?
I would like to put back everything later on today.
Thank you.
Sorry - didn't see this 'til now :(

Just went out and checked mine (Kenwood DDX491HD). The button lights turn ON when the ignition is turned on (as does the screen, of course). When the lights are turned on, both the button lights dim and the screen dims.

Hope that helps.

No problem, did not have time to work on it anyway.
Thank you for doing that.
Now, I know what to look for.
Definitely is not doing these, when connected to either wires.
I will have to recheck everything again.

So, it's good that you got this working. I guess you're saying that your PAC harness does NOT look like the one below? In which case, yes, maybe they changed it.

My PAC harness looks exactly like that, the only difference being that mine has no orange wire coming out of the interface connector. Weird, I know.

I had some issues with my PAC as well. On mine the red wire coming from the PAC interface and supposed to be ignition 12+ v supplies continuous 12+v and the pioneer didn't shut off when shutting off the car.
The red wire from Mazda interface did switch off with ignition when going to the PAC module...but when coming from PAC module to pioneer... It is not ignition anymore.
I didn't checked the illumination dimming system...
I think PAC ia having some quality issues as they are not controlling properly the manufacturing.
I finally get a 2nd wire from Mazda interface directly to the pioneer in order to supply ignition power to hu

Enviado desde mi GT-I9300 mediante Tapatalk

My wiring, it was most likely OK the first time, using the orange wire from the SWC. Now, I have it connected at the car's connector's orange/white wire.
I have found my "problem" with my Kenwood, I had the SCR(screen) sync with the NAV and that is why it did not change. If I changed it with Sync, everything worked as Redbaron said earlier.
Since I have all my light always on, I don't notice any difference anyway.
I need to setup my phone/mute buttons on the steering wheel and fine tune my stereo and amps with my oscilloscope.
It's actually a very good thing, using a scope. You can see at what volume start the clipping, so you know not to exceed that volume level, same goes with the amps. Gains can be set properly, to avoid clipping and match it with my stereo.

I tried setting up the buttons, but I've got stuck.
It's not very intuitive. to say the least.
There are different charts on different pages, in a chart there are only a couple of functions, in another there are 14 functions.
There is setup procedure and there is a reset procedure. When do you use one and when the other?
I have tried using Redbaron's sequence, but it did not work out.
They say, if you want to change another button, you have to repeat step #3, which is pushing the button. It's very confusing. Why this company doesn't have a video on how to do it, at least an example for the RP4.
I have managed to switch button's functions around, but I have no idea on what I have done to get to that result.
I have realized, that the three phone buttons don't work at all. LED does not blink, when I push them. What could be the problem?
Installing two amps and replacing the stereo, with all the wiring it was a much easier job to understand, then setting up this SWC.

I'm reading the manual again and I have noticed something that I may have left out.
3. Blue wire in vehicle harness - In the Mazda CX-5, 2013+ CX-9 & 2013+ Mazda 3 with factory navigation, the blue wire in the 24 pin vehicle
harness needs to be connected to the green/white wire in the 16-pin RP harness. This is necessary for the Bluetooth SWC to function with
the aftermarket radio. In all other applications this wire should be connected to the aftermarket radios power antenna output.
I don't have factory navigation, so I should connect the car's blue wire to the Kenwood's power antenna wire(I believe that is also blue)?

Back