Any Complaints (hopefully all minor)

Dangerously hot pipes in cabin. Beware!

I was driving my buddy around today (first time I actually had a passenger in the CX-5). He's a tall fellow (6ft something), and was stretching out since we were on an extended cruise, when he recoiled rapidly and yelled at me that my car had shocked him.

I was very confused and was like, well don't try to touch whatever you did before. When we arrived at our destination, we looked a little closer underneath the glove box and found that it wasn't that he'd been shocked, but that he touched a RIDICULOUSLY HOT tube that for some reason is present, unprotected, underneath the dash on the passenger side. Check out the red arrows on the attached photo.

I assume these are maybe part of the engine coolant system?? What I don't understand is why it's so easy to touch them. If you sit normally in the passenger seat and stretch out in any reasonable way for a taller person it's not difficult at all to come into contact with these tubes.

This frankly is dangerous. This tubing is really really reeeeally hot. You'll get burned bad if you touch them for even a full second.

Is my car missing some shielding that is present on anyone else's CX-5s? If no, be careful where passengers with bare feet place them under the dash. I'm definitely going to talk to my dealer about this one because it's just begging for someone to be seriously hurt.

Attachments

• IMG_0103.jpg
    IMG_0103.jpg
    497.4 KB · Views: 529
I was driving my buddy around today (first time I actually had a passenger in the CX-5). He's a tall fellow (6ft something), and was stretching out since we were on an extended cruise, when he recoiled rapidly and yelled at me that my car had shocked him.

I was very confused and was like, well don't try to touch whatever you did before. When we arrived at our destination, we looked a little closer underneath the glove box and found that it wasn't that he'd been shocked, but that he touched a RIDICULOUSLY HOT tube that for some reason is present, unprotected, underneath the dash on the passenger side. Check out the red arrows on the attached photo.

I assume these are maybe part of the engine coolant system?? What I don't understand is why it's so easy to touch them. If you sit normally in the passenger seat and stretch out in any reasonable way for a taller person it's not difficult at all to come into contact with these tubes.

This frankly is dangerous. This tubing is really really reeeeally hot. You'll get burned bad if you touch them for even a full second.

Is my car missing some shielding that is present on anyone else's CX-5s? If no, be careful where passengers with bare feet place them under the dash. I'm definitely going to talk to my dealer about this one because it's just begging for someone to be seriously hurt.

Good observation! Though I can't see where exactly that locates. Can you provide a broader picture? I may check it later.

This is what my driver seat looked like this morning. I'm not applying that much pressure, but the seat was popping out very easily. Getting in the car obviously made the problem worse with my leg rubbing up against the bolster, but it shouldn't be popping out after a week. The front of the seat was also lifting with minimal pressure.

They installed the fix today (redesigned clips), and there's much less give (if at all), and I'm optimistic it won't be popping out again anytime soon. The fix came directly from Mazda's Techline, so if you go in to your dealer with this problem, they should know about it, or be able to find out about it very easily.

photo3qv.jpg

Bumping this post up because it has best pic for showing seat problem.

it appears to only affect the cloth seats. at least nobody has mentioned this problem with the leather yet.

this flaw appears on both sides of driver and passenger front seats. Back seats are ok.

Last edited:
Peskeguy It appears that the tubes take hot coolant to the heater part of the climate control, mine are also exposed! I put some soft black foam above the shield to cover mine based on your tip. MAZDA, The plastic shield needs to be LARGER and go to the firewall!!!

Good observation! Though I can't see where exactly that locates. Can you provide a broader picture? I may check it later.

I attached a more zoomed out photo so you can see where I'm looking. This is passenger side under the dash. There's a plastic shield (outlined in yellow) that they put there to try to cover it up, but as you can see in the first photo, it doesn't cover them up at the back end where they run through the firewall.

IMG_0106.jpg

Peskeguy It appears that the tubes take hot coolant to the heater part of the climate control, mine are also exposed! I put some soft black foam above the shield to cover mine based on your tip. MAZDA, The plastic shield needs to be LARGER and go to the firewall!!!

Thanks Gaxibm, at least I know it's not just me. Yeah they obviously put the shield there in attempt to cover it, but as you say it's not extensive enough protection and it was hot enough that it could definitely hurt someone if they're unlucky enough to touch it.

Wind buffeting is normal for many cars

I'm very unhappy about the wind buffeting with the rear windows down. It's beyond loud, it's actually painful, pounding ear drums. Has anyone talked to Mazda (dealer service or corporate) about this problem?
Many cars do this. To avoid it you have to open more windows, sometimes just cracking them open is enough. For any particular window or combination of windows and how far open they are, there will be certain configurations that create the 'inside of a drum' effect and some that won't. You just have to experiment. For the combinations that are painful, as the doctor says, "don't do that." I suspect it would be just about impossible and not worth it to design a car with aerodynamics such that there was never this effect with any permutation of open windows.

I just installed the window guards and it did not help when the fronts are all the way up and the rears are all the way down. They do however reduce the amount of wind flow and reduces volume (to the driver) when you crack the fronts to equalize pressure.
Ill add or start a new thread with pictures on this eventually.

Bumping this post up because it has best pic for showing seat problem.
This is exactly what happened to mine (cloth). It takes a bit of force but you can pull the plastic back and re clip these in. Being that I did this twice on the driver side and once on the passenger side, it was easiest when I unclipped the whole bottom cushion. When re-clipping I started nearest the center console moving towards which ever door.
When I enter the car and my leg pushes over on the side support, I always just reach down and make sure that side doesn't start it up again,

I'm not sure if I should weigh in on this yet, I've only had my CX-5 for about 2 weeks, but I have not had any hood or mirror vibration. Today I made sure when I was on the freeway to get up to 80mph and leaned up and forward to check out the hood, there was nothing. Then I checked out the side mirror and while there was a tiny bit of movement on the mirror part itself, it was nothing I would have noticed had I not been staring at it for a bit longer than I would in normal driving.

I attached a more zoomed out photo so you can see where I'm looking. This is passenger side under the dash. There's a plastic shield (outlined in yellow) that they put there to try to cover it up, but as you can see in the first photo, it doesn't cover them up at the back end where they run through the firewall.

View attachment 195326

Thanks Gaxibm, at least I know it's not just me. Yeah they obviously put the shield there in attempt to cover it, but as you say it's not extensive enough protection and it was hot enough that it could definitely hurt someone if they're unlucky enough to touch it.

I'm also tall at 6'3" and almost burned the top of my foot while stretching out.

I'm not sure if I should weigh in on this yet, I've only had my CX-5 for about 2 weeks, but I have not had any hood or mirror vibration. Today I made sure when I was on the freeway to get up to 80mph and leaned up and forward to check out the hood, there was nothing. Then I checked out the side mirror and while there was a tiny bit of movement on the mirror part itself, it was nothing I would have noticed had I not been staring at it for a bit longer than I would in normal driving.

What I've noticed isn't that bad. On mine, there is a slight vibration in the mirror. It only bothered me when I was trying to figure out what model of car was a quarter mile behind me. It's there, but it's only a "problem" if you have OCD. But if they have a fix for it, that's cool too. Maybe it's a lot worse on some others?

The hood on mine will flex/shake for a second... but only occasionally under pressure from a heavy wind gust, such as passing a truck on a two lane road. 99.9% of the time it just sits there perfectly fine

washing my car yesterday was scrubbing bugs off pax mirror housing and two small spots of paint came off....

The booming with the rear windows rolled down is common to many vehicles... as mentioned, don't do that. lol Cracking a front window is usually enough to cure the sonic boom-boom

The wind buffeting is a normal issue in many newer cars. I believe it has to do with aerodynamics. Not sure though. You just need to tilt the sunroof to equalize pressure.

I do not have my CX-5 yet, hopefully this week. On my 2009 Honda Accord I can avoid buffeting by lowering my driver's window to appropriate height, then lowering the rear passenger side window until there is a gentle flow from rear to front. Now as far as all windows down, it's eother a hat or massive amounts of hairspray, but then I'm bald, so..........................

I HAVE a CX-5 and do the same thing - and for similar reasons, i keep our 'moon roof' clossed....(canada)

Maybe is just me (I’m very easygoing) but I think that some people may be exaggerating a little with some of these “issues”. The side mirror thing I don’t know what the big deal is, all I see is some very little vibration and 98% of the time I’m driving looking through the front windshield so you don’t even notice it and there is no noise related to it. The hood well I’ve looked and looked and I can’t see the vibration issue and if it really starts vibrating after 85mph I have other things to worry about than the hood vibrating if I’m driving those speeds around here.

Maybe the problem is worst for others, or gets worst with time. The mirror vibration can be noisy with the window down and no music... If you notice it a little, might as well get it fixed while they are willing to do so.

As for the hood, mine is showing a little bump where the hook is located underneath, if they only need to tighten something up, I don't mind bringing it in.

I am sure that Mazda counts on the first owners of CX-5 to report those problems so they can fix them on next manufactured/future models, it is something I accepted when I went for a brand new model.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back