Thoughts about wheel upgrades

I think the 22s look ridiculous. The biggest I would go is 20s. However I'd prefer doing 19s and a drop.

No kidding, most of us car enthusiasts know 22's on a CX-5 are just a style thing.

Flatlander937 I get your point and it does make total sense, I'm not going with 22's for any kind of performance mod, pure looks.

Where I dont agree is comparing it to impalas or Lincoln's, for you to fit 22's on a car you need to go with a ridiculously low profile tire, this is not the case with an SUV/CUV.

Are you saying that everybody that buys an Escalade with stock 22's returns that too?

Uh... a CX-5 curb weight is around 3300lbs... Impala is about 3500lbs(08ish body style), and Lincoln LS is about 3600-3700lbs.

Your Escalade(2010ish since those are the body style which come with 22s) which you seem to think is closer to a CX-5 weighs 5700lbs+.

The CX-5 is more car than it is SUV weight and handling-dynamics-wise.

Ride quality is all about unsprung weight vs sprung weight. More sprung = better ride. Less unsprung = better ride.

You are correct about the tire sidewall being a bit taller on a CX-5 vs the other cars... but weight is what will make the biggest difference. Tire choice can help or kill ride quality as well.

Do what you want. I'm not stopping you... just making you think about it.

FWIW, I don't know what exact size tire you're looking to go with, but Continental makes a phenomenal tire in some of the ridiculous 22in sizes in the ExtremeContact DWS... those tires flat out kick ass in all conditions when it comes to rain and even snow. Multiple coworkers of mine run them all season long in our Ohio winters without trouble... sometimes 6-10in of snow and there's no problem unless you're real stupid with it. I am sure that your Canada winters are far worse, but if you want something that would do pretty well, it is a great tire in my experience... assuming you don't want some studded 22s (lol)

Last edited:
Tacking onto what flatlander is saying, most people don't realize the impact of larger wheels on other components in the vehicle. Increasing the weight of your wheels will increase loading throughout the car. I work for a tier 1 automotive supplier and we've had instances where even the OEM changed to a larger wheel size and then our parts started failing. (Engine Related) So as long as you keep that in mind and knowing that your going to prematurely fail components on your vehicle, then have fun!

FWIW, I don't know what exact size tire you're looking to go with, but Continental makes a phenomenal tire in some of the ridiculous 22in sizes in the ExtremeContact DWS... those tires flat out kick ass in all conditions when it comes to rain and even snow. Multiple coworkers of mine run them all season long in our Ohio winters without trouble... sometimes 6-10in of snow and there's no problem unless you're real stupid with it. I am sure that your Canada winters are far worse, but if you want something that would do pretty well, it is a great tire in my experience... assuming you don't want some studded 22s (lol)

In Quebec we have to have REAL winter tires, it is in the Law. I have no doubt the DWS can drive in the snow, but personaly even without the Winter tire act, there is no way I would drive on those in our winters! ;)

I am pretty sure Awmenard will switch back to his 19inch or even 17 (I will ) for winter.

In Quebec we have to have REAL winter tires, it is in the Law. I have no doubt the DWS can drive in the snow, but personaly even without the Winter tire act, there is no way I would drive on those in our winters! ;)

I am pretty sure Awmenard will switch back to his 19inch or even 17 (I will ) for winter.

+1

I had winter tires before the act... no way all seasons can be safe here in Quebec.

Thats correct guys, even if I could I would never drive 22's in the winter.

I'll probably use my 19's or other wheels for the winter.

I might even sell my 19's we will see.

All depends on the price for 19 inch winter tires.

Their is no point in having 3 sets of rims.

My dealer gave me a cap of 800$ for my winter tires. That will be fine to start but what happens after?

Decision decision...

First of all, I am new in this forum. Just a little bit of introduction of me and my CX-5

I am currently residing in Indonesia, but, I used to go to college in Bloomington, Indiana.
I just got my Touring (the best option I can get here for $45k) CX-5 over a week ago and it rides really AWESOME. Definitely one of the best SUVs in term of price.

This is my 2nd Mazda vehicle. Previously I owned and modified my RX-8, so, I exactly understood the trade-offs between comfort/performance and looks.
in this case, my CX-5 is my weekend car so, I acknowledged that I am sacrificing comfort over the looks when I installed my 22x9.5 +45 285/35/22 rims and tires combo.

Haven't tried it to take it on the highway yet but, just a normal 30-45MPH driving, I could barely noticed the difference than when it was stock.

Now, after reading some of the posts I kinda feel bad that I might shorten my suspension life or any other inter-connected parts with my 22" rims. The only positive thing is that I only drive around 50-75 miles perweek with this car.

But, oh well, money was already spent and there is nothing else i could do except to just enjoy my decision.

In my opinion, 22" definitely looks awesome but if this is your daily car, you might want to rethink of putting 22" rims.

Now, let the pictures do the talking and hopefully could be some kind of help to anyone of you who plans to install 22" rims.
Sorry for the crappy Iphone pictures.

BTW, I am planning to lower my car around 1-1.5" too if you guys have any reliable reference.

PS: I changed my interior with Autoleder Coral red and it does not interfere with any of the safety features.

Attachments

• CX 5.jpg
    CX 5.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 3,300
  • CX 5 (1).jpg
    CX 5 (1).jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 2,751
Last edited:
Looks pretty good but too big IMO. I think 20's on this car would be perfect. I like the rim choice though and the interior is really awesome too.

Looking good, variations on black or graphite wheels work well on CX-5. The CX-5 has lots of black trim that complements dark wheels (including front grill, lower front bumper, lower rear bumper, wheel lip moldings, lower door sills, window trim, dark rear window tint), and minimal chrome.

I sorta agree that 22' is kinda too big. I should've installed bigger and thicker rubber.

I was looking for 21" the other day but, that size was rare and kinda expensive.

it might look better because I am going to paint the fenders and the sideskirts(is it?) to match with the body color.
I am assuming if I do that, it might give the illusion that the body is bigger, thus balancing the wheels and the body size.

also, I am looking into lowering it but, couldn't get any after market springs or coilovers.

Is it possible to fit bigger rubber on it? I think thats where my issue is they are too low profile for an suv. Id rather do more rubber than lower it if you can without rubbing.

I was saying if I could do 21" then probably I'll be choosing something like 285/45/21 then I'll lower it.

but finding the right 21" wheels are a pain in the ass and wallet.

with my setup right now, I don't have any issue with rubbing or whatsoever. It might be different if I lower it.

Last edited:
Is it possible to fit bigger rubber on it? I think thats where my issue is they are too low profile for an suv. Id rather do more rubber than lower it if you can without rubbing.

More rubber would be taller tire with taller sidewall, and the rolling diameter would be taller than stock, essentially raising final drive ratio.

Not recommended with a vehicle of modest power, acceleration would get significantly slower. Also speedometer would read low (not accruate).

Last edited:
can you post a side shot of the 22s to see if they are flush or sticking out?

can you post a side shot of the 22s to see if they are flush or sticking out?

I would also like to see that.
A 9.5 width wheel would be great to get. I was thinking 8.5 or 9 would have ben the max

I think it looks great! Would love to see more shots of the rims from different angle. Any rubbing issues in front or back? If this were me to keep the 22" rims I would try to squeeze more rubber than lower it unless you have some nice smooth roads and this is primarily a show/town car. It would look pretty sick lowered if it fit.
Similar size overall to what you have for 20" rims would be 255/50r20 with 1mm less width being the most significant difference. MA
I like it!!!

22's look amazing defenetly wanna see more pics, I didnt think that wide a rim and tire would fit... This opens a bunch more possibilitys, as well this makes me beleive I will be able to fit the fx50 rims I was looking at,

They are 21" x 9.5, I would probably go with a 265 tires.

Please more pics of other angles.

Latest posts

Back