Thoughts about wheel upgrades

awmenard

:
Mazda cx5
Hello All,

I will be picking up my white CX-5 GT tomorrow, me and the wife are thinking about getting some aftermarket rims for are CX-5.

My questions is... Are 22's just too much? The way I see it going from 19's to 20's is not much of an upgrade size wise. It will give me a different look but... 21's is a hard size to find and will cust alot more then 22's.

Anyone else thinking about upgrading you wheel/tire package? If yes what are your plans.

p.s: I've seen many discussion go ugly about the same kind of debate(should I upgrade to 22's?) in many other forums, I hope people on here wont bash me for asking this question. I know different people have different taste. So keep that in mind.

Thank in advance.

Anyone else thinking about upgrading your wheel/tire package?

While we are waiting for them, I'm pondering a wheel/tire downgrade. The 19" rims and low profile tires of the GT are not appropriate for the rough roads of Arizona where I'll be taking my CX-5 diesel, when the time comes. Maybe I'll be able to find somebody wanting to trade up.

Keep in mind 22's will add a lot of unsprung weight to the car....You may not like what it does to the handling of what seems a VERY well balanced car.
When it comes to wheel/tire packages, lighter is always better in my experience. Feel is better because the shocks/springs have less weight to handle as well as less rotational mass (which takes more horsepower to spin). Performance all around will likely be degraded some.

Last edited:
Keep in mind 22's will add a lot of unsprung weight to the car....You may not like what it does to the handling of what seems a VERY well balanced car.
When it comes to wheel/tire packages, lighter is always better in my experience. Feel is better because the shocks/springs have less weight to handle as well as less rotational mass (which takes more horsepower to spin). Performance all around will likely be degraded some.

Thanks for the info, I also have to keep that in mind, would want to make the vehicule uncomfortable to drive all that for looks.

I guess the first thing will be to see how it actually drives after having it for a couple of days :)

my suggestion is lower the vehicle first, then shop for some lightweight wheels. lots of good enkeis around, also OZ make some light wheels for semi-affordable money. 22s with big wheel gap will look pure tool for sure. wheel gap should be your priority imho. if you like bling, check out SBC finish on certain enkeis.

I bet 20s would look pretty good, but 22s might be a hare too much IMHO. Too much -not by looks - but by performance, which has already been mentioned. Good luck in your hunt, I hope you find what you're looking for. Do you not like the 19s? Or are you after a different size anyways?

22s in Montreal will be too much in my opinion. There are too many pot holes and low profile tires dont offer much protection for your wheels.

The 19's are nice, just looking to upgrade to something different, if lowering springs come out could go thst route with 20's.

Im just not a big fan of the wheel gap, i find that the cx5 has a nice aggressive look.

With a little drop it will be perfect IMO.

Thanks for all the feedback .

Anyone taught of upgrading to 20's?

Purchased my cx-5 2 weeks ago.
I'm looking at some 20"s myself.
Can't lower it :/ the wife won't let me do that mod; she hated how my speed rode.

My only question would be; how wide can the wheel be and what would be the best offset?

If we get new wheels we are pry going with 19x8.5 with an offset of 35-42. with 235/55R19 tires.

Purchased my cx-5 2 weeks ago.
I'm looking at some 20"s myself.
Can't lower it :/ the wife won't let me do that mod; she hated how my speed rode.

My only question would be; how wide can the wheel be and what would be the best offset?

slapping 20s on your car without a drop will look dreadful. if you're not gonna drop it, put some 17s on there and increase the rubber, omho. def. post pics.

^^ couldnt I increase the rubber on the 20"s.
The gt comes with 19"s and I don't believe that it looks too bad.

^^ couldnt I increase the rubber on the 20"s.

That will change the ultimate final drive ratio and the car will be slower. YOu want to maintain a similar overall radius, So larger wheels require rubber with a shorter sidewall to maintain the same factory ratios. Nothing looks sillier on a car than low profile rubber and a big wheel gap...

I calculated and even 22's will retain the same radius as the 19's. I couldn't imagine it looking silly.

I guess to each there own

Last edited:
I calculated and even 22's will retain the same radius as the 19's.

That's what I mean. It will need to be lowered to look good. The car, stock, has huge wheel gap.

That's a look we see in the "Hood" here a lot if that's the look you're going for..

Last edited:
I'm looking at 235/55/20.
I don't see how that's low profile at all.
I know 50 would be more efficient but 55 would only make the gear ratio off my 3% if I'm not mistaken. Also if I am able to lower it then that would close on the wheel gap.

20"s IMHO would be perfect. I'm just intrested in knowing if 20x9 would fit. Make it look flush. :)

Im looking for OEM 19"s , currently on the oem 17". Im willing to trade, my wheels/tires are in perfect condition as i just bought my cx5 yesterday. I dont want to lose TirePressure sensor so thats reason i want to stay OEM. let me know if anyone is interested vincey2kr1@yahoo.com or call 620-506-2486 .. im kansas/oklahoma border and willing to drive to save shipping.

Ohhhh nice , WEll im still open for trades if anyone is interested!? Wondering what the oem wheel weights are.

Back