killed a MSP...literally..

i never had VTCS on the MSP either and never threw a cell, so FIXED.

WRONG!! The MSP wiring harness is setup for VTCS, so the ECU has a signal from the solenoid to keep it happy even if you removed the butterflies in the manifold. The MP3 however never came with VTCS, so Mazda never even bothered running a wire to the ECU cuz it wouldn't be plugged into anything. If you put a MSP ECU into the MP3, the MP3 will lack the pin for the VTCS solenoid, and without a signal from the solenoid the ECU will throw a CEL.

To fix it, you will need to install a pin into the ECU plug and extend the wire to the VTCS solenoid ground, then tap power from either the VICS solenoid or wherever else you find a switched power source.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123748013

You're welcome..

you would rather pull a whole engine, then just pull the turbo setup?
idk about you, but i can pull a turbo assembly off in 30 minutes, compared to pulling a motor out which takes hours

hes also going to need windage tray i think its called and s***. id rather throw the engine to the msp just to say i have a built msp... which i do =]

WRONG!! The MSP wiring harness is setup for VTCS, so the ECU has a signal from the solenoid to keep it happy even if you removed the butterflies in the manifold. The MP3 however never came with VTCS, so Mazda never even bothered running a wire to the ECU cuz it wouldn't be plugged into anything. If you put a MSP ECU into the MP3, the MP3 will lack the pin for the VTCS solenoid, and without a signal from the solenoid the ECU will throw a CEL.

To fix it, you will need to install a pin into the ECU plug and extend the wire to the VTCS solenoid ground, then tap power from either the VICS solenoid or wherever else you find a switched power source.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123748013

You're welcome..
hehehe
that makes sense, i thought you were referring to having a cel on the MSP

i don't need to bring the cable to the engine bay, i just install the solenoid close by the ECU and that's it.

hes also going to need windage tray i think its called and s***. id rather throw the engine to the msp just to say i have a built msp... which i do =]
nop, the MP3 used to be turbo before (GT28RS)
so the oil pan is already tapped for the oil return line...instant win :)

thnx

I say get a new turbo, 28rs, and slap it in to the mp3. Keep the msp stock. But i agree with everyone. Should swap engines. But thats a lot of work. what does the built motor have?

built motor:
arias pistons
pauter rods
8.5:1
stage 2 clutch balanced with flywheel and crankshaft

i did not have the time to do an engine swap

hehehe
that makes sense, i thought you were referring to having a cel on the MSP

i don't need to bring the cable to the engine bay, i just install the solenoid close by the ECU and that's it.

Yeah that's what I did. I just kept the solenoid under the plate next to the ECU and tapped power from the same wire supplying power to my AFC. The thread I linked you to has everything you need to know.

And again.. if you need a couple ECU pins send me a couple bucks and I'll send you like 5 of them.

What's the big deal its the same platform only the MP3 has been beefed up and it's in better overall condition. Seems logical to me.

What if anything was done to the head, oem rebuild or performance rebuild? And what about the transaxle?

the swap is done
all that is left to do is install the exhaust, which will be done today
i ran it open downpipe yesterday, s*** was loud as ****!

anyways, needs a tune and probably bigger injectors

There is a set of deatschworks 440 in the FS section for $200. Pm jspeed2121 t

Last edited:
i don't have the money yet

ohh and i fixed the car
runs so nice now
idles perfect
18 vaccum
boosting 8 solid pounds

pulled on a audi tt on the highway :)
not that they are fast or anything

Back