ALL Unichip Questions / Problems

Hey just trash it and get a manual boost controller just set it as low as you can and turn it up as you get to the boost you want.

This works, I know. I had to do that after the other one spiked past 21psi and blew my motor the first time.!

See Y'all would of had all this information if the mods would not have been corup. The UniJunk has blown up quit a few motors .

JDM knows he's one of the mods from way back.

Last edited:
question time:

I got a WB and stuffed it in the car I noticed right off the bat that at idle and light cruise the afr's are nice at ~14.7 but what wories me a little is that when I step on it and the loop switches from closed to open for boosting the AFR's with spike to 15-16 for a second before dropping to 9-10 then stabilizing to 12-13.

Should I be concerned about this?

Also if I'm on the highway and I let off the gas the WB goes off the chart lean. again is this problematic?

I did notice this thread from a while back http://protege5.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123628881 with a similar symptom but no conclusion

ideas?

question time:

I got a WB and stuffed it in the car I noticed right off the bat that at idle and light cruise the afr's are nice at ~14.7 but what wories me a little is that when I step on it and the loop switches from closed to open for boosting the AFR's with spike to 15-16 for a second before dropping to 9-10 then stabilizing to 12-13.

Should I be concerned about this?

Also if I'm on the highway and I let off the gas the WB goes off the chart lean. again is this problematic?

I did notice this thread from a while back http://protege5.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123628881 with a similar symptom but no conclusion

ideas?

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123753427

going lean after letting off the gas is normal, the other, not so much.

I've been looking heavily into buying the Unichip PnP after all the positives that I have heard about it (and some bad) just thought if anyone on here was in the same boat im in they would appreciate this: use coupon code: "SWEETDEAL" at checkout on the unichip website for a %10 discount. Also, if anyone on here has actually installed one of these and could give us some real world results, i have seen there claims of 33hp and 32 tq, is that for real or is that under perfect conditions! thanks for the input that anyone could give on this!!!

quick unichip question.

so i ordered a unichip, be here soon hopefully...
just wondering, does anyone run the 10psi map with the stock smic?
that is in my opinion the one thing i really really need to upgrade before touching the boost, but to my understanding unichip tuned it on a stock msp for 10psi "Safely". just wondering...

I've had my Unichip for couple months, haven't used the boost controller with it except the one time i did and i found out they had it set for 14 psi, haven't sent it back to be programmed for 10 psi yet

So, Unichip installed today. It is driving like s*** so I will be getting it tuned. It is hesitating like crazy and the fuel cut/bucking is unbearable.

What I would like to know is, can the fuel cut/bucking issues be fixed with a tune?

a lot of them seem to do that... my first one never did on my yellow car, it was wicked!!! but i bought one used for my spicy and had nothing but problems with it... it ran super rich and bogged a lot then in the end caught on fire. lucky i didnt have it under the carpet yet or i probably would have lost the car. thing seemed very temperamental

my buddy bought one brand new on his 03.5 and his also bucked and hit fuel cut and was unbearable to drive so he took it out

it shouldnt run like that.. they are supposed to be plug and play.

try and get it tuned though since it will make it a new car if it works.. when it works, it works amazing!

So it is a noticeable upgrade? When I took it out for a drive after I didn't notice any power gain and it definitely wasn't smoother. Keep in mind it was previously installed in another MSP with different mods. There is a local shop that will be tuning it for me and I am hoping that's all it needs and that it will be worth it in the end.

So..I took my car to get a tune and they charged me $50.00 to tune it to my specific mods which are in my sig. They told me afterwards that it will cost an additional $80.00 to tune it for my specific vehicle. What they meant by this was certain things such as a relocated MAF that Unichip doesn't provide a map for. This vehicle specific tune will take up to 2-hours. Meanwhile, I am driving a car that is hesitating and bucking with a CEL. Are they feeding me BS or is this legit?

i got mine custom tuned by Mike at DL Motorsports in Burlington and it was tuned on a dyno. the car actually runs like a champ after that. BUT maybe the Unichip isnt working right and a tune wont help... my second one never ran right, although i never got it tuned but out of the box it was s***.

try a tune, see how it works. Try Mike out, hes done a couple of our msps from TOProtege and knows me quite well. although its more expensive since its a full out custom dyno tune for your specific car... its def worth it in the end. the best mod you can do to your car!

he tuned my yellow msp when i finished the first turbo build which made 286whp on a stock block tuned with a unichip.

Wow. There is a dyno tuner here, in Ottawa. Are they capable of tuning my car with a Unichip or do they have to have the specific "software"?

Yeah, I was thinking so. If they are a certified Unichip tuner, do they stand by their work with any form of warranty?

So, everything is done. Tune is complete and car is no longer stalling or bucking. I must say the EBC isn't very consistent but the car definitely pulls strong and is worth the time/money.

Back