2016~2023 Would you be interested in glare-reducing, wide angle convex side mirror glass replacements?

sm1ke

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature
Contributor
:
Canada
Please refer to this thread that was started in the CX-5 subforum. It turns out that the 2nd gen CX-5 and 2nd gen CX-9 share the same part number for the door mirror glass. If you are interested in glare-reducing convex side mirror glass, please visit this thread and show your interest!

Forgot to mention that pricing is as of now, unannounced, and that the mirror glass will be compatible with heated, BSM-enabled units.

Does anyone know if these are spherical or aspherical? Spherical mirrors make everything look smaller. Correctly made aspherical mirrors show closer targets as larger, farther away targets are smaller, and greatly increase the width of the view. The now-closed company Multivex made great aspherical mirrors...let's hope someone is again producing such mirrors.

Based on the Suma Performance mirrors installed on my 2016 MX-5, I would say they are aspherical.

The actual glass is flat but the targets are easy to gauge as far as distances are concerned.

The images are slightly smaller but the angle is great. I have no problem determining whether the vehicles behind me are very close or much farther away when changing lanes, etc......

The spot mirrors on my CX-5 have convex glass and are difficult to tell dimensions. In other words, they are the same as all spot mirrors. That's why I love the Suma mirrors.

Even though the view is wide and slightly smaller, everything looks like the real world, making driving so much safer, especially in heavy traffic.

One correction that is regarding the title of this thread. The glass is flat but has an extra wide viewing range. As a result, the images are not distorted like they are on convex glass so they don't act like the usual, "Images are farther than they appear", scenario. These are much safer and give you a view the way the world really is in relation to your vehicle.

I currently have those small, spot convex mirrors on my CX-5 and for those of you who have or had the, know how horrible they are. They give you a, somewhat view, of what's happening around your vehicle but are even worse at night. All you can see is a glob of headlights with no way to discern where vehicles are located.

The Suma mirrors are just as accurate at night as they are during daylight hours. The are totally accurate under all conditions.

For those of you who are fence sitting, new owners or just joined this forum, please read this thread. It may save your life but will definitely make your driving more relaxing and safer.

Including this forum as well as the C-X 5 forum, I think we have about 9 commitments so far.

We need at least 15 pairs for Eddy to give the go ahead for production.

These are made of flat, non glare blue tinted glass, very wide angle viewing and will include all of your OEM options such as Defrost and Blind Spot Monitoring.

I am very spoiled with having them on my ND, MX-5 and my wife and I really want them for our CX-5.

They will fit all second generation CX-5 and second generation CX-9 vehicles.

Let's get this going! My wife wouldn't let me make up the difference, even if our budget could handle it.:)

Enhance your driving performance – Suma Performance

Last edited:
One correction that is regarding the title of this thread. The glass is flat but has an extra wide viewing range. As a result, the images are not distorted like they are on convex glass so they don't act like the usual, "Images are farther than they appear", scenario. These are much safer and give you a view the way the world really is in relation to your vehicle.

I currently have those small, spot convex mirrors on my CX-5 and for those of you who have or had the, know how horrible they are. They give you a, somewhat view, of what's happening around your vehicle but are even worse at night. All you can see is a glob of headlights with no way to discern where vehicles are located.

The Suma mirrors are just as accurate at night as they are during daylight hours. The are totally accurate under all conditions.

For those of you who are fence sitting, new owners or just joined this forum, please read this thread. It may save your life but will definitely make your driving more relaxing and safer.

Including this forum as well as the C-X 5 forum, I think we have about 9 commitments so far.

We need at least 15 pairs for Eddy to give the go ahead for production.

These are made of flat, non glare blue tinted glass, very wide angle viewing and will include all of your OEM options such as Defrost and Blind Spot Monitoring.

I am very spoiled with having them on my ND, MX-5 and my wife and I really want them for our CX-5.

They will fit all second generation CX-5 and second generation CX-9 vehicles.

Let's get this going! My wife wouldn't let me make up the difference, even if our budget could handle it.:)

Enhance your driving performance – Suma Performance

Thanks for the clarification - I'll add wide angle to the title, but they are listed as "convex blind spot mirrors" on the website so I'll keep that in there as well.

Here's a video from Suma's website that gives an idea of what to expect when switching from OEM mirrors to these.

I also sent Eddy some links to popular CX-5 FB groups, but I'm not sure if he's reached out to them yet.

Just heard from Eddy at Suma Performance that pre orders are now being taken for the second gen CX-5 and CX-9 OEM mirrors.

He has contacted those who showed interest but there may be more now that don't know about them.

Would you mind posting at the CX-9 site about these? Please see my last statement at the bottom of this post!

They aren't cheap but they are of good quality with all of the extras available such as heating and BSM, plus, both sides are blue tinted, making them excellent for day time use and much better for night driving than our current auto dimming, drivers side only, mirrors. They totally reduce glare while still allowing for perfect sight at night.

As I've said before, I have had them on my MX-5 for a couple of years and am a real believer. I am looking forward to installing them on my 2018, CX-5.

I really don't want any of the CX-5 or CX-9 owners lose a chance to get these.

No, I'm not getting anything out of this with the exception of paying full retail price for a set to install on my CX-5.

I'm just a fan.

P.S.

I just talked to Eddy and he said the second gen CX-5 mirrors are different than the second gen CX-9 mirrors. But he did say the CX-8 are the same as the CX-5.

I checked for myself and the part numbers seem to be the same for the CX-5 and CX-9 second gen models. However, some web sites say just for CX-5, some say, just for CX-9 and others say for both models.

Very confusing, to say the least.

Last edited:
That's great news! Yeah in my research I found that the CX-5 and CX-9 mirrors were the same part number, but maybe he knows something we don't.

I never received an email from Eddy, so I'll send him one now.

Suma says, "Wide angle convex to reduce blind spot." Not flat. Anyway, I like them. I'm thinking about ordering.

Has anyone here who intends to get the first batch of Suma mirrors, not paid yet? If not, I suggest you get that accomplished if you are interested. These mirrors have gone to production.

I really wanted to order a pair, but $271 CAD including shipping is just too much for me, not to mention the possibility of additional charges like duties and taxes. Oh well.

I really wanted to order a pair, but $271 CAD including shipping is just too much for me, not to mention the possibility of additional charges like duties and taxes. Oh well.
I see that the price has been reduced, substantially.

That's saving $46 Cad dollars. Does that help?

Eddy at Performance Mirrors has asked me to tell anyone who got the wrong mirrors to write to him.

Include a pic of the label on the box with your post.

He has promised to fix this issue quickly and apologizes for the screw up.

support@sumaperformance.com

If anyone happened to receive the wrong mirrors, please contact Eddy to get everything sorted out.

Hey @sm1ke, did you end up ordering any of the Suma mirrors?

No I didn't

If anyone happened to receive the wrong mirrors, please contact Eddy to get everything sorted out.

Following up on this, it seems that a few CX-5 owners and at least one CX-9 owner have received the wrong mirrors. See below:

Last edited:
Still no one doing business with Suma have gotten the right or wrong mirrors for their 2nd gen CX-5/CX-9?

I really would like some feedback on a positive or negative note.

It is my assumption that Eddy never got the mirrors for the 2nd generation CX-5 or CX-9 models. The ones he sent out were only for the 1st generation CX-5 models.

Can anyone verify or deny my assumption?

I am very surprised that there isn't a big flurry of anger right now. Or, perhaps everyone has gotten their refunds already.:) Or better yet, there were only 2 of us who got disappointed with Suma.

I am in no way condoning the way Eddy does business, nor am I suggesting that anyone be content with an incorrect product being sent out. Eddy has been very unprofessional and unresponsive in his handling of this whole debacle and I would advise anyone who chooses to do business with him to expect something to go wrong. This is the second set of mirrors I have ordered from him and this is the second set of mirrors that were sent incorrectly. He doesn’t seem to even understand what went wrong despite multiple people sending him pictures. I doubt he will ever be able to produce the correct mirrors because he refuses to admit there was a problem. However, I had a broken mirror and like the added visibility and glare reduction these offer.

After doing some comparison, the gen 1 CX-5 mirrors are ever so slightly smaller than the 2nd gen CX-9 mirrors. The biggest difference is the mounting bracket is about a half inch off on the horizontal axis.
884A689F-8885-47B0-A39B-8C986591D1B9.jpeg

The bracket, as well the plastic surround, is held on with VHB tape. With a sharp knife and a little heat, you can remove the plastic and the bracket. The plastic doesn’t need to go back on as far as I know. I used some VHB tape I had already and stuck the bracket back on but in the same spot the stock one is. Added a little heat to make sure it was really stuck and then installed them.
146A1E3C-1A85-487A-B421-88B3889CF0E6.jpeg
00E2F1FC-D7A6-4AB8-90F2-3C85737D8E1C.jpeg
1FABC441-B460-4792-AD1A-E3D882CB3023.jpeg

Back