Won't Start. Dashboard lights up but not seeing fob (2016 CX-5)

I have a Mazda cx 5 2016 touring. I already changed the car battery and the fob battery. When I go to start the car the brake doesn't go down all the way but the dashboard lights up like I'm not pressing the brake. I don't see on the dash the green icon for the key (which would be red if I was missing the fob). If I hold the fob to the start button it doesn't light up at all. So it recognizes the key enough to start the dash but not enough to start the car?? I tried to see what would happen if I didn't have the fob at all and the dash doesn't light up and I get the red icon telling me there's no key. I just changed the battery so I don't know if that's a cause? Also, some times it will start if I keep trying. What made me change the battery was that I was getting a bunch of warning lights on my dash, traction, engine and low pressure. Then sometimes the triangle with the exclamation point. Thought that would fix that but it didn't. The car wouldn't start before I changed the battery so that's why I thought it might be the battery. So I don't know if I have 2 things going on or not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Did you try the other fob to see if it works the same way or not?

The brake pedal not 'going down all the way' or being hard to press is normal when the vacuum is lost for the brake assist. No worries there as it should go back to normal after the car gets started. It's not preventing the car from starting at least, that's another issue.

Did you check for codes?
20231210_121034.jpg

The brake pedal not 'going down all the way' or being hard to press is normal when the vacuum is lost for the brake assist. No worries there as it should go back to normal after the car gets started. It's not preventing the car from starting at least, that's another issue.

I did try another fob. Replaced the battery in that as well and I get the same thing.

Assuming the brake switch isn't completely knackered, try applying and releasing the brake pedal numerous times. That has temporarily fixed a sticking brake switch. On other cars with that problem I've sprayed electronic contact cleaner around /in the small shaft (on the switch) that is actuated by the brake pedal. Following that was a careful application of a spray lube. The switch isn't visible without looking up under the dash toward the top of the brake pedal. Might be worth a try.

Latest posts

Back