Windshield shade

shadonoz

SkyActiv Member
Contributor
:
State of Jefferson
:
2017 CX-5 GT AWD+
Who's got a good recommendation for a great windshield shade?
Not one of those cheap cardboard or reflective vinyl deals that flake off.
One that fits right.
One that's easy to deploy.
One that's easy to stow.

9tpmx4.jpg

Windshield Sunscreen (bottom of page)

I used OE ones in the past and loved them, but Mazda has moved to a heavy accordion style. I don't care for it. I like the ones that roll up and are lighter weight.

My wife is small and despises the new style - i got one for her CX-3 and will probably ebay it. It is to hard for her to pull it out of the back and manipulate it due to weight.

zkse9j.jpg

I have always used the above type. They have done the job and are inexpensive.

I use the mazda OEM ones on my mazda 3 and now the cx-5 and they're great. The hard folding ones are much more easier and faster to fold/unfold than the roll up ones. I had the roll up ones before and it was annoying rolling them up. Doesn't weigh too much and takes up just as much space (if not less since it folds up thinner) than the roll up ones.

I have the OE but it’s a tight fit and kind of a pain. Covercraft also makes custom fit ones that are nice and I’ve used on pretty much all our other recent vehicles. The only reason I got OE was that Covercraft didn’t have theirs out yet for the gen 2 when we got ours. They do now though.

I've been debating between the Covercraft UVS100 in gold (for my blue CX-5) vs the Carhartt version also made by Covercraft.

Not that I'm so keen on having the Carhartt logo on my sun shade, but I think I like that brown color tone the best and I"m not quite sure what the gold actually looks like in person. Plus, the Carhartt logo'd one is 2 bucks cheaper.

https://www.autoanything.com/driving-accessories/covercraft-windshield-sun-shade

https://www.autoanything.com/windshield-shades-covers/carhartt-sun-shade

Either one comes to about $48, delivered.

I used OE ones in the past and loved them, but Mazda has moved to a heavy accordion style. I don't care for it. I like the ones that roll up and are lighter weight.

My wife is small and despises the new style - i got one for her CX-3 and will probably ebay it. It is to hard for her to pull it out of the back and manipulate it due to weight.

Did you purchase the lead lined model meant to block X-rays or what? ;)

Another vote for Covercraft--had them in my last 3 vehicles and never have let me down in terms of quality, proper fitment and how long they last. They also usually offer some customization ability in terms of the metallic color, although I always go for silver.

Are you sure?

I’ve purchased several cover craft shades over the years and they have all basically been identical materials just different shape based on the vehicle applications . We have the Mazda OE shade and while I would concede it’s similar in design the materials are actually a bit different.

Also ours is a very tight fit and kind of a pain to get in. I haven’t tried the covercraft version for the gen2 CX-5 so even if they aren’t identical the shapes are probably really close and it’s quite possibly a pain as well.

Anyway the OE one and the covercraft are good quality. Unfortunately they need to adjust their template for the GTI as it doesn’t fit around the sensors and seem to be very slow on that so looking for other options for it. Maybe the heat shield that others here are liking.

Just cover up the logo and problem solved :D

Sure, I think I'll purchase a second Carhartt sunshade, then cut out one of the sections from it without the logo, then glue it into place over the logo on the first.

Thanks for the inspiration! :D

Sure, I think I'll purchase a second Carhartt sunshade, then cut out one of the sections from it without the logo, then glue it into place over the logo on the first.

Thanks for the inspiration! :D

(2thumbs)

Back