Wide Auto-x Tires - 245/4X/17

It's crossed my mind to use those studs but then go through and carefully grind them and re cut the nose to shorten them down to what size we'd need. But I take it that ARP number then is the right knurling and so forth for our application?

Yea...it's a GM stud (IIRC) but its as close to stock dimensions as we are going to get. I installed mine a few months ago and they work great. I just went to Discount Tire and picked up some open ended lugnuts.

Yeah... Camaro and a couple other F-Bodies when I checked it... I"m an ARP dealer so easy for me to get :). I'm just an aesthetics geek and wouldn't be able to deal with the lugs sticking out... so I'll grind and recut the ends of them... good thing I have the M12x1.5 die in my set.

Ordered my wheels today.... did it in a 42mm offset. picked up 2 lbs of weight going from 28mm offset to 42mm offset.. so the weight of each rims is 22 lbs... but not bad for a 17x8 for $544 for all 4 shipped.

I'll fit check them without rubber (can return them that way if i need to) and post results on that next week.. hopefully have spacers around then as well... I'll probably race July 29th on my current rubber, but hopefully August and so forth will be on the new stuff.

khaosman said:
Yikes that is pretty hefty!

Agreed, I thought my wheels were heavy! 17.8lbs but the wheel im currently using is a 13.5 or 14.5, i forgot.

Regardless as long as they fit, im sure they will be fine :)

Jeff@Tri-Point said:
Agreed, I thought my wheels were heavy! 17.8lbs but the wheel im currently using is a 13.5 or 14.5, i forgot.

Regardless as long as they fit, im sure they will be fine :)

Yeah he's got plenty of power to spin them, that's for sure :D

I looked around a lot and found that expensive Volks and Kosei's and the like were all running about 17-19 lbs... so 3-5 lbs a corner, while not great, isn't the worst... most other rims I looked at were up around 28 lbs a piece etc... but yeah... rotating mass is not the big concern at this point :). It'd be nice actually to be able to use more of the throttle, better control then the on off 20% range I get to use now. I had an instructor from the Evolution school driving my car last week and the first time he drove it he grabbed second gear and floored it and jumped straight to rev limit so fast he thought he broke something until I assured him he just slipped the tires... :)

TurfBurn said:
I looked around a lot and found that expensive Volks and Kosei's and the like were all running about 17-19 lbs... so 3-5 lbs a corner, while not great, isn't the worst... most other rims I looked at were up around 28 lbs a piece etc... but yeah... rotating mass is not the big concern at this point :). It'd be nice actually to be able to use more of the throttle, better control then the on off 20% range I get to use now. I had an instructor from the Evolution school driving my car last week and the first time he drove it he grabbed second gear and floored it and jumped straight to rev limit so fast he thought he broke something until I assured him he just slipped the tires... :)

I want that kind of power.

rims showed up today... picked up the packages and thought they felt lighter than expected for 22 lbs or whatever... maybe just my optimistic attitude or something... but I weighed them and the individual rims came in at about 19.6 lbs... not too shabby :)

Last edited:
Sounds good. Always better to get lighter than you expected when buying wheels.

Hope they fit well.

Hopefully doing that tonight yet if I have time.... got dishes and the like to do for the wife as well as a few customers to take care of :)

For anyone that ends up interested later... wheels MB Motoring "Weapon" from www.discounttiredirect.com and are 17x8 5x114.3 with 42 offset. Here is what they look like:

mbmwea.br.xl.jpg

Fitted the rims to the car (no tires just yet). got about 7/16" clearance between rim and shock at the front and 5/16" clearance between rim and shock at the rear. So good starting points, just a matter of finding the necessary shim to make it work :)

235/40/17 are a tight fit in the rear with a 7.5" +48mm... I can't imagine a 245 back there without alot of camber help. Even though I cut the edge off my fenders there isn't much room.

The fronts fit without issue. I have some testing to do n the rears. But it looks like it'll work. I trimmed the fender carefully to get extra room, and now i'm going to have to tweak the fender just a little bit to get the last bit of space. Thankfully my suspension is stiff enough that even so I don't think the tire will get up there.... it looks pretty crazy though seeing rubber that big on the car :) I have to get the studs switched around on the hubs to finish and that is the major holdup to the final testing. I did do the initial fitcheck stuff. It would be better/easier for people that don't have coilovers and run stock shocks as the bodies on those would be a fair bit narrower than the JIC bodies.

Back