Why 19" Wheels

Wouldn't trade my 19's for anything! they just make the already good looking CX-5 that much better. All those years driving with 15 and 16's this makes them look puny lol.

I have both 17's and 19's.

The 17's have a 235/65R17 Hankook Dynapro ATM all terrain truck tire on them which has a very wide tread pattern similar to a BFG all terrain and they look really beefy on the CX5.

My 19's have the stock toyos on them and they look pretty puny by comparison.

The 19's look silly on a stock height CX5 to me so I put some H&R sport springs on mine, now it looks perfect. The tires look huge with the 17's and the sport springs. They are my winter tires now but I will probably throw them on when I go up to the UP for mountain bike races in case I want to do some forest road exploring.

They both look good, just different.

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned going to 18"s as an alternative.

Playing Devil's advocate here... One could go to a 225/60/18 as a happy compromise between the 17" and the 19". In that size there are plenty of tire and wheel options that would work for the CX-5.

I have the 19s and prefer the look. The 17" has too much sidewall for me but 18" in a 225/60/18 would be my peference than going to a 17".

So who's dumping stock 19's on a GT to get some aftermarket 18's?

We drove a Touring and GT back-to-back prior to ordering our '15 and found the 17s to be much more responsive and precise steering, especially on irregular road surfaces, which are predominate in back roads around here. The 19s had a much harsher ride and tended to require more steering input for a given turn. Combine that with the much firmer leather seats and it was a no-brainer for us to order the Touring trim level. Yes, we'll spend some of the savings on adding seat heaters ($495) but will still be money ahead.

I think he's talking about an 18 being an alternative to the 19 for a sport or touring.

You are probably right, except OP was talking about dumping 19's on his GT for 17's, so maybe he will consider 18's. In that case my reply is still the same, don't bother.

Upgraded my ride to 19" gt rims. Still have the 17" touring rims with 2200 miles on them if anyone is interested.

Upgraded my ride to 19" gt rims. Still have the 17" touring rims with 2200 miles on them if anyone is interested.

Vasichkin:

Check with OP, he might want them. Also they are popular for those in snow country wanting to have extra set of winter tire/wheels.

I assume your 19's have the standard Toyo tires on them. What's your impressive of ride/handling/comfort/noise (NVH) after the change?

I might be interested but beware I will lowball the s*** out of you like I'm one of the Pawn Stars.

Vasichkin:

Check with OP, he might want them. Also they are popular for those in snow country wanting to have extra set of winter tire/wheels.

I assume your 19's have the standard Toyo tires on them. What's your impressive of ride/handling/comfort/noise (NVH) after the change?

Ok I will.
I got them from the dealership with original toyo tires. noticed that braking feels a worse and acceleration is a bit slower too but that was to be expected due to extra rotational weight. The ride is a bit more harsh going over bumps.
They look amazing though.

Ok I will.
I got them from the dealership with original toyo tires. noticed that braking feels a worse and acceleration is a bit slower too but that was to be expected due to extra rotational weight. The ride is a bit more harsh going over bumps.
They look amazing though.

Thanks, as expected. Might check tire pressures, dealers tend to leave tires overinflated.

They are filled with nitrogen to the specs listed in the manual. That is something I have been always anal about is tire pressure.

Our car was picked based purely on the wheel size (19s)... Bose system, moonroof...

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned going to 18"s as an alternative.

Playing Devil's advocate here... One could go to a 225/60/18 as a happy compromise between the 17" and the 19". In that size there are plenty of tire and wheel options that would work for the CX-5.

I have the 19s and prefer the look. The 17" has too much sidewall for me but 18" in a 225/60/18 would be my peference than going to a 17".

Yes I'd look to go from 17" to 18" but they'd have to be lighter than the oem 17" and less than 10 spokes, 5 or 6 ideally. much easier to clean the wheels

Latest posts

Back