Why 19" Wheels

This.... this is why 19"... just cant stand the look of the 17" stock wheels

makes the cx5 look fat instead of muscular

19"
2012-Mazda-CX-5-AWD-SUV-side-cafe.jpg

17"
2013-Mazda-CX-5-right-side.jpg

I have the 17", but I'm not a fan of them either. I think, that I will go for the Mustang Brembo 19", just I need to find a good used set, for the right price. The offset is to high too, it needs to stick out a bit more.

LOve my GT. Unfortunately it only comes with 19" wheels. I know all the car makers are doing the same, not just Mazda. Other than looks (which is very subjective), is there any advantage to 19" wheels? I don't even want to think about what 4 new tires will cost me when they need to be replaced. I rotated my wheels this last weekend and I almost busted a nut
lifting those suckers.

I've been thinking about it since CX-5 was introduced. Looks, perhaps? I don't see the difference unless seen side by side.

I have also been browsing tire online stores and there seems to be much less choice of tires for 19" size vs 17".

I've had CX-5 with 19" tires as a loaner and 'handling' difference was zero. Nothing really as far as 19" tires is a pro IMO, with this car at least.

It's really a personal thing as the difference is mostly looks over performance. The CX-5 is not a car you typically put to task on a twisty road, too high of CG and lacking in power to make it even interesting. In my opinion 19's on this car is a bit much and they are getting close to that wagon wheel look. 18's would certainly be more proportional, but again this is just my opinion some may want 20's! Increasing rotational unsprung weight is not a good thing when setting up for performance. If the 19's were lighter than the 17's and the car was lowered with stiffer springs and swaybars then maybe you would get the benefit of the low aspect ratio tires. But if you are going to do all that just get the 5 door 3 and not a crossover. Again just opinion, and you know what they say about opinions..... :)

Certainly a subjective and mostly style preference thing. Given that I'm quite picky on styling plus refinement and have done 25K miles with the 19's, still 100% only choice for me. The ride/handling/style combination is at the top in this class of affordable compact crossover/SUVs. Less on topic was my other feature requirements standard w/GT.

Back