Who is getting (or planning to get) a CX-70?

We looked at the new X1 for my partner last weekend. Most unimpressed with the interior. Waaaaay too plasticky. And the center console is the goofiest thing I've ever seen. All you could possibly put in it would a v-shaped remote control of some sort or maybe pens or cards. It wouldn't even fit my iPhone 15 Pro Max. The real storage us under it, fully exposed, which could permit things to fall out during cornering. Makes no sense whatsoever.
Yeah, looks like the good old days when BMW catered to luxury are gone (now complete focus is only on performance)! Mercedes has cheapened somewhat but not to the same extent as BMW!

I'm sure the G45 will look better in person but my 2 year old X3 has suddenly become a valuable commodity!

Yeah, looks like the good old days when BMW catered to luxury are gone (now complete focus is only on performance)! Mercedes has cheapened somewhat but not to the same extent as BMW!

I'm sure the G45 will look better in person but my 2 year old X3 has suddenly become a valuable commodity!
I'm sure your X3 will be in demand. The interior of the new X3 is just a freaking horror show in my eyes. There are no HVAC controls to be found in a modern BMW these days. Having to dig through touch controls on a screen, no matter how nice the screen is, is just wrong, IMHO.

I so appreciate the physical HVAC buttons in my CX70. Something simple, shouldn't be made complex.

I picked up a new CX70 Soul Red Turbo S Premium Plus, with the beige interior yesterday. We had two Genesis GV70 and have had too many issues and are working out way to get out from Genesis. One of our GV70, is less than two months old and suffered catastrophic engine failure at 850 miles and Genesis is planning to replace the engine in a brand new car, which I've told them is unacceptable and no one seems to care. Living in Florida, the car will qualify for Lemon Law in 5 more days, so that's the next step to fully divorce from them.

View attachment 328693View attachment 328694
Lemon law works great. Had to do it several times and dealer bought it back. People seem unaware that you do not have to accept a rebuilt engine. I would get a new car instead. Not worth the risk down the line.

Lemon law works great. Had to do it several times and dealer bought it back. People seem unaware that you do not have to accept a rebuilt engine. I would get a new car instead. Not worth the risk down the line.
I have no intention of taking the car back with a newly built engine. I offered them the opportunity to replace the car almost 2 months ago. The dealer said they agree it was the right thing to do. Then not so promptly, I never heard from them again, so now I'm in the buyback stage and am fully ready to file under lemon law if they don't agree to buy the car back.

I have no intention of taking the car back with a newly built engine. I offered them the opportunity to replace the car almost 2 months ago. The dealer said they agree it was the right thing to do. Then not so promptly, I never heard from them again, so now I'm in the buyback stage and am fully ready to file under lemon law if they don't agree to buy the car back.
Do you need a lawyer to do this process?

Do you need a lawyer to do this process?
No. Genesis doesn't want me to file under the Lemon Law. It counts against them. So I formally told they I want them to buy the car back, which I'm now waiting for the final decision. They assign a case manager who gathers all the documents they need and then some higher power, waves a magic wand. It's just a frigging S L O W process.

No. Genesis doesn't want me to file under the Lemon Law. It counts against them. So I formally told they I want them to buy the car back, which I'm now waiting for the final decision. They assign a case manager who gathers all the documents they need and then some higher power, waves a magic wand. It's just a frigging S L O W process.
It's slow because Genesis is waiting for you to blink!
That's why rebates worked so well back in the day (they counted on you forgetting the expiration date)!

It's slow because Genesis is waiting for you to blink!
That's why rebates worked so well back in the day (they counted on you forgetting the expiration date)!
I have no intention of blinking. And I've told them I'm more than happy to file under Lemon Law, which is 100% on my side if I do. There's not an arbitration board out there who would side with Genesis here.

Back to the topic at hand... Who's thinking of getting a CX-70 next month? 😇

Dealer inventory on CX70s got fat real quick, and we've seen them just sit, some of our dealers haven't sold any. I expect to see some real deals start coming out next month.

Ultimately, while the 70 is cool and a great car in a vacuum, I think consumers generally would just prefer to take the extra row of seating for less money and roll with a 90 at this point. The 70 needs to be less expensive, or at the very least be the same, but dealers held firmer on discounts on month 1 (not uncommon for new models) and the result was... none sold and more 70s than 90s on the ground.

How do they justify the price difference for the same car less the third row?
For me, it was a no brainer. I don't want a 3 row SUV, so whether the same price or not, it was worth the price of admission to buy the CX70 as it fits my needs better.

If I'm understanding Ninja_Matt, the price difference is caused by better incentives on the older CX90 vs the CX70 and not the MSRP.
Partially correct, yes CX90 programs are a bit more favorable with things like Lease to Lease loyalty which is a major driver in Mazda business right now, but the programs are largely similar between the too. The bigger differentiator at least in our perspective is dealer participation, all the dealers followed the same classic drum beat of "new model, hold price, make money" - but I don't think the customers really came because the car truly just isn't a new or special enough model from the 90 for that to happen (for example, the Land Cruiser - MSRP waitlist car). This isn't a knock on the car at all, and I'm not saying all dealers held firm and you can't get a good deal on a CX70 - CX70 is a great car and you can get a good deal on one for sure - but the CX90 deals are just better, at least for us.

You can see this in our comparison deals sheet, the CX70 is not THAT much more expensive, if you really wanted one it wouldn't be prohibitively expensive to get one over a CX90 (note MSRPs as well that are being used for these sample offers, hedging the CX70 more favorably a hair), but what we are seeing is people are just like, for a few bucks less per month and with an extra row of seating, I'd rather take the CX90.

1719588551142.png

But heres the real reason I'm bullish on CX70s, dealer inventory. CX90 inventory is generally hard to get (partially due to replacing some of CX90 production with CX70 production) and CX70 inventory is building up, no manufacturer wants to launch a brand new model and see it fill up lots, dealer inventory makes manufacturers react. More dealer inventory, fewer dealer orders, less cash flow.

-Matt

Partially correct, yes CX90 programs are a bit more favorable with things like Lease to Lease loyalty which is a major driver in Mazda business right now, but the programs are largely similar between the too. The bigger differentiator at least in our perspective is dealer participation, all the dealers followed the same classic drum beat of "new model, hold price, make money" - but I don't think the customers really came because the car truly just isn't a new or special enough model from the 90 for that to happen (for example, the Land Cruiser - MSRP waitlist car). This isn't a knock on the car at all, and I'm not saying all dealers held firm and you can't get a good deal on a CX70 - CX70 is a great car and you can get a good deal on one for sure - but the CX90 deals are just better, at least for us.

You can see this in our comparison deals sheet, the CX70 is not THAT much more expensive, if you really wanted one it wouldn't be prohibitively expensive to get one over a CX90 (note MSRPs as well that are being used for these sample offers, hedging the CX70 more favorably a hair), but what we are seeing is people are just like, for a few bucks less per month and with an extra row of seating, I'd rather take the CX90.

View attachment 329487

But heres the real reason I'm bullish on CX70s, dealer inventory. CX90 inventory is generally hard to get (partially due to replacing some of CX90 production with CX70 production) and CX70 inventory is building up, no manufacturer wants to launch a brand new model and see it fill up lots, dealer inventory makes manufacturers react. More dealer inventory, less dealer orders, less cash flow.

-Matt
For June, I also saw the CX90 had 0.9% APR Mazda financing up to 60 months and CX70 had 2.9% for up to 36 months!

Anyone who's leasing better beware of dealer calcs (especially if they've been hit by the ransomware attack). Reliance on computers haven't forced finance guys to be really good at math!

"McCallum said he has heard directly from impacted dealerships, claiming that due to the difficulty of calculating leases by hand, for example, they have halted offering them completely."

Back