whistling/squeaking from engine bay? optimus prime?

chienb

:
2010 ms3
got my '10 msp3 a few weeks ago and driven 1400 mi so far. no racing or anything yet.
tonight, on the way home, a weird and loud squeak/whistle sounded like it was going to transform into optimus prime.
car was going 20-30 mph on normal road and the noise lasted for about 7 secs. sounded like it was coming from under the hood, but could be wrong. first time it happened.
anyone have any idea if this is normal or not?

Maybe I'm dense. I'm not sure I understand either one of these posts.

OP: Could you more clearly describe the noise using some phrase other than "optimus prime"? Has this phenemenon repeated itself? Have you looked under the hood with the engine running and can you identify the general area where this sound is being made? More information would be helpful.

"Autobots overlords" ? ? ? ?

heard the noise for the first time.
can't remember if the optimus prime part came first or the whistle.
any way, there was a loud whistle coming from what seems to be the engine bay (couldn't really tell as i was driving) followed by a noise that sounded like something was "aligning".
it went away after 7 secs. checked under the hood last night when i got home, seems to be fine...

Last edited:
hard to say with that info, maybe the serp belt tensioner? I thought i remember seeing mazda had a problem with them, not sure if that was for the 2010's though.

Maybe I'm dense. I'm not sure I understand either one of these posts.

OP: Could you more clearly describe the noise using some phrase other than "optimus prime"? Has this phenemenon repeated itself? Have you looked under the hood with the engine running and can you identify the general area where this sound is being made? More information would be helpful.

"Autobots overlords" ? ? ? ?

Optimus Prime is an autobot.

aaaand

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/i-for-one-welcome-our-new-overlords

I know, I know... it was a long shot.

Never got into Transformers fantasy, sorry.

But there are a lot of guys here that do know something about diagnosing problems with the MS3, so more info would be a big help if the issue still persists.

Back