Which Turbo Timer MSP6???

AWDRACER6

:
Mazdaspeed 6
I wanna get a turbo timer and i dont know anything about them! Where is the best place to get them? Are they interchangeable??? Meaning can I get on ebay and type in turbo timer and buy it or does it have to be for a certain car/turbo? Anyways, you guys know your stuff so help me out! Thanks!!!

So if i really wanted to i could get on ebay and buy the very first one that shows up? What about the ones that say there for the evo, nissan, sti, etc. How hard r they to install?

I have GReddy turbo timers. They have lap timer and speedometer digital readout as well. You can have your engine run anywhere from 10 seconds to 10 minutes after shutoff. I just got this account (GReddy) and I don't have any customer feedback on these yet so see what people have to say about them. They run about 95.00 shipped. They come in silver or black. PM me if you want the whole shabang I do not want to turn this thread into an add.

Last edited:
Yes honestly the TT really isn't needed. I have one from my old MSP and don't plan on putting it in the MS6. And if I remember correctly you can not lock the doors/activate alarm while the car is one.

Well, i have read where a lot of people say that. And say just let it run for a second. But its kinda a pain sometimes. Lets say i take it to the track and run it 5 times, then wait a minute is that ok? How do you know how long is ok. I thing the greddy TT will figure it for u...

TT will always do a base miniumum time. My Apex-i ALWAYS did at least 30 seconds. Usually like at the track you don't get a huge number of runs back to back to back and after each with little to no rest time. I don't know about your track, but at my track by the time you drive back from the end of the track your car has cooled quit a bit since I have to cruise at 15mph. sit in the car and let it cool for 30 secs max and it should be good.

freekwonder said:
TT will always do a base miniumum time. My Apex-i ALWAYS did at least 30 seconds. Usually like at the track you don't get a huge number of runs back to back to back and after each with little to no rest time. I don't know about your track, but at my track by the time you drive back from the end of the track your car has cooled quit a bit since I have to cruise at 15mph. sit in the car and let it cool for 30 secs max and it should be good.
Thats how mine is too. So you only need to let it cool down if you run it hard then stop?

TTs = waste of money. Spend it on a real mod.

Seriously, I don't even know who came up with the idea. Granted if you are WOT racing and pull into the pits and shut your car off, oil will boil in your turbo. But at normal cruising speeds and then pulling into a parking lot, finding a spot, and then shutting off your car...you will be just fine. If you absolutely needed a TT for every day driving Mazda would have incorporated some sort of timer into the car to prevent people from breaking them. I didn't even see anything in the owners manual pertaining to this.

Some people think they are a worth while mod, like a BOV. Some are just rice boys that say hey I have a turbo I HAVE to have a TT.

chuyler1 said:
TTs = waste of money. Spend it on a real mod...I didn't even see anything in the owners manual pertaining to this.

i agree that it's not worth buying one but it is indeed in the manual. my sales person took the time to point it out and said that i should let it idle for 30 seconds after driving it hard before shutting it off.

Bluesultan said:
i agree that it's not worth buying one but it is indeed in the manual. my sales person took the time to point it out and said that i should let it idle for 30 seconds after driving it hard before shutting it off.
Too bad i didnt have a good salesman! So what should i get if not a TT?? I just bought my Fujta CAI yesterday.. whats next??

exhaust? upgraded TMIC or FMIC? BOV?

There are endless mods to purchase that will actually improve performance. If you've got a hole in your pocket to burn that is.

chuyler1 said:
exhaust? upgraded TMIC or FMIC? BOV?

There are endless mods to purchase that will actually improve performance. If you've got a hole in your pocket to burn that is.
Im thinkin down pipe... Agreed???

the TT, according to a friend of mine who works at a tuning/mod garage...... a TT is only useful for cars with turbos that are pretty much oil cooled......from what I understand the turbo in the MS6 is like that of the WRX and Evo..... it is oil/water cooled..... there's really no need for one in the MS6 the manual says to let your engine run before shutting it down after hard driving or long freeway driving..... 30 seconds shouldn't be too long for you to wait, I usually just sit in the car and listen to a little bit of a song before i shut it off.

since you're not running an older oil cooled turbo you shouldn't have any problems with your car......they're more of a "safeguard" if anything or for people who are too impatient or forgetful to let their car run...... my father has an F350 turbo diesel.....but I plan to get him a timer......he does a lot of freeway driving and is always in a rush so he oftentimes forgets to let his engine cool down before turning off the truck.

Koenig said:
the TT, according to a friend of mine who works at a tuning/mod garage...... a TT is only useful for cars with turbos that are pretty much oil cooled......from what I understand the turbo in the MS6 is like that of the WRX and Evo..... it is oil/water cooled..... there's really no need for one in the MS6 the manual says to let your engine run before shutting it down after hard driving or long freeway driving..... 30 seconds shouldn't be too long for you to wait, I usually just sit in the car and listen to a little bit of a song before i shut it off.

since you're not running an older oil cooled turbo you shouldn't have any problems with your car......they're more of a "safeguard" if anything or for people who are too impatient or forgetful to let their car run...... my father has an F350 turbo diesel.....but I plan to get him a timer......he does a lot of freeway driving and is always in a rush so he oftentimes forgets to let his engine cool down before turning off the truck.
Well, i am usually running late for work... Haha. But im starting to realize its more of a conveince thing for lazy people.. I need one! Haha. But lets say I wanna get out and turn the car off because i let it cool already... Would the TT still run or can i cut it off??

AWDRACER6 said:
Well, i am usually running late for work... Haha. But im starting to realize its more of a conveince thing for lazy people.. I need one! Haha. But lets say I wanna get out and turn the car off because i let it cool already... Would the TT still run or can i cut it off??

Yeah I'm considering one for myself, cause I'm semi lazy and just in case that odd event I forget to let it cool, and I shut the car off.

There should be a cancel function to disable the timer before you turn the car off. Check out some of the few timers from greddy or even the fatt and dtt timers from blitz.... do a little research and call the company's customer service to better provide you with answers. or just give me a day or 2 and i'll ask my buddy :D

Koenig said:
Yeah I'm considering one for myself, cause I'm semi lazy and just in case that odd event I forget to let it cool, and I shut the car off.

There should be a cancel function to disable the timer before you turn the car off. Check out some of the few timers from greddy or even the fatt and dtt timers from blitz.... do a little research and call the company's customer service to better provide you with answers. or just give me a day or 2 and i'll ask my buddy :D
Ya, i feel ya on the forget part.. I have done that a few times too. But ya i have looked at the greddy one and im thinkin about going with that. I found it for $85. Have you ever installed one or seen one installed??

Back