Wheel & Tire Options

I just don't like the look of cars with aftermarket (wider and larger) rims without a lowered suspension. It further accentuates the wheel gap.
The diameter and sidewall height of the tire will be basically the same... should just be a little wider. I dont see how that will emphasize wheel gap, but then again I'm new at this.

I am curious and its just curiousity. I wanting to install a 18x8 but i want to run a 245/40/18. I want to run a wide tire so when i road race however if 235 is all i can tuck under there i gladly will. I'm going to run with Enkei Rpf01. Now if you can give me some good detail information as to what offset i may need it would greatly be appreciated.

I am curious and its just curiousity. I wanting to install a 18x8 but i want to run a 245/40/18. I want to run a wide tire so when i road race however if 235 is all i can tuck under there i gladly will. I'm going to run with Enkei Rpf01. Now if you can give me some good detail information as to what offset i may need it would greatly be appreciated.

You can run that setup.. But im betting your gonna have to roll the fenders especially the rear

Yep. With 245 you'll have to roll the rears for sure. Also I think you can go between 36 and 48ish offset for those, iirc.

I've experienced unusual tire wear and "grabby" (tend to pull one way or the other in deep ruts or uneven surfaces) when I tried a set of 4 tires with load rating of 89 on my MS6 (with stock rims). Now I've got tires with proper load rating of 93 (on after-market rims) and although I haven't noticed any excessive wear using tires with the right load rating, they are
still very "grabby". At high speeds on nice flat roads they're fine but otherwise not too sure what's going on. I get regular (2x per year wheel alignments when I switch from winter to summer rubbers) and don't experience these symptoms with my winter tires / stock wheels.

I have a 2004 Mazda 6s with stock 17 x 7" rims. Stock tires are 215/50/17. I'd like to put 225/50/17 tires on them but Tire Rack is concerned about rubbing in the rear of the vehicle. It IS tight between the inside of the 215/50/17 rear passenger side tire and the wall of the trunk. I can barely squeeze my fingers inbetween them (about 1/2" of clearance).
Has anyone else put 225/50/17 tires on stock 17 x 7 rims on a regular Mazda 6? Did they rub?

Last edited:
I'm going to say don't do a 50 series. A 40 series sidewall would be a little smaller as opposed to taller. A 50 series is what, about 15 mm taller in diameter then stock. That might be rubbing on suspension parts up front.

I just had my 225/45/18 installed on my stock MS6 with stock rims, and I don't know how people go ANY bigger without mods or rubbing. My upper control arm is literally millimeters from impacting the tire when parked and tires straight. After a few hard corners, I'll check the inside of the front tires for wear. I expect I'll need at least a 5mm spacer on the front. Then again, neither the front OR rear seem to look right in the wheel well when viewed from front or back, so I might end up doing spacers all around just to get the tires out and nearly flush with the fenders.

I'm on my second set of 225/45/18 snow tires on stock rims and they look and drive fine. My car is lowered 1". Spacers might improve the stance but they arent required for clearance.

Well just to have some input and maybe help some one.
I have 18 x 8" Enkei Razrs. Offset is +40 on 235/40/R18 Tires. With a stock suspension setup. I had to roll all the fenders and even than with 4 people in the car and full trunk the Back still rubs.
( I am now changing to a 18 x 7.5 rim with at least +48 offset. with a 225/45/18 Tire and lowered 1" We measured this at my local tune shop and should not rub!!!

Hope this helps some folks!

I've been running 245/40/18 tires on a 18x8.5 +44 wheel for a couple of years now. I had a good, hard roll in the rear (I haven't touched the front) and I don't rub, even on, high-speed bumps and dips. I'm lowered on H&R coilovers, but not stanced or stupidly low. Truth be told, I'm currently contemplating a wider wheel and/or a lower offset...

Taken during a cruise. Had two passengers (one in front, one in back) on a route that had a some hard cornering:

998195_197591833734760_2117457106_n_zpssxir1mzy.jpg

Back