Wheel sizing question for 2016 Mazda CX-5 Sport AWD

Wondering if anyone out there can help me with a couple of questions about wheel sizing for my 2016 Mazda CX-5 Sport AWD.

I'm looking to purchase a set of cheap used steel wheels to mount snow tires on. I found a set locally for only $50, but I'm not sure if they will work or not. The Craigslist ad says they're off a Subaru Outback and are 17 x 7" with 5 x 114.3 bolt pattern. No additional information is provided.

From what I can tell from some research I've done, the factory wheels are also 17 x 7" with a 5 x 114.3 bolt pattern. So these ones i'm looking at here seem to check those boxes. What i'm not sure about is center bore size. It looks like the center bore on the factory wheels might be 67.1mm. The Craigslist ad doesn't specify the center bore size. I can certainly ask the poster this question, but I guess i don't know how to interpret whatever he/she tells me. If it's 67.1mm or larger will it work, and if it's less than 67.1mm will it not work? Sorry if that's a dumb question, but I really don't know much about this at all (as you can probably tell).

More generally, if anyone happens to know off hand what other makes and models (besides Mazda) have wheels that might be interchangeable with a 2016 Mazda CX-5 Sport AWD, that would also be super helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Wondering if anyone out there can help me with a couple of questions about wheel sizing for my 2016 Mazda CX-5 Sport AWD.

I'm looking to purchase a set of cheap used steel wheels to mount snow tires on. I found a set locally for only $50, but I'm not sure if they will work or not. The Craigslist ad says they're off a Subaru Outback and are 17 x 7" with 5 x 114.3 bolt pattern. No additional information is provided.

From what I can tell from some research I've done, the factory wheels are also 17 x 7" with a 5 x 114.3 bolt pattern. So these ones i'm looking at here seem to check those boxes. What i'm not sure about is center bore size. It looks like the center bore on the factory wheels might be 67.1mm. The Craigslist ad doesn't specify the center bore size. I can certainly ask the poster this question, but I guess i don't know how to interpret whatever he/she tells me. If it's 67.1mm or larger will it work, and if it's less than 67.1mm will it not work? Sorry if that's a dumb question, but I really don't know much about this at all (as you can probably tell).

More generally, if anyone happens to know off hand what other makes and models (besides Mazda) have wheels that might be interchangeable with a 2016 Mazda CX-5 Sport AWD, that would also be super helpful.

Thanks in advance!
No... Subbie wheels have small centerbores(56 mm). Would be like trying to fit a small hose washer onto your big hub... it's too small. Even if you did get it on(which you won't) the offset is 55; and may push your tire into your suspension and rub, etc.

Check your offset and try to stay within a few mm either way. Try to keep same offset but offset can vary slightly, if needed.

Centerbore needs to be exact, if too small it won't fit, too big and the wheel won't be centered, could get dangerous, break the studs and wheel(s) fall off while driving. Aftermarket rims provide hub rings to help center wheel. Easier to just get rim with same centerbore.

Get another Mazda wheel(hard to find but they are out there), or a Kia or Hyundai wheels.

I got a Kia Sorento alloy(non rust) for $100 at local junkyard to use for fullsize spare... Cb 67.1, offset 47(my 2018 offset is 45, yours may be 50 but this Kia rim would still work for you). Some junkyards sell the rims with decent used tires attached(will be great if the tires are close in diameter so can use for summer... just get new winter tires)
Go to the junkyard(foreign parts), they will let you inspect it, and look rim(s) over for bends and cracks before buying. Mine was almost new condition. Also got a steel mini-spare that was rusted and required sanding & repainting. If you need a steel mini-spare, get one that's not rusted

See my posts in "Sleek and modest offroad" concerning fullsize spare and mini-spares.

Also if you're get lucky you might find a great deal on eBay... I got a set of BBS rims for $475. So deals are out there if you look.

Go to Home - Wheelfitment.eu - PCD, Offset, Center Bore, mounting and tire size data
to located suitable replacement Mazda, Hyundai and Kia models and years. There are others listed but easiest to find Mazda, Kia or Hyundai.
* Some models and years may not fit so you will need to research what will and see what's available on ebay, craigslist or at junkyard

Last edited:
I used to get rims from a couple of those self serve ' u wrench it ' parts places.
I got a number (odd number😞) of alloy rims for just over $20 each with tires, and when I took the tire back thet refunded about half😁!!!

I inquired about steel rims and they told me they usually remove them and weld to the bottom of the wreck to support it. Not much demand but they helped me locate several for less than $15@.

I don't know which Mazda models of recent years have steel wheels but using the Mazda brand simplifies fitment.

Steel might be a bit sturdier but you might find alloys for a good price and they are lighter.

No... Subbie wheels have small centerbores(56 mm). Would be like trying to fit a small hose washer onto your big hub... it's too small. Even if you did get it on(which you won't) the offset is 55; and may push your tire into your suspension and rub, etc.

Check your offset and try to stay within a few mm either way. Try to keep same offset but offset can vary slightly, if needed.

Centerbore needs to be exact, if too small it won't fit, too big and the wheel won't be centered, could get dangerous, break the studs and wheel(s) fall off while driving. Aftermarket rims provide hub rings to help center wheel. Easier to just get rim with same centerbore.

Get another Mazda wheel(hard to find but they are out there), or a Kia or Hyundai wheels.

I got a Kia Sorento alloy(non rust) for $100 at local junkyard to use for fullsize spare... Cb 67.1, offset 47(my 2018 offset is 45, yours may be 50 but this Kia rim would still work for you). Some junkyards sell the rims with decent used tires attached(will be great if the tires are close in diameter so can use for summer... just get new winter tires)
Go to the junkyard(foreign parts), they will let you inspect it, and look rim(s) over for bends and cracks before buying. Mine was almost new condition. Also got a steel mini-spare that was rusted and required sanding & repainting. If you need a steel mini-spare, get one that's not rusted

See my posts in "Sleek and modest offroad" concerning fullsize spare and mini-spares.

Also if you're get lucky you might find a great deal on eBay... I got a set of BBS rims for $475. So deals are out there if you look.

Go to Home - Wheelfitment.eu - PCD, Offset, Center Bore, mounting and tire size data
to located suitable replacement Mazda, Hyundai and Kia models and years. There are others listed but easiest to find Mazda, Kia or Hyundai.
* Some models and years may not fit so you will need to research what will and see what's available on ebay, craigslist or at junkyard

Thanks for the response and info here!

I suspected the center bore on the Subaru rims might be too small for my Mazda, but wasn't entirely sure. And I hadn't really considered the offset either, so thanks for the heads-up on that, too.

Agree that just getting Mazda rims with the same center bore is the best and easiest solution here. I'm cheap though, and was really hoping I might be able to make these ones I saw on Craigslist for $50 for a set of 4 work. With the diameter and bolt pattern looking to be correct, I was hoping it would be a go. Clearly there's more than just the diameter and bolt pattern though, in ensuring an alternate rim will fit.

Thanks for the suggestion of checking a local junkyard for Mazda, Kia, or Hyundai rims that may work. I may consider doing this. Like I said, I'm cheap and looking for a cost effective way of doing this.

Great site you linked there, too! That's super helpful!

Thanks again!

I considered looking for Mazda Tribute steel wheels. I think it was essentially the predecessor of the
cx5.

I considered looking for Mazda Tribute
Great idea. Looked at these as well...
As wanted to drop to 16". For me they got me down to 16x7 but were too heavy(trying to shed unsprung weight) and not in great shape/alot of miles.
I'm now doing aftermarket new Montegi 16 inchers.

OP didn't say if wanted 16 or 17 inch.

If the OP wants cheap 16's they should work(if gets right years) but won't allow to fit on turbo model or allow upgrading to big brakes. They might have tribute 17's but I only saw 16's.

If OP wants 17", then later model Mazda's or kia Sorento might be way to go. My Sorento 17 inch was from a 2016 and in almost new shape and sorta matched my BBS wheels/nice design.

Even though I'm switching to 16 inch, still keeping the fullsize 17 inch Sorento as spare.

Last edited:
Great idea. Looked at these as well...
As wanted to drop to 16". For me they got me down to 16x7 but were too heavy(trying to shed unsprung weight) and not in great shape/alot of miles.
I'm now doing aftermarket new Montegi 16 inchers.

OP didn't say if wanted 16 or 17 inch.

If the OP wants cheap 16's they should work(if gets right years) but won't allow to fit on turbo model or allow upgrading to big brakes. They might have tribute 17's but I only saw 16's.

If OP wants 17", then later model Mazda's or kia Sorento might be way to go. My Sorento 17 inch was from a 2016 and in almost new shape and sorta matched my BBS wheels/nice design.

Even though I'm switching to 16 inch, still keeping the fullsize 17 inch Sorento as spare.
The factory wheels on my Mazda are 17”. Tire size is 225/65R17. I hadn’t considered using a rim other than a 17” one for snow tires. I assumed I’d need to get a 17” again. Sounds like you’re saying a 16” would work though.

I just found some other cheap steel ones here that are listed as 16x6.5 that will fit Mazda.

Would these work? What are the implications of using a smaller rim than the factory rim? What size tires would I need to run on a 16” rim, compared to the tires currently on my car?

Sorry for all of the questions.

The factory wheels on my Mazda are 17”. Tire size is 225/65R17. I hadn’t considered using a rim other than a 17” one for snow tires. I assumed I’d need to get a 17” again. Sounds like you’re saying a 16” would work though.

I just found some other cheap steel ones here that are listed as 16x6.5 that will fit Mazda.

Would these work? What are the implications of using a smaller rim than the factory rim? What size tires would I need to run on a 16” rim, compared to the tires currently on my car?

Sorry for all of the questions.
As long as you don't have a turbo, then there are 16 inch rims that will work...depending on the offset, centerbore and spoke curvature. The only way to check whether spoke curvature will impede your brake calipers is to test fit it as I found out...

I am waiting for backordered aftermarket 16's to see if they fit. If not
will need to go with an older Mazda 3, Mazda 6 or Mazda tribute wheels. Some of the Mazda 3 rims look really nice.

To see pictures of caliper clearance and for more info see my thread "cx5 sleeknand modest Offroad mods". Thread also has different 16 inch aftermarket option(s) like the montegi rim with pics.

a 16 x 7 will fit 225 70r16 or 235 70r16. Those are two safest diameter tires to the 225 65r17.

the 16 x6.5 rim will fit the 225(thinner and better for winter) and may fit the 235.
If you want the wider 235,check tirerack.com to see if the 235's fit.

Smaller rims give more sidewall and ride more comfortable over bumps.
Quality tires cost less, rim and tire combo could be lighter and improve acceleration.

However handling and fuel efficient might be slightly affected. For me it's worth the tradeoff.

Last edited:
the 16 x6.5 rim will fit the 225(thinner and better for winter) and may fit the 235.
Yes!

Smaller rims give more sidewall and ride more comfortable over bumps.
Quality tires cost less, rim and tire combo could be lighter and improve acceleration.

However handling and fuel efficient might be slightly affected. For me it's worth the tradeoff.
Yes, nice and simple description to the difference between different tire ratios with the same overall diameter (standard or low-profile) on tires!

I will add that went back and forth between 17 and 16 inch ...

Chose the 16" for higher sidewall, bump/pothole handling, highway comfort, Off-roading, more lightweight
and better acceleration.

* Am keeping the 17 in storage though so can always go back.

But as far as looks, the 17" is the best size hands down for proportional looks on a CX5.

Just like a small body with too large a head or large body with too small head, the cx5 has a right proportional wheel/tire and it's the 17.

No matter which brand/style rim you choose, 17 inch just looks like it's meant to be there... 18 and 19 too large... And the 16 just a bit undersized.

Look at pics 1st and judge for yourself.

Last edited:
As long as you don't have a turbo, then there are 16 inch rims that will work...depending on the offset, centerbore and spoke curvature.

So these 16 inch ones i'm looking at here apparently came off of a Mazda5 (not sure of the year), and have a +55mm offset. Earlier on in the thread here you mentioned that Subaru wheels might not work since they also have a 55mm offset.

From what I can tell from the site you linked earlier, my factory wheel offset is 50mm. So we're looking at a 5mm difference in offset here. Is that 5mm difference really a deal breaker, or can there be a slight variation in offset?

I acknowledge you also stated that the only way to find out for sure is to test fit, but wondered if you happen to know off-hand if a 5mm variation in offset would be acceptable? I kind of hate to buy these, get them home, test fit them, and only then find out they don't work. I suppose I could always re-sell them, but i'd prefer to just avoid them altogether if I know they won't work.

Last edited:
Do you have more info or a link?

No link, unfortunately.

Here's all the info i have on them:

-16x6.5 steel wheels
-Came off of a Mazda5 (year unspecified)
-Bolt pattern is 5x114.3
-Offset is +55mm
-Part number looks to be: X-66014
-Center bore looks to be 67.1

No link, unfortunately.

Here's all the info i have on them:

-16x6.5 steel wheels
-Came off of a Mazda5 (year unspecified)
-Bolt pattern is 5x114.3
-Offset is +55mm
-Part number looks to be: X-66014
-Center bore looks to be 67.1
Being that the rim width is only 6.5 and that your original offset is 50(mine was 45) then they might work.
What rim size are you downsizing from? Check my post #40 on my thread sleek and modest offroad mods for pics of 16 inch rims and frame/suspension clearance on a 2018. My 2018 was a 45 offset and 16 x7 rim is very tight(maybe 6 to 8 mm from suspension) but doable. If possible buy a cheap beat up steel one for $10 to $25 and test it out. Use that for a spare. Then buy your other 4 better ones.

What rim size are you downsizing from?
Factory rim is 17x7, running 225/65R17 tires.

If possible buy a cheap beat up one for $25 and test it out. Use that for a spare. Then buy your other 4 better ones.
These are on Craigslist. The guy has a set of 4 of them, and wants $10 each. I assume he wants to sell as a set, otherwise he'd probably have a real tough go getting rid of the remaining 3 if I only bought 1. For $40, maybe I just buy them. I'm thinking that's a real fair price. Again, I just hate to buy them and then have them not work. Then I have to get rid of them and also still find ones that work.

Factory rim is 17x7, running 225/65R17 tires.
Going from 7" to 6.5 " means you'll lose .25 inches(or approx 6mm) from inner side. Which should in theory negate the 5 mm higher offset(50 mm to 55 mm) so technically it should be a wash/ even steven. They should work... But always best to try test fit first.

Wait you might have a problem with rim hitting brakes...gonna be very close.

Also gonna pull your wheel further in(approx. 10 mm in) the wheel well if you don't mind that look.
These are on Craigslist. The guy has a set of 4 of them, and wants $10 each. I assume he wants to sell as a set, otherwise he'd probably have a real tough go getting rid of the remaining 3 if I only bought 1. For $40, maybe I just buy them. I'm thinking that's a real fair price. Again, I just hate to buy them and then have them not work. Then I have to get rid of them and also still find ones that work.
For only $40 you could snag them and always resell if don't work.

Or take a chance they won't be sold, go to junkyard and get one to try first.
You risk losing the four though.

You should call your local junkyard and see if they have any 16" Mazda 3 /Mazda 6 rims with 50 offset.

Here's diagram.. look at picture 2 and how close rim is to brake caliper, and read brake summary... you really should test fit first

Attachments

• 16 inch rim clearance summary.png
    16 inch rim clearance summary.png
    95.2 KB · Views: 170
  • 16 x 6.5  rim to brake clearance.png
    16 x 6.5 rim to brake clearance.png
    60.8 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Price sounds great, unless they are in poor condition.

Mazda 5 is a pretty big vehicle, so it might have similar brakes, or not?

I'm not sure how to tell, without trying to mount them.

Also.. you sure they're 55 mm and not 50 mm ? Double-check the websites.

If need be you could always throw a spacer in...you can buy 3 mm aluminum spacers for Mazda @ about $50 for four(4). That was my first option.

Or if handy make your own... I was going to buy some 6" diameter aluminum or stainless steel discs of 2.6 mm thick and drill lug holes in them. If you can't find discs then a little more work to buy sheet aluminum from home store and cut out yourself.

That should get you away from the brakes.

Would paint the spacer regardless of which type metal you use.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Back