Wheel Project Thread

mobius120487

The Stig
:
2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD
Hey yall!!! Just finished on my most recent project!!! Tell me what yall think!!! Thanks!!!

DSC00132.jpg

DSC00130.jpg

DSC00131.jpg

DSC00135.jpg

DSC00138.jpg

GlisteninginSun.jpg

NewWheels.jpg

Thx again for any constructive criticism yall!!!

It looked good until I lost my vision from the sun's glare on the second to last picture. LOL! Great job.

did you paint your lug nuts ? I'm in the proccess of painting my wheels black and my lug nuts red but obviously when I tighten them on the wheel they loose some of their paint - tell me what you did .. if you bought them lemme know where so hopefully they'll hve some red ones

Wow that looks great. I wanna paint my wheels black as well. What paint did you use.

I sanded off the old finish with 1000 grit sandpaper, then used "Clean Metal Primer" (2 coats), then "High Performance Wheel" spray paint, a black and a clear coat (2 coats each in that order), 1 Can of spray paint covered 2 wheels before it was almost dead, all of the above supplies i got from Autozone....any other questions just shoot me a PM or w/e....glad to help if i can

did you paint your lug nuts ? I'm in the proccess of painting my wheels black and my lug nuts red but obviously when I tighten them on the wheel they loose some of their paint - tell me what you did .. if you bought them lemme know where so hopefully they'll hve some red ones

I did paint the nuts with previously mentioned method 2X base coat, 2X Color, 2X Clear and after it dried it still came up with the tire iron putting the nuts back on, so i went back to autozone and just bought blue nuts cuz i've accents of blue around the car, it was like $32 for nuts that came with wheel locks, even still like a small corner or 2 chipped from torque but still soooooo much better.....idk how u could paint and keep it on there, the torque just seems toooo much

They look good. It's funny how much of a difference a coat of paint makes. You should have made sure to paint the edge of the wheel. It's hard to do using the index card method but you wouldn't have that ring around the wheel that is visible in the last picture. It also helps to flip the wheel over and do the inside of the wheel too. I am currently painting a set of wheels too but I don't have tires on them so it is much easier to get good coverage. You can get great results with spray paint if you take the time to do good prep.

Ya, that rim of the wheel was almost impossible being the tires were still on, i'm cool with it though, first time i've tried something of the nature.....but yes, great prep really paid off

I have never actually tried it but i was told that a creamy type hand cleaner carefully smeared on the tire works well to prevent painting your tires instead of using masking tape. I would think that it would work real well in helping to get the wheel lip and not the tire. After the paint on the wheel has dried you can just hose off the hand cleaner and have a nice clean unpainted tire.
I painted satin black on the inside edges only on my stockers I love the look, it appers that only the outer part is there the inside disappears. I will post some pics so you can see what I mean.

Last edited:
I have never actually tried it but i was told that a creamy type hand cleaner carefully smeared on the tire works well to prevent painting your tires instead of using masking tape. I would think that it would work real well in helping to get the wheel lip and not the tire. After the paint on the wheel has dried you can just hose off the hand cleaner and have a nice clean unpainted tire.QUOTE]

Actually vasoline works great in this case! Its also good to use if your painting some form of lip or trying to do some kind of design. Its just easier to work with than tape and less time consuming

I'm gonna try to find them at autozone because mine are kinda chipped. the top
of them which you see isn't but it's bothering me

Back