What's up with MSP resale?

I knew everything about the car as soon as it came out. I was in the market for a replacement car and the MSP was on my short list. My list included an RSX type S, Mini Cooper S, Sentra SE-R V-spec, and an Altima V6 5-speed.

I bought mine with 21000 miles for 16000$ about 2 years ago, Thre stealership thought it was a reg protege.....suckers lol.

Bought mine with 8,000 mi. on it for $16k almost 3 years ago. I had a few possibles on my list (WRX, SRT-4, P5), but the Spicy MSP was at the top. I just couldn't get it out of my head. My history with 323-based vehicles goes back 15 years, so it didn't take much for me to make up my mind. As for marketing, the magazines did a pretty good job of that. I still have my Motor Trend with the Spicy on the cover.

ther was one on autotrader a while back selling for 21,000 with 7,000 miles dont know if it sold or not but im sure someone bought it for atleast 18,000

evilmonkeyMSP said:
Its ok Rush....I was looking to get an SRT4 too.... glad I didnt...
You and me both!

What the hell else did I look at before deciding on the MSP? I went to check out WRX's, but just couldn't swallow the appearance -- though they did have an STi on the lot, and that was tempting, but the price tag did it's job. Looked at the RSX Type S, but that was a lil' outta my price range. And .. I'm pretty sure I looked at the VW GTI (the 20th edition thinger, I believe), but the hatchback thing is just NOT my style.

I wonder a lot now, though .. if it would have been wiser to have just bitten the $30K price tag for an STi or EVO back in the day. With all the money I've put into modding the MSP, and having things repaired .. I just dunno.

Rush said:
You and me both!

What the hell else did I look at before deciding on the MSP? I went to check out WRX's, but just couldn't swallow the appearance -- though they did have an STi on the lot, and that was tempting, but the price tag did it's job. Looked at the RSX Type S, but that was a lil' outta my price range. And .. I'm pretty sure I looked at the VW GTI (the 20th edition thinger, I believe), but the hatchback thing is just NOT my style.

I wonder a lot now, though .. if it would have been wiser to have just bitten the $30K price tag for an STi or EVO back in the day. With all the money I've put into modding the MSP, and having things repaired .. I just dunno.

All in all, you can atleast have the ability to say that you are unique, and not a cookie cutter just like everyone else. I will always fall back on that myself when I think about my car. Knowing that I'll probably not bump into a MSP every damn corner like you do hondas, subys, or evos, and the run of the mil ricer mobiles that i happen to of forgot.

I cant get 17k for mine with 23k in parts and receipts in aftermarket on it, and on 24k miles on the chassis, 7k on a built mam block... ******* REDICULOUS. (omg)

Rush said:

Come'on, STi & EVOs are not invincible, unbreakable cars. I'm sure they have their share of problems too. And don't tell me you would not have been tempted to mod any of those cars.... and the cost to mod them with aftermarket parts would not be cheaper than modifying a MSP... well, for brand new parts that is.... you're talking approximately $15K worth of modification to the MSP to reach the level of a new stock STi or possibly EVO....

Allen said:
Come'on, STi & EVOs are not invincible, unbreakable cars. I'm sure they have their share of problems too. And don't tell me you would not have been tempted to mod any of those cars.... and the cost to mod them with aftermarket parts would not be cheaper than modifying a MSP... well, for brand new parts that is.... you're talking approximately $15K worth of modification to the MSP to reach the level of a new stock STi or possibly EVO....
I'm not saying they're invincible -- but they sure as s*** don't come with NEARLY as many problems outta the factory as the MSP. They aren't mapped to run like absolute retards, they don't have stock suspension clunks, their LSD's don't spontaneously break, they faithfully run more than 6 pounds of boost, and so on.

All I was saying that was to get a MSP on the same level as a stock STi or EVO -- and to do so safely -- you have to put out a shitload of money. Which, in the end, would be the same 'total cost' if you were to just have bought an STi or EVO straight-up. Hell, look at Dae' up there. Perfect example.

And of course I would've modded an STi or EVO, if that's what I'd purchased -- but really, how much needs to be done? Cosmetic stuff, sure. But engine-wise, where the MSP really guzzles up the cash? Nah. Not nearly the same investment needed to make power.

THAT is what I think about a lot these days.

BLU BY U said:
I sold mine 3 months ago for $14,300 55k on it!!!!

Any hints . . . Ditto to how'd you pull that off?

My instinct was that people just don't know what the car is. And I think a lot of the people who do, do not have the funds (young) to join. All I know is that selling my MSP has become a PIA.

All stock, still warrantied with 47k miles, and I've got it listed at $12k on CL SF...I barely get a bite. Then I see '03 protege5's being sold for $9-$13k. It blows me away that the wagon has such a better resale than the limited, great handling MSP...(sad1)

Yea i never even heard about the msp. Til one day me and my friend were drivng and i saw one at a gas station. I said " what is that orange car over there?" And my friend said "that's the mazdaspeed protege you haven't heard of them?' So i went home searched for one and found an orange one with 21k on it and bought it 3 days later. Still got it now it has 58k on it.

Rush said:
I'm not saying they're invincible -- but they sure as s*** don't come with NEARLY as many problems outta the factory as the MSP. They aren't mapped to run like absolute retards, they don't have stock suspension clunks, their LSD's don't spontaneously break, they faithfully run more than 6 pounds of boost, and so on.

All I was saying that was to get a MSP on the same level as a stock STi or EVO -- and to do so safely -- you have to put out a shitload of money. Which, in the end, would be the same 'total cost' if you were to just have bought an STi or EVO straight-up. Hell, look at Dae' up there. Perfect example.

And of course I would've modded an STi or EVO, if that's what I'd purchased -- but really, how much needs to be done? Cosmetic stuff, sure. But engine-wise, where the MSP really guzzles up the cash? Nah. Not nearly the same investment needed to make power.

THAT is what I think about a lot these days.

I totally hear you on this... what makes me feel ok about owning the MSP though is that within my small neighborhood alone there are 3 STi's and 2 Evo's and I've only seen 2 other MSP's at all on Long Island though I'm sure there are more than that. I didn't buy the car initially to be a rocket ship more so I owned a car that I won't bump into everywhere I go. It was the same way with my MX-6 before that. How many of those do you see with any sort of work done to them? The MSP has a soul to it... yes it costs a butt load of money for us to get them where we want to but I'd still rather spend 23K on my MSP and hold pace with an Evo than spend 35K on an Evo and be like everyone else!

The problem is that whether we as owners know how great this car is, it seems like not many other folks do. It is amaizing to me that someone would by a '03 civic (boring) for $12-$14k, while my MSP sits with a For Sale sign on it.

lisevolution said:
I totally hear you on this... what makes me feel ok about owning the MSP though is that within my small neighborhood alone there are 3 STi's and 2 Evo's and I've only seen 2 other MSP's at all on Long Island though I'm sure there are more than that. I didn't buy the car initially to be a rocket ship more so I owned a car that I won't bump into everywhere I go. It was the same way with my MX-6 before that. How many of those do you see with any sort of work done to them? The MSP has a soul to it... yes it costs a butt load of money for us to get them where we want to but I'd still rather spend 23K on my MSP and hold pace with an Evo than spend 35K on an Evo and be like everyone else!

I agree 100% that they certainly are unique. Since I bought mine, I have only seen two other MSP's on the road. However I go most days without even seeing an Evo or STi, and I have an hour drive to work everyday. If I could have (and wasn't saving for a wedding or a house) I would have gotten an Evo RS ($27k invoice...should not pay much more than that) and put in an mbc, exhaust, FMIC and pipes, cams, DSMLink, and injectors. Proven mid-high 11 second car with only $3k or so in mods. Can't be beat imho.

Back