What would you change about your CX-9?

Weird... My 2010 GT works just fine with 2 keys inside.
I totally agree with those pointing out the paint, it's just horrible. Not being able to play with Nav when the car is moving is driving me nuts.

Same with my 08. Wife's "dumb key" is always in her purse. Mine in my pocket and never an issue.

The Australian model has both front and rear parking sensor. I want that. Also an inverter. I want that. And headlight washer, just because. Auto rain sensing wipers. Mirror tilts down backing up. Optional Mazda accessories: dual headrest screens. And headlights covers, just because. Check out their website Mazda.com.au

Just purchased 2012 GT CX9. Major issue I have is there are no backup grid lines on the backup camera display. Basically backing up without the line images is a pain. Makes the camera useless. I have driven many many cars with a rear view cameras and this is the first I have seen without the screen image. 2011 CX9s have the image, 2012s do not. Mazda says the tsunami caused them to source the camera from a different supplier. I want a RECALL!!!!

2012 CX9 Backup Camera Issue

Just purchased 2012 GT CX9. Major issue I have is there are no backup grid lines on the backup camera display. Basically backing up without the line images is a pain. Makes the camera useless. I have driven many many cars with a rear view cameras and this is the first I have seen without the screen image. 2011 CX9s have the image, 2012s do not. Mazda says the tsunami caused them to source the camera from a different supplier. I want a RECALL!!!!

UPDATE****************

Mazda just called me again and they are NOT going to fix or recall the Camera due to lack of the backup grid image. They say the camera works and the lack of the backup grid is not a malfunction or Recall item.

didn't you test drive it and check out the camera function prior to purchase? No manufacturer is going to recall something that is functioning properly.

I guess some of this are not much realistic, but are present in other SUVs (not all of them). So... is like a christmas list
  • posibility of close all windows from outside using the remote control, not only from the door

You can open, not close with remote.
Again, lawyers really care about your safety and that of your love ones. Trust me, they really do!

Last edited:
The wife's 2009 Honda Pilot does not have a grid on the back up camera.
I cannot really say I use either one the cameras 100% of the time when I'm backing up.
The Pilot has the Proximity Sensors and I do wish that I had those on the Mazda.
Kinda wish the mirrors would pull in like my Truck does, when I push the Mirror adjust button.
This would help with Car Wash's and such.
I think my biggest complaint with the Nav is the lock out but I will get used to setting my destination in before I leave.
Would be nice if I could program a trip on my computer or tablet at home and then bring that trip to the car with all the points I want to stop at.
Wish that when you are streaming music (Pandora) from your phone thru the bluetooth that the song would display, this is most likely a issue with the protocol used for the link between the car and the phone, but would be nice.
Only Seven years and 11 months until I buy another car, so I got time before I have to look.

This is a "major" issue? People have been backing up for years without gridlines--or cameras, for that matter.

I've only had the car 3 days, but it seems you can't manually enter numbers into the Bluetooth phone book. My wife's RAZR can't down load its phone book, and most of her Blackberry contacts are work numbers--so it doesn't make sense to download that phone book.

So--THAT'S what I would change-- manual entry of phone book entries.

Got a new one that has really started to aggravate me. You should be able to use climate control without running the AC compressor. I am not talking about the defroster requiring AC, I get that. I am just talking about using the dash \ floor vents with different temperatures on the 3 zones.

I understand that it needs to run periodically for lubrication purposes, but is it necessary for the climate control to work? If its 55 outside, and i want my side to be 70 with my wifes at 74 there should be no need for the AC compressor to run. It should be able to use the vented air to adjust temperature if needed.

It just seems wasteful to add the extra wear on the compressor, and decrease the mpgs, in order to use climate control feature.

My 2008 does not have the ability to autolock the doors when the car starts moving (I think the newer models can do that?).

Some people think autolock is useless, but it does add a tiny bit of an element of safety, especially when you consider what I read today about an attempted carjacking. Had she not locked the doors in time, could have been trouble...

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/02/10980850-cops-quick-thinking-mom-foils-carjacking-attempt
"The woman had just pulled out of the parking lot when a man approached her car at a stoplight and grabbed the door handle, according to Port Authority of NY/NJ police spokesman Al Della Fave.
Della Fave said the woman locked the doors. Then the gunman banged on her window and fired two shots into the ground, he said."

This is a "major" issue? People have been backing up for years without gridlines--or cameras, for that matter.

Yes, people have been backing up for years but rarely in vehicles with as bad rear vision as a CX9. The backup camera is quite crucial to safe backing with this vehicle. I wish they had a higher resolution camera/screen and one that was less subject to glare (both camera and nav screen). The 2012 Durango has what appears to be HD TV compared to less than VGA for the CX9. I'm kinda surprised they don't update that on the Mazda even before a major model change.

Within a month of ownership of a 2012 GT, here are my few minor gripes
- better gas mileage
- air vents in the 3rd row (not just floor vents) or put vents in 2nd row high up in the B pillars
- proximity sensors and gridlines in back up camera
- more space between 1st row and 2nd row (I have an infant seat behind the drivers seat and due to its size I need to move my seat forward. I know many will tell me put the car seat somewhere else but I think it is the most convenient for me; or at least have the 2nd row slide more towards the back)
- good to have the right side mirror tilt down on reverse
- programmable doors to unlock when I put car in park (maybe it's available I just don't know how to do it)
- ability to preset the height of the power liftgate
- ability to get the moonroof and RSES combo!! - and consequently larger windows/taller roof?
- conversation mirror
- better material on the sun visors (I know it will easily get dirty with time and it seems it's hard to clean)
- 18" or maybe a 19" instead of 20" on a GT (just me)

Yes, people have been backing up for years but rarely in vehicles with as bad rear vision as a CX9. The backup camera is quite crucial to safe backing with this vehicle. I wish they had a higher resolution camera/screen and one that was less subject to glare (both camera and nav screen). The 2012 Durango has what appears to be HD TV compared to less than VGA for the CX9. I'm kinda surprised they don't update that on the Mazda even before a major model change.

I totally agree that the backup camera is a great thing--I don't agree that lack of lines or a high res screen is a "major issue".

The ability to lower the front seats for increased headroom.

No annoying warning chimes to signal that the "automatic" lights have been left on when the key is removed.

Higher quality paint finish. Rust on liftgate and corrosion on almost every fastener on underbody after 4-5 years.

Higher quality carpet. The fuzzy crap used on the floor holds dirt like velcro.

Longer wearing tie rods. I'm on the third set, and do not go off road or hit curbs, only highway and (crappy) city streets.

It would have been nice to have original brake discs that failed/disintegrated due to rust/poor metal replaced at a reduced cost, since the failure was due to a poor quality issue and not typical ware and tear.

Better OE tires. The original Bridgestone tires showed lots of cracks in sidewalls and between tread blocks at 3.5 years.

Not specific to the CX9, but both the Mazda dealers I've been to have not been aware of common problem issues that Mazda has issued TSBs on.

Back